Jack Monroe #189 Food Crime Pie

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't get it. What's so hard about understanding bills?

If you are worried you are using too much turn off, turn down and only use it when you need to otherwise switch it off. You don't need to remove them from the electrical source just switch the current off going to them with the switch . Honestly I am worried for the world with people in it today.
It was a bit tricky to understand the actual fuel charges when my friends and I first got our student place, but all it took was a cursory 10min google to choose the cheapest energy supplier and a read on a site specifically meant for young people in our position. As for saving money on it, that was also pretty self-explanatory, even without parents & award-winning food expert (/s) Jack Monroe to guide us through it. It's as simple as turning stuff off when you're not using it, unplugging appliances, and making sure the heating schedule is timed for when you're in the house only. (Or you can just do what we did and utilize every blanket in the house instead of heating for more than 1hr/day but, well, I wouldn't recommend it... 😂 )

• Heart
Reactions: 37
'sloppy' and 'sodden' are not words I wish to see associated with breakfast 🥴
S L O P !

@PoorPatrol, I am late to the slop party but I hooted so much last night on my grunk...the blender found in a puddle...if you need a second career, you could be JMs ghost writer, it had all the lingo you need.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
GCSE physics used to include stuff on power so on theory you know about watts and kilowatt hours.
The rest of it? Well the higher the tariff, the more you pay. Why does this need a video?!
I did just ask Kebab Cat if she understood energy bills. However she's pretty dumb so perhaps Cooper can do a cat version for all the other moggies?

My kettle has a slider & gauge to get the temp you want. Plus a soothing "ding" when switches off. FANCY

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 35
You know at first glance I assumed that was a charitable thing. But basically she is being paid by an energy company? Very sneaky to ‘forget’ to post the energy company in the first tweet!

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 54
I do question if she still has custody of her son. It is very strange to spend so long away from the family home. I hope he has some stability and lots of other family around him if he isn't with her at the moment.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 41
Also I think all most most people need to know about electricity bills is that you use less, you pay less and that things that generate heat, like a boiler, iron or electric heating are the things that really increase the bill. They are just using her large platform to market their grubby electricity and she being paid to pretend to give a duck.
It’s not exactly rocket science either is it.... literally the idea of a per unit cost * units consumed/acquired = money owed applies to every single element of life? From your weekly food shop to fuel to ur dad’s property empire??

Reactions: 37
Still no endorsing of Marcus and Tom. I know she said there was no time limit by when she should tweet about Full time meals, but this is ridiculous.
I presume she's one of the guest cooks, so that's the one she will retweet.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 36
The multi temp kettle is just the thing for a #nospendyear
I needed a new kettle earlier this year and looked at one of those multi-temp things with the excuse of I drink both oolong tea and coffee.

I decided I was being ridiculous and got a normal kettle, cos (supposedly) like Jack, I'm trying to spend less.

On topic, I'm not sure how this energy bill explainer is a tool. As far as I can see it's just a website written in a silly font. Agreed with the general opinion here - you pay your bills when they come in, give them a ring if you're struggling and google the words you don't understand. Rocket science, I know.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
It’s not exactly rocket science either is it.... literally the idea of a per unit cost * units consumed/acquired = money owed applies to every single element of life? From your weekly food shop to fuel to ur dad’s property empire??
Charging multiple phones cosumes high amounts of energy just sayin.

• Haha
Reactions: 41
62007973-F921-4F65-ACEC-F9B801793929.jpeg

D4FD0DA0-94D4-4194-97DC-5C36E41C557B.jpeg

Find the squiggles really hard to understand. They really believe everything is a conspiracy against the little man? Don’t get me wrong the UK is broadly trash but we actually have really solid consumer rights laws & especially re: utilities there’s a lot of help for ppl struggling. It’s not perfect obviously but nothing under capitalism can ever be fair.

It’s just bizarre there are people out there who truly believe we live in this cloaks and daggers alternate world?

• Heart
Reactions: 47
I was going to suggest it can’t possibly be a #paidpartnership because of how sloppy she was with her tweet about it. Then I had a word with myself.

Shoddy work from the Octopus Energy team though, make sure your influencer includes your brand handle in their posts, jeez. Social media marketing 101.

There you go The people who hired Jack Monroe to work with Octopus you can have this free feedback in your social media monitoring report (assuming it’s set up).

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
View attachment 572313
View attachment 572314

Find the squiggles really hard to understand. They really believe everything is a conspiracy against the little man? Don’t get me wrong the UK is broadly trash but we actually have really solid consumer rights laws & especially re: utilities there’s a lot of help for ppl struggling. It’s not perfect obviously but nothing under capitalism can ever be fair.

It’s just bizarre there are people out there who truly believe we live in this cloaks and daggers alternate world?
Oh absolutely. Many people in this country have zero self awareness of how well we actually have it for the most part.

I've been reading alot about columbia this week. Now they do have problems that are only seen in our nightmares.

• Sad
Reactions: 34
To be honest I do think campaigns like this have value when done right.

It's quite easy to say oh well this kind of stuff is studied at Physics GCSE but what about those who weren't academic? And also tbh I can barely remmeber what university modules I did, let alone GCSE exam content.

Having things laid out in easy to access resources is important. Not everyone will have been taught this stuff by parents or take the initiative to research if it seems complicated.

However, why they haven't chosen younger influencers I don't know... Someone canny with their money like Mollie Mae that a lot of young people look up to (I don't like her but that's by the by lol) would certainty have been more relevant. And if they couldn't afford Mollie Mae then just getting some actual teenagers and students to do it?

Jack is visibly not an ickle smol young adult any more. And that's fine! I can no longer get away with wearing denim short shorts because I'm not 14 anymore. Passage of time innit. But young people won't care and will just disengage. When you're 18, 34 seems ancient 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 65
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.