Jack Monroe #22 The Condiments Thread. Jack's in a pickle over mayonnaise.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you! Haven't read Half of a Yellow Sun - will get it, because I LOVE God of Small Things, and therefore can trust your recommendation.
Half of a Yellow Sun is an incredible book, she also wrote Americanah, which is equally brilliant and particularly poignant at this time.

Americanah tells the story of a young girl from Nigeria who immigrated to the USA to attend Uni, deals with a lot of issues that are currently very relevant.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I read a lot and have made a decision that as soon as I'm done with my current book, I'll only read books by authors who are from different ethnicities to mine for the rest of the year. I haven't ever chosen an author based on their skin colour, but I think by default I read a lot more by white authors - they are more prominently around me. So taking this tiny extra step of actively seeking out different authors may help me shift my perspective and learn something new.
This is such a great idea, I think I'll follow suit! I don't really read many white male authors anymore, not for any political reason, but because I find them generally boring at best and fury-inducing at worst. I can recommend My Sister, The Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite.

Also, I meant to ask, and I'm sorry I can't remember who mentioned it in the last thread - is PoC not a good terminology? I think I've used it and I just genuinely don't know - I think that some people think BAME is not great either (a term I've used too, for want of a better one).

Reactions: 7
Hmm my husband is also a POC, I’m white... I very much respect our different life experiences and adjust my way of thinking/talking according to that.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
honestly our intentions aren’t to make you feel like tit or be upset, so please don’t be and it breaks my heart to think of any of our haus fraus upset! I asked about drink because it seemed so uncharacteristic & it was a tiny bit bizarre - and as you’ve said, felt more like a bad judgment call than an out and out racist tirade as it wasn’t! Something just felt off.

You owe me an apology.

My husband is a man of colour, should I look at him as a man of colour, or just my husband?
are these all your own words @Bellybutton, i’m not sure how to read it or if some is a quote?

Reactions: 3
Bit of a turnaround from your self flagellation mere hours ago @Bellybutton lint. You’re being a bit of a twit now.

Your husband is a man, a father possibly, a son, a brother maybe, he works, he is a husband, a Lib/Lab/Con voter, a whisky drinker (or whatever), a man of colour, a huge Eastenders fan - he has a multifacered fully human personality and if you see any of it, you will also see his colour. His colour, as well as all the other parts of him made him the man he is that you fell in love with. Colour is important. It’s OK to see it.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
I think we are watching a Jack style breakdown here. I’m a bit worried so I’m going to leave it there.

@Harrybosch can I just heartily recommend A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry - I once totally embarrassed myself by sobbing on a train whilst reading it. A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth is fabulous. Also Girls Of Riyadh is a fabulous book that really gives you an insight into a different culture.

Reactions: 11
This is such a great idea, I think I'll follow suit! I don't really read many white male authors anymore, not for any political reason, but because I find them generally boring at best and fury-inducing at worst. I can recommend My Sister, The Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite.

Also, I meant to ask, and I'm sorry I can't remember who mentioned it in the last thread - is PoC not a good terminology? I think I've used it and I just genuinely don't know - I think that some people think BAME is not great either (a term I've used too, for want of a better one).
Re terminology, it is tricky as can vary amongst individuals as to what they prefer. I've spoken before about myself being a Romany Gypsy. There are some gypsies that dislike being referred to as a 'traveller' as it tends to group Irish Travellers and Romany Gypsies together, whereas we are completely separate ethnic groups, albeit with the similarity of a nomadic lifestyle at the heart of our cultures. I prefer gypsy but don't take offence if someone uses the term traveller.

In all cases, the P word is extremely offensive and considered racist (shouldn't have to point that out, but you'd be surprised by the amount of people that think it's acceptable).

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.