Jack Monroe #197 Site currently unavailable

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Wow I’ve heard of it? So hard to get a table though 😂
It must be full of clebs, 'cause it was so dark I couldn't see inside. I wonder how much membership is?

I must stop prevaricating, putting off the walk to the hospital. I don't know why but today I feel really nervous. I have spent so many hours in hospital in my life, but today feels different. This is the 4th different cancer I have faced, overcome the others, and will this one. Fear of the unknown I suppose. All my treatments have been in Manchester before.

Enough of off topic me. I wonder if kicky ball Jack will be back for the final. I would love to hear her informed opinion. After all, she once stood next to MR, she will no doubt know all about it. She gains knowledge by osmosis.

• Heart
Reactions: 103
Was Jack the (not a) chef responsible for the menu?

Un fortunately I found a lovely tapas bar for my evening meal, and I'm nil by mouth this morning. Ahh well, next time.
Tapas? So... fish and eggs? You can take the bee out the cabal! Thinking of you today. x

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
Of all the Jack vernacular (Jacknacular if you will) for some reason ‘kickyball’ turns my insides to slime the most.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Sharing a Friday funny with you lovely fraus and herrens...
I was on Wikipedia just now, and thought I'd look up our favourite smol pixie...
Well...
Just have a look at how many edits and re-writes have gone into that page since it was set up. Lol, looks like the Wiki editors almost have a full time job on their hands. No time for a piss and a sandwich here. Xxx
Screenshot_20210709-103557_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 50
Sharing a Friday funny with you lovely fraus and herrens...
I was on Wikipedia just now, and thought I'd look up our favourite smol pixie...
Well...
Just have a look at how many edits and re-writes have gone into that page since it was set up. Lol, looks like the Wiki editors almost have a full time job on their hands. No time for a piss and a sandwich here. Xxx
View attachment 654655
That must be more than celebrities forty years older than her 😮 (I'm lame, and have no idea how to actually check this) How the heck can someone require that many edits?!

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Sorry I think you may have misunderstood what I meant - I only meant that the book had a very big moment on Twitter and suddenly Jack co opted the identity of the women being spoken about.

You’re clearly nicer than I am cos I have no issue in calling bs on her at this point. There are certain claims I won’t touch with a barge pole but I can’t help but wonder how many things she is / have happened to her would have happened without them having a Twitter moment. Sorry x
I see how I did misunderstand your post, sorry for that.
I really hope I didn't come across as ranting at you individually, I really didn't mean to do that.

Jack's done nothing to contradict everything you've put in a nutshell here.

I am defensive of anything that's even tangentially mentioned by Jack being associated with them in any way whatsoever. Terribly that's an issue caused by a system bigger than Jack.

For the books, I'll just log my Jack origin story now.

Anyway I always assumed middle class fallen on harder times and precarity was Jack's story and angle, I didn't catch their claims about being anything otherwise, and didn't see how anything else could be picked up from what they wrote. And I assumed that having homeowning parents with professions was the extent of their middle class.

Personally I always did think that Jack verged on self pity, and winced often at how they put things, but I assumed their intentions were honest. I thought thats up to them if they want to themselves out there like that, it's petty and bitchy to dwell on that, and good they're not sugarcoating how much you can internalise being skint and they're resisting the bootstrap narrative (I thought the name was ironic and was not paying close attention to how much they did that bolstered it)

If hunger, inequality, corruption were in the news, I thought Jack was using their voice for good and spreading these stories/issues and working on them too (well they said they did). Never paying enough attention that they used their voice for duck all and only promoted themselves.

Another thing that Jack has done repeatedly, and of course it's now all been deleted, is wordily and insistently apologise when they've been picked up on something. I remember them doing this when they wrote an article about "poorface" (again how many people approved that).
This was before performative self soothing apologising went mainstream with inadequate responses to BLM last year, and it was rarer to hear an apology or wish to improve that wasn't in a "sorry if you were offended" vein.

The recent teacher apology was definitely a bit more focused than usual, but Jack's definitely used apologising to make themselves look like they care and they're aware before. We've so clearly seen what traits and attitudes of theirs endure though so obviously they've never meant anything.

It did not (Ive just realised I get so incensed by Jack, apostrophes start to seem too jovial!) occur to me that they could get to where they were without tried and tested nutritious recipes.
I'd never tried any but I generally do read 100 times more recipes than I ever actually cook. I really dreamt about the day I'd try the slow cooker bread. I thought it would be like a squishier focaccia.

When covid arrived, I had more time online, mutual aid was stepping up and I thought I should really make sure I pay attention to and contribute what I could to anyone addressing the unfolding crises. Including I thought, Jack.

Then I think, Mom actually retweeted some of the THAT MAN angst (if it wasn't the initial wailing it was the subsequent hashtag).
I think that the food world is limited and unrepresentative (what a joy Vittles has been. Also trifle defender posts reams of interest and delight, I never would have come across her without the cabal!), With the same names never making way. So I assumed that poor Jack had genuinely come to the end of their tether at this time after being so dedicated to developing their recipes and not getting more major recognition. And they'd said they'd lost 7 quarters of their income with the speaking cancellations and all that.

Tbh I wasn't too bothered about Jack going for JO myself. Of course he can cook 100 times better than me, he's demonstrates methods clearly and I could learn plenty off him.
But it's not like he's the only one who can do what he does, and it stifles talent and opportunity that he's the only one that gets to do it.
I'll prob never let go of being aggro about his "chips but flat screen TV" whines. The clip of JO being folorn at the kids saying yes to the chicken nugget gunge will always bring a smile to my face though. And jerk rice did piss me off. Again I had a hint of a prickle at Jack aligning her own slight with the disrespect shown to jollof rice (all over again).

So I thought, never mind his TV show I will give jack some clicks. And then, "bung it" "sling it" "gently fold" "ooh I'll get back with that" "curry". And I realised they couldn't cook and didn't care about food, only the gratification of attention, and that was the truth about everything else they got known for too. And that all the little negative thoughts that I'd had about them that I thought were petty bristles were the absolute foundation of their grift.

That realisation was then signed sealed delivered by another two word phrase, "crappy bungalow". On what bleeping planet.

I joined tattle to nose at the S Hughes receipts and the JM threads were mentioned there. People romanticising and capitalising on experiences and backgrounds they are far removed from, that they were maybe never part of, while people there now are being ignored riles me.

Thanks again for your time xx

• Heart
Reactions: 55
I see how I did misunderstand your post, sorry for that.
I really hope I didn't come across as ranting at you individually, I really didn't mean to do that.

Jack's done nothing to contradict everything you've put in a nutshell here.

I am defensive of anything that's even tangentially mentioned by Jack being associated with them in any way whatsoever. Terribly that's an issue caused by a system bigger than Jack.

For the books, I'll just log my Jack origin story now.

Anyway I always assumed middle class fallen on harder times and precarity was Jack's story and angle, I didn't catch their claims about being anything otherwise, and didn't see how anything else could be picked up from what they wrote. And I assumed that having homeowning parents with professions was the extent of their middle class.

Personally I always did think that Jack verged on self pity, and winced often at how they put things, but I assumed their intentions were honest. I thought thats up to them if they want to themselves out there like that, it's petty and bitchy to dwell on that, and good they're not sugarcoating how much you can internalise being skint and they're resisting the bootstrap narrative (I thought the name was ironic and was not paying close attention to how much they did that bolstered it)

If hunger, inequality, corruption were in the news, I thought Jack was using their voice for good and spreading these stories/issues and working on them too (well they said they did). Never paying enough attention that they used their voice for duck all and only promoted themselves.

Another thing that Jack has done repeatedly, and of course it's now all been deleted, is wordily and insistently apologise when they've been picked up on something. I remember them doing this when they wrote an article about "poorface" (again how many people approved that).
This was before performative self soothing apologising went mainstream with inadequate responses to BLM last year, and it was rarer to hear an apology or wish to improve that wasn't in a "sorry if you were offended" vein.

The recent teacher apology was definitely a bit more focused than usual, but Jack's definitely used apologising to make themselves look like they care and they're aware before. We've so clearly seen what traits and attitudes of theirs endure though so obviously they've never meant anything.

It did not (Ive just realised I get so incensed by Jack, apostrophes start to seem too jovial!) occur to me that they could get to where they were without tried and tested nutritious recipes.
I'd never tried any but I generally do read 100 times more recipes than I ever actually cook. I really dreamt about the day I'd try the slow cooker bread. I thought it would be like a squishier focaccia.

When covid arrived, I had more time online, mutual aid was stepping up and I thought I should really make sure I pay attention to and contribute what I could to anyone addressing the unfolding crises. Including I thought, Jack.

Then I think, Mom actually retweeted some of the THAT MAN angst (if it wasn't the initial wailing it was the subsequent hashtag).
I think that the food world is limited and unrepresentative (what a joy Vittles has been. Also trifle defender posts reams of interest and delight, I never would have come across her without the cabal!), With the same names never making way. So I assumed that poor Jack had genuinely come to the end of their tether at this time after being so dedicated to developing their recipes and not getting more major recognition. And they'd said they'd lost 7 quarters of their income with the speaking cancellations and all that.

Tbh I wasn't too bothered about Jack going for JO myself. Of course he can cook 100 times better than me, he's demonstrates methods clearly and I could learn plenty off him.
But it's not like he's the only one who can do what he does, and it stifles talent and opportunity that he's the only one that gets to do it.
I'll prob never let go of being aggro about his "chips but flat screen TV" whines. The clip of JO being folorn at the kids saying yes to the chicken nugget gunge will always bring a smile to my face though. And jerk rice did piss me off. Again I had a hint of a prickle at Jack aligning her own slight with the disrespect shown to jollof rice (all over again).

So I thought, never mind his TV show I will give jack some clicks. And then, "bung it" "sling it" "gently fold" "ooh I'll get back with that" "curry". And I realised they couldn't cook and didn't care about food, only the gratification of attention, and that was the truth about everything else they got known for too. And that all the little negative thoughts that I'd had about them that I thought were petty bristles were the absolute foundation of their grift.

That realisation was then signed sealed delivered by another two word phrase, "crappy bungalow". On what bleeping planet.

I joined tattle to nose at the S Hughes receipts and the JM threads were mentioned there. People romanticising and capitalising on experiences and backgrounds they are far removed from, that they were maybe never part of, while people there now are being ignored riles me.

Thanks again for your time xx
I know you've lurked but please will you stay @Atruck? I've really enjoyed what you've posted so far. Like the Guardian's long read (other outlets are available), but 100 times better! 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 43
Good luck @MancBee ❤ Ooh what tapas did you go to? There’s a pretty exclusive little Mexican in Hammersmith now, Taco Bell - small family run place, in restaurant parlance.
They have Taco Bell in the UK now? Yeah, I know it's terrible, but I want to stuff some tacos in my fat face.

I have found that those small indie restaurants that set up over here aren't as good as their USA counterparts. Like when I found a very exclusive restaurant called Chipotle in London. Just wasn't the same.

• Haha
Reactions: 27
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.