Jack Monroe #193 Mama, pass the UNICEF statistics and the Hansards!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Very articulately put @colouredlines

I will admit at 36 (after staring at my face day in day out) I've thought about Botox and even lip fillers.

But I hate needles at the best of times and have seen some absolute bleeping horror stories.

I get the feeling it's a slippery slope. If it was a one and done thing I might consider it but filler migrates right? Plus the state of Jackie after hers. Eh.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
I read that as mole model 🤦🏻‍♀️

"Wow, I can't believe it. Me, a role model? I never thought I'd be here, really I didn't. Back when I was a single mum foraging in the bins outside the food bank, because I'd sold all my clothes so they wouldn't let me inside, I never dreamed that one day people would think of me as a role model. I'm just a poor second generation immigrant tattooed lesbian! In fact, I think I may be the first working class person to win. I would never have imagined this back when my son looked up at me from the breakfast table to ask, Where's Mummy's weetabix?"

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
I wonder what Jack was at school?
She’s shared a picture of her and she looked normal - bleach blonde long hair & a strappy dress (think she said it was silk?). Considering she coveted her peers’ lilac Mercedes and still goes on about being the poorest girl in school decades on we can assume she aspired to be like the cool rich girls™️.

She’d probably be a lot happier if she was just authentically a comfortable Home Counties hun (not digging them out god bless them x) rather than wailing and gnashing to the sky every 10 minutes.

• Haha
Reactions: 40
Considering Our Jackie of the Slop's Face Tune antics. She's no different to the shill described by @colouredlines. This whole Botox/filler/ looking like a pneumatic sex doll makes me sad and furious simultaneously. So refreshing to be among Frauen & Herren who can see through the bullshit...

Considering Our Jackie of the Slop's Face Tune antics. She's no different to the shill described by @colouredlines. This whole Botox/filler/ looking like a pneumatic sex doll makes me sad and furious simultaneously. So refreshing to be among Frauen & Herren who can see through the bullshit...

Not sure what happened there!

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Emilie Lavinia should count herself lucky that she does not have a Tattle thread, considering that her reaction to a woman's murder was to post thot shots and #sponcon with a flippant "What a week to be a woman, ey?" (This post dated 11/3/21)

View attachment 605072
I love how she starts with women's issues and then does an abrupt 90 degree turn into 'lol periods girls amirite?' and then tries to flog stuff off the back of it.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 46
I find it really sad, because it seems that even in the age of the internet - when we have access to so much information, and the power to instantly connect with different cultures - beauty standards are narrower than ever.

A couple of years ago I read a comment about how rare it is nowadays for teenage girls to have short hair. I was working with teens at the time, and suddenly I couldn't unsee it. Hair must be long, just like butts must be big, and lips must look like a pair of raw sausages having sex.

Instagram is also a world where people take themselves so very seriously. I like to put up funny posts on my account, and I have friends that do too, but so many accounts are laugh-free zones. Everything has to be perfectly posed and usually free from any kind of individual personality.

(There's a Spanish word, postureo, which encompasses this culture. It's like posing, but it has a stronger meaning, and tends to be used specifically for showing off online. I can't think of a perfect English equivalent, which is a shame!)

It's also worth noting the problems that come from influencers lying about the aesthetic work they've had done, which can make impressionable followers feel so much worse. And leads us neatly back to Jack "not facetune, just sitting in a sunbeam with my soft pink curtains" Monroe...
I was the long haired teen in amongst a sea of short hair in school. My mum was strict about me cutting my hair as she liked it long. The thing is I don't find fake beautiful at all. What I mean is ok if you get your boobs alittle bit bigger or you work on your ass to make it more defined but the ridiculous big boobs and arse with match lips just really makes me think they have spoiled themselves.

Women bang on about how men should not judge them, yet on the other hand they are ruining themselves to make themselves attractive ( perhaps not just to the opposite sex/ same sex) but to society which I think is just as bad.

Reactions: 30
Just read the Grazia piece. Influencers don’t owe anyone anything. What about the folk they receive money from who in return get duck all?
Admin - not sure if I am allowed to screenshot. Let me know and I will delete.
Wow. Angry grunk today. The clue is in the name dingbats! So they get all the free stuff and priveleges for what exactly???
I have some friends who have become 'influencers' through their blogs or whatever, they definitely become more arrogant and less self aware as time goes on.
We should start an #unfluencer movement

I was the long haired teen in amongst a sea of short hair in school. My mum was strict about me cutting my hair as she liked it long. The thing is I don't find fake beautiful at all. What I mean is ok if you get your boobs alittle bit bigger or you work on your ass to make it more defined but the ridiculous big boobs and arse with match lips just really makes me think they have spoiled themselves.

Women bang on about how men should not judge them, yet on the other hand they are ruining themselves to make themselves attractive ( perhaps not just to the opposite sex/ same sex) but to society which I think is just as bad.
My daughter has happily chosen short hair for years then a year or so prior to starting high school she suddenly became desperate to grow it and said 'no girls in high school have short hair'. Her hair is beautiful but very hard to manage long as is so thick and she hates having it brushed so it's a real bone of contention now. Every now and then she berates me for ever letting her have her hair that short 😭

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 30
I had a bowl cut in secondary school circa 1999. I feel I've grown into a more resilient woman as a result.

eta: i wanted it to look like david beckham's. didn't figure the lesbian thing out for another year or two tho despite that

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 62
Wow. Angry grunk today. The clue is in the name dingbats! So they get all the free stuff and priveleges for what exactly???
I have some friends who have become 'influencers' through their blogs or whatever, they definitely become more arrogant and less self aware as time goes on.
We should start an #unfluencer movement

My daughter has happily chosen short hair for years then a year or so prior to starting high school she suddenly became desperate to grow it and said 'no girls in high school have short hair'. Her hair is beautiful but very hard to manage long as is so thick and she hates having it brushed so it's a real bone of contention now. Every now and then she berates me for ever letting her have her hair that short 😭
Honestly peer group pressure was intense in the 70s. I cannot begin to imagine how much worse it is now.😢

• Sad
Reactions: 28
Where are the other teenage ‘tribes’, the goths, the grungy ones, the sporty ones, the nerds, the drama students, the skateboarders, the dancers, the metalheads, the LARPers, the gamers…. I really hope they still exist and have fun in their own little bubbles and we just don’t see them because of the influencer culture that is dominating bits of social media.

I wonder what Jack was at school?
Same as now, lazy and entitled

• Haha
Reactions: 29
Sorry Poca will stop straying off topic..x

Has to be said though. The documentary about the Fyre festival is a very entertaining watch..

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
Sorry Poca will stop straying off topic..x
We're still not as bad as Jack for getting distracted and going off on a tangent (she says topically...😁)

Might watch these awards if they are televised on the slim hope she'll be there. I have nothing else going on today.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
I was always the long haired boy at school. I would still have shoulder length hair now, if my hairline hadn't receded to the point that it would look silly.

And I definitely think all of the old school cliques still exist, its just the insta thots have their own as well, and they're more visible. Actually though, that clique always existed, but now they have Instagram to show off on.

Reactions: 39
Very articulately put @colouredlines

I will admit at 36 (after staring at my face day in day out) I've thought about Botox and even lip fillers.

But I hate needles at the best of times and have seen some absolute bleeping horror stories.

I get the feeling it's a slippery slope. If it was a one and done thing I might consider it but filler migrates right? Plus the state of Jackie after hers. Eh.
40 now, face is settling in different ways and different lines I don’t like sometimes and I look at pictures of 20s me with despair ‘why did you have no confidence look at you!’ But I still look like me and if I put some slap on and have some sleep I even look half decent so while I am tempted to try and fix things i think I will try and accept the face I have.
I completely understand those in the entertainment industry have always had different pressures, but now because of SM is everyone in the entertainment industry?

Back to Jack, no one used to care what cooks and chefs looked like. Delia? Fanny Craddock? 2 fat ladies? None of them. Now we get deliciously Ella and models like the Hemsleys so maybe that is who Jack wants to be.

• Heart
Reactions: 40
I was always the long haired boy at school. I would still have shoulder length hair now, if my hairline hadn't receded to the point that it would look silly.

And I definitely think all of the old school cliques still exist, its just the insta thots have their own as well, and they're more visible. Actually though, that clique always existed, but now they have Instagram to show off on.
I was completely gender non conforming as a teenager in the 60's. I tried to do my own highlights, but they came out like zebra stripes. Undaunted I used food dye to change colour daily. My form teacher wanted me excluded until it grew out, but the headmaster was the father of my best friend, so supported me, not the teacher!

Another hair don't...I wanted curls like Peter Sarstedt so asked mum to do a home perm (she did all her mates). I ended up looking like Mrs Slocombe,.
I realised she only knew the one style and all her friends looked alike.😂 To make matters worse, I was best man at my mates wedding the next day.

There's loads more. Corkscrew shoulder length perm done on chopsticks anyone? Grace Jones style flat top? Permed top with shaved sides? Black dye, red dye, platinum blonde. Yes all me!

I loved the reaction from people, especially as I worked on building sites for many years in the 70's and 80's and lived on what was (and still is) a really rough inner city council estate. But like many gay men that were a bit daring in their youth, I have become less adventurous as I got older, though I still have my moments. 😂

Sorry for off topic, but it has made me realise that Jack's constant hairstyle changes, especially the wacky ones, are not to dissimilar to my own experiences. Perhaps I should cut her some slack. However I was not trying to promote myself as a brand with an ever changing persona.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 65
We're still not as bad as Jack for getting distracted and going off on a tangent (she says topically...😁)

Might watch these awards if they are televised on the slim hope she'll be there. I have nothing else going on today.
We'll be looking for Jack in the crowd and spot a pleather lapel like
rick.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 34
A pain in the arse is my guess.
I imagine she wanted to be preppy but couldn't pull it off so just came off awkward. I imagine she was a bit of a know it all and got on people's tits alot. All conjectures.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
"I wonder what Jack was at school?"

I can guess WHERE she was.
Crying in the English department office.
It's where they all go to cry.

• Haha
Reactions: 42
Ooh Tom Kerridge is on The Food Programme now on Radio 4. I shall listen keenly and see if a certain smol pixie is mentioned.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.