Jack Monroe #189 Food Crime Pie

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
To be honest I do think campaigns like this have value when done right.

It's quite easy to say oh well this kind of stuff is studied at Physics GCSE but what about those who weren't academic? And also tbh I can barely remmeber what university modules I did, let alone GCSE exam content.

Having things laid out in easy to access resources is important. Not everyone will have been taught this stuff by parents or take the initiative to research if it seems complicated.
It's the fault of the utilities companies, if they don't make their bills etc accessible. I'm useless with all the info people like British Gas or whatever give you. I'm with Bulb, who do nice little graphs and bar charts and it's much easier to understand. If Octopus lay things out in a similar way to Bulb, that's what they should be publicising, rather than saying 'Oh, here's a handy guide to this overcomplicated mess you get in the post every month'.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
Not understanding the bills is just one group of struggling paying their energy.

Many people struggling to pay for basic things like food, housing and utilities are actually really good with the numbers. They know which bills that can afford to ignore got a bit, which ones are really due and move around their debt. That's not ideal, but their reality and they will be on the best tariffs already (unless they live in rural Scotland where some are locked into bullshit 'totalheattotalcontrol-THTC tariffs, and don't have the cheaper suppliers available)

Unplugging things that are on standby are not going to help that group An increase in income will, or more affordable housing/energy will. It's the same category as the '20 pound shop- yellow sticker' advice.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
To be honest I do think campaigns like this have value when done right.
I agree.

However, there are some young people out there who think that electricity, gas, tv subscriptions, internet etc etc all magically appear out of thin air because someone else has been paying them for the first 18 years of their lives. I know when I first went off to uni donkeys years ago that I was completely ignorant to the concept of having to pay for stuff that I couldn't drink/eat/wear/listen to. I was never exposed to any responsibilities of budgeting, and to this day I swear it's why I am so crap at saving and have no self control over random spontaneous purchases.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 31
Octopus energy have a referral scheme. Anyone who joins gets £50 towards their bills. Squillions joined because it looked cheap and all the referral bribes add up. Then people complained about bills hiking up and poor customer service. A lot of budgeting groups banned people from posting referral links because of this.
I don’t use Octopus myself, I use so little the savings are negligible for me. But I got the impression that people signed up in order to get lots of referral money.
If it sounds too good to be true and all that.
If it works out better, then great. But caveat emptor.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 43
Octopus energy have a referral scheme. Anyone who joins gets £50 towards their bills. Squillions joined because it looked cheap and all the referral bribes add up. Then people complained about bills hiking up and poor customer service. A lot of budgeting groups banned people from posting referral links because of this.
I don’t use Octopus myself, I use so little the savings are negligible for me. But I got the impression that people signed up in order to get lots of referral money.
If it sounds too good to be true and all that.
If it works out better, then great. But caveat emptor.
Bulb do that £50 referral thing to, or at least they used to. £50 for getting someone to join, and £50 off the new client's first bill. It *has* gone up but I think it's still cheaper per unit than whatever I used before (Scottish Power IIRC). Plus, you get those cute little bar charts 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
Babes, same. (Claws at the floor, then softly, gently replaces denim shirt from Selfridges at the back of the wardrobe and shuts the door).
Do not let her take that from you! Outside of the cabal and Twitter no one knows who the duck she is! Wear your double denim knowing that only other fraus will ever connect it to Jack.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 36
When I had my first rented flat I was shocked to discover I had to pay rent when I was on holiday!
I thought that because I wasn’t there I didn’t have to pay anything.
Landlord soon put me right 😳.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 69
I agree.

However, there are some young people out there who think that electricity, gas, tv subscriptions, internet etc etc all magically appear out of thin air because someone else has been paying them for the first 18 years of their lives. I know when I first went off to uni donkeys years ago that I was completely ignorant to the concept of having to pay for stuff that I couldn't drink/eat/wear/listen to. I was never exposed to any responsibilities of budgeting, and to this day I swear it's why I am so crap at saving and have no self control over random spontaneous purchases.
This is true and it's more apparent in today's society because more and more things are becoming "invisible" what I mean is things like Netflix subs feel to me like credit cards. There soemthing that's there and you're not really paying attention too until you realise you have gotten carried away and are in serious trouble.

Also what about people who struggle to pay bills but as so many people found out during the homeschooling debacle that not every family had access to internet to access these wonderful apps etc.

Reactions: 26
I think I was wrong. It was Bulb who did the referral thing.
Sincere apologies, frauen und herren x

• Heart
Reactions: 27
If partnering with an energy company - do something for the poor Jack - try and get them to stop making key and card metered electric and gas far more expensive than other tariffs.

• Heart
Reactions: 43
The students on my street don’t even seem to realise they have to pay car tax, let alone bills.

There are two clamped by the DVLA at the moment and no one seems to care.

Needless to say one is a Mini and the other is a Golf 🤣.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 34
The students on my street don’t even seem to realise they have to pay car tax let alone bills.

There are two clamped by the DVLA at the moment and no one seems to care.

Needless to say one is a Mini and the other is a Golf 🤣.
lol do you live in Clifton 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 20
tit, I'm with Octopus. Do you think I have grounds for a complaint? I want my money back now they have a fraud fronting their campaign.
Tbf Octopus have been good so far and much cheaper than SSE Hydro.
Trust Jack to try and outdo her child too. She can't help herself can she? Me me me me etc.

• Haha
Reactions: 36
So, been away.
Missed anything important?
Has the top tip book appeared?
Has the Marcus/Tom project been shared?
Has the granola recipe materialised?
Where has JM been & any idea how ‘serious’ it is?
Has the crappy bungalow been vacated?
Is Mrs Jack still about?
Who’s looking after SB, Cooper and dash?
I thank you in advance...

• Haha
Reactions: 39
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.