Jack Monroe #198 Marcus! Marcus! Marcus!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She tries so hard to be edgy and cool but just ends up coming across as sanctimonious.
It’s a really weird and hugely uncomfortable read tbh. Wheels out a few antiquated tropes that (ime!) make it harder for young people to access recovery because there’s an idea it’s only for that stereotypical alcoholic who’s an old man drinking 15 pints a day rather than someone with a problematic relationship with alcohol, even if it’s only binge drinking with ur cool millennial gal pals every weekend. The latter is probably a lot of ppl IMO, it’s a drug it’s very hard to have a healthy relationship with it (🚨evangelical alert lol🚨). Respect and more power to those who do tho!

This era of Jackie is a toughie, but gotta claw back those corporate sponsorships somehow!

• Heart
Reactions: 43
She sounds like she was at really tame under-18s clubs, I mean most people grow out of WKD-fuelled weekends at around age 14.
I don’t even remember tame af SU bars serving WKD in the early 2010s? Once again she lives in Southend not the bleeping Westborough baptist church!

I’m still floored at recreational GHB use. #journorequest to interview any frau who’s done it. bleeping hell.

• Haha
Reactions: 41
I don’t even remember tame af SU bars serving WKD in the early 2010s? Once again she lives in Southend not the bleeping Westborough baptist church!

I’m still floored at recreational GHB use. #journorequest to interview any frau who’s done it. bleeping hell.
Her and her buddies probably took naughty stolen sips of the communion wine.

"Oh, er we are naughty girlies and boyos"

• Haha
Reactions: 30
I remember a swiftly-deleted tweet where she admitted to dysfunctional levels of drinking during her povo time. It explains the financial chaos.
She goes to great pains to explain that she immediately stopped drinking while pregnant and while poor, and even if she used alcohol in some old recipes, rest assured, she was not drinking it.

I didn't know you could turn alcoholism off and on like that. I forgot that only wealthy people are addicts.

Reactions: 52
I remember a swiftly-deleted tweet where she admitted to dysfunctional levels of drinking during her povo time. It explains the financial chaos.
I remember her saying she packed SB off to his dad's at Christmas one year during The Poverty™ and got wasted on Sainsbury's basics lager.

She's such a sanctimonious little tory cow in her writing too. The whole article was just awful.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 51

I used to mix in circles years ago (am similar age to Jack, touch older) where drug use of all kinds was commonplace. I've never known anyone to use GHB, or for it to even come up in conversation as something someone wanted to try or something they'd seen others do. It always had sinister connotations. Just sounds like Jack trying to be down with the kids there and failing, because she's a middle class pearl clutcher with Tory values at heart 🙃.

• Heart
Reactions: 46
Whaaat? You can write an article about an issue without a 5000 word essay on how you’ve had it worse than anyone?

I was looking for the awful skirt photos and came across some vintage Jack chaos. Sober one week and she’s preaching to everyone. The stand outs for me include the claim she worked in a bar, cafe and the fire service at the same time, the mystery illness that was being diagnosed in 2019, and blaming friends for being enablers.

TW addiction/substance abuse

Jack’s sobriety story and uneven timeline always makes me very uneasy. I have a huge amount of empathy for anyone in active addiction or recovery. I have a lot of close friends who have gone through quite extreme situations and an addictive personality and history with substance misuse myself. I hope Jack is happy and comfortable in her sobriety and has the support she needs.

However - she has made some claims which in my opinion could be very dangerous if you were looking to her as an aspirational figure and struggling with substance abuse, particularly alcoholism. She’s tricky with her words but more or less implied (as I read it anyway) that she went out with a bang, had one last bender and then immediately went cold turkey. I think in another article she claims she was drinking 200 units a week. To quit drinking that amount of alcohol without any kind of tapering plan or rehab facility is at best going to land you in hospital with some very severe withdrawal symptoms and at worst could actually be fatal. I find it quite difficult to believe that seven days after going cold turkey off 200 units/weekly she would be writing articles for the Guardian and posing, cup of tea in hand. Maybe she was drinking less heavily than she claimed or tapered and didn’t disclose that information, but in that case I feel like there ought to be some sort of disclaimer included about the dangers of going cold turkey and withdrawal symptoms. Sorry if this is a bit heavy for a Sunday, it just bugs me when I read her various sobriety timelines.

• Heart
Reactions: 75
It seems pretty bleeping obvious to me that the reason she didn't ask her family for help was because she was drinking. And it explains why her son went without because addiction overrides parental instincts.

• Wow
  • Heart
I used to mix in circles years ago (am similar age to Jack, touch older) where drug use of all kinds was commonplace. I've never known anyone to use GHB, or for it to even come up in conversation as something someone wanted to try or something they'd seen others do. It always had sinister connotations. Just sounds like Jack trying to be down with the kids there and failing, because she's a middle class pearl clutcher with Tory values at heart 🙃.
I have to admit that back in the early 90's on the gay scene GHB was used recreationally, usually at an after party as a bit of a chill out. It was also, oddly, used by gym bunnies, they thought it would assist with muscle recovery. It is for that reason that I thought GHB was short for Growth Hormone Booster, fool that I am. 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 54
TW addiction/substance abuse

Jack’s sobriety story and uneven timeline always makes me very uneasy. I have a huge amount of empathy for anyone in active addiction or recovery. I have a lot of close friends who have gone through quite extreme situations and an addictive personality and history with substance misuse myself. I hope Jack is happy and comfortable in her sobriety and has the support she needs.

However - she has made some claims which in my opinion could be very dangerous if you were looking to her as an aspirational figure and struggling with substance abuse, particularly alcoholism. She’s tricky with her words but more or less implied (as I read it anyway) that she went out with a bang, had one last bender and then immediately went cold turkey. I think in another article she claims she was drinking 200 units a week. To quit drinking that amount of alcohol without any kind of tapering plan or rehab facility is at best going to land you in hospital with some very severe withdrawal symptoms and at worst could actually be fatal. I find it quite difficult to believe that seven days after going cold turkey off 200 units/weekly she would be writing articles for the Guardian and posing, cup of tea in hand. Maybe she was drinking less heavily than she claimed or tapered and didn’t disclose that information, but in that case I feel like there ought to be some sort of disclaimer included about the dangers of going cold turkey and withdrawal symptoms. Sorry if this is a bit heavy for a Sunday, it just bugs me when I read her various sobriety timelines.
There's definitely a lot of things that are problematic about the article. For starters, she wrote it after a week of being sober, which as I've said on another thread s way too early and is often when people are in the 'pink cloud'. It's like a honeymoon phase when people are quite happy not to drink because you're feeling energetic and happy from not drinking 200 units a week, or you've got all the crap from drugs out of your system. Of course she was happy to sip on diet coke at parties and spout off recovery stories at that point, because she hadn't even began the process of tackling her demons or going back to boring day to day life without drinking at that point.

And yeah, so much dangerous advice on there re: last binges and going cold turkey.

On a lighter note, how in the hell do you get drunk on value lager? It's 2% proof. It's like that shandy you buy from corner shops.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 46
The article mentions her having a stammer, I’m surprised she doesn’t make more of this!

• Wow
Reactions: 20
Whaaat? You can write an article about an issue without a 5000 word essay on how you’ve had it worse than anyone?

I was looking for the awful skirt photos and came across some vintage Jack chaos. Sober one week and she’s preaching to everyone. The stand outs for me include the claim she worked in a bar, cafe and the fire service at the same time, the mystery illness that was being diagnosed in 2019, and blaming friends for being enablers.

I have finally succumbed and read that article for the first time. My eyes are now permanently stuck at the back of my head I have rolled them so much. Where, oh where, to begin?

She had to be waking up from an evening making cocktails and watching Richard Curtis films. What does it matter what drink you are drinking? (though of course it just had to be cocktails, not cheap cider) or what films she was watching (though of course it had to be Richard Curtis films)

She looked 14 until her first grey hairs came. Yea right, seen through a photo filter possibly, in real life, nah. We have all seen the pictures with Allegra, she looked like a naff middle aged mum with that awful "let me see the manager" haircut. Jack went straight from teenager to middle aged in her many, many incarnations. (though her problematic drinking had to be the fault of her parents for not drinking responsibly in front of her)

She had her first taste of alcohol at 14 (though of course it had to be her friends, fault), the second taste was drinking vodka neat from the bottle until she was sick. No, unbelievable, absolutely not.

The very next time it was a full litre bottle of Southern Comfort at a barbeque. How would anyone know they had drunk a whole bottle to themselves at an event where there were others? that is unless of course she sat clutching the bottle not letting it out of her sight. Not forgetting this was only her third taste of alcohol. (though of course it had to be the fault of her friends at the Karate club) Surely a litre of Southern Comfort drunk by a 16 year old having only had two previous sips of alcohol would result in alcohol poisoning and a probable hospital admission.

She had drunk a bottle of Southern Comfort, but was compos mentis enough to know the taxi driver was "male" "burley" and "furious" "saw me safely inside" knew it was "four o'clock in the afternoon", knew where her nan lived and took her there covered in vomit. Think about that, covered in vomit in his cab from someone's house. Why did she not stay there until she sobered up and could clean herself up a bit, after all it was at a friend's house She remembered all this in minute detail 16 years later.

She then moved to London where it was everybody else's fault she was drinking so much. She of course takes no responsibility for her actions. The inference is that it was Allegra's fault.

I am going to have to give this a rest now, before you all fall asleep reading it.

Anyway, where's Jack?

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 58
I have to admit that back in the early 90's on the gay scene GHB was used recreationally, usually at an after party as a bit of a chill out. It was also, oddly, used by gym bunnies, they thought it would assist with muscle recovery. It is for that reason that I thought GHB was short for Growth Hormone Booster, fool that I am. 😂
I saw it around a fair bit when I lived in Brighton a few years ago, like you said as a bit of an after party drug for chilling out like benzodiazepines. Don’t know if it’s still as popular now though. Growth hormone booster :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Sorry I forget this is a blind spot, didn’t mean to come across as small minded or blasé and feel like a major head now tbh! I know from friends (this isn’t a I have x friendsTM excuse) how much more difficult it is navigating life sober as a gay man so apologises if I offended anyone ❤👊🏻

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I have finally succumbed and read that article for the first time. My eyes are now permanently stuck at the back of my head I have rolled them so much. Where, oh where, to begin?

She had to be waking up from an evening making cocktails and watching Richard Curtis films. What does it matter what drink you are drinking? (though of course it just had to be cocktails, not cheap cider) or what films she was watching (though of course it had to be Richard Curtis films)

She looked 14 until her first grey hairs came. Yea right, seen through a photo filter possibly, in real life, nah. We have all seen the pictures with Allegra, she looked like a naff middle aged mum with that awful "let me see the manager" haircut. Jack went straight from teenager to middle aged in her many, many incarnations. (though her problematic drinking had to be the fault of her parents for not drinking responsibly in front of her)

She had her first taste of alcohol at 14 (though of course it had to be her friends, fault), the second taste was drinking vodka neat from the bottle until she was sick. No, unbelievable, absolutely not.

The very next time it was a full litre bottle of Southern Comfort at a barbeque. How would anyone know they had drunk a whole bottle to themselves at an event where there were others? that is unless of course she sat clutching the bottle not letting it out of her sight. Not forgetting this was only her third taste of alcohol. (though of course it had to be the fault of her friends at the Karate club) Surely a litre of Southern Comfort drunk by a 16 year old having only had two previous sips of alcohol would result in alcohol poisoning and a probable hospital admission.

She had drunk a bottle of Southern Comfort, but was compos mentis enough to know the taxi driver was "male" "burley" and "furious" "saw me safely inside" knew it was "four o'clock in the afternoon", knew where her nan lived and took her there covered in vomit. Think about that, covered in vomit in his cab from someone's house. Why did she not stay there until she sobered up and could clean herself up a bit, after all it was at a friend's house She remembered all this in minute detail 16 years later.

She then moved to London where it was everybody else's fault she was drinking so much. She of course takes no responsibility for her actions. The inference is that it was Allegra's fault.

I am going to have to give this a rest now, before you all fall asleep reading it.

Anyway, where's Jack?
Most teenagers have there first drink at 14, usually down the park but is also around the usual age your parents will let you have half a beer( watered down with lemonade or one wee glass of wine( half a measure or soemthing) i actually think it makes less taboo and stops kids from hiding it. My mum and dad used to let me have a wee something at family parties at that age and it was only the one.

Reactions: 26
Sorry I forget this is a blind spot, didn’t mean to come across as small minded or blasé and feel like a major head now tbh! I know from friends (this isn’t a I have x friendsTM excuse) how much more difficult it is navigating life sober as a gay man so apologises if I offended anyone ❤👊🏻
No offence taken. I have skin as thick as a rhino's. 😂

But you are right, the gay scene is, and always has been, centred around drink and drugs. So in that respect, Jack is right about peer pressure, coupled with the 'cleb scene, which I can imagine is similarly alcohol and drug focussed.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.