Jack Monroe #189 Food Crime Pie

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
For once in her life she’s hit the nail in the head with her food description here.
An hour later and it's already become problematic AF. I'm taking a short social media break for a work meeting INTENSELY PRIVATE REASONS and I'll be back before lunch is served.

• Haha
Reactions: 46
The masochist in me kind of wants to make a Jack recipe too. I do have a lot of weird tins in my cupboard.

I went to look at her recipe page and she actually did the vegan chicken thing! I must have missed it when I was grunkaing. It’s the wordiest recipe I’ve ever seen in my life.

"Luxuriate in their flavour bath" 🤢🤢🤮

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 45
There is nothing wrong with throwing some of your food away. It's important to not needlessly waste it but sometimes it is necessary. I would count revolting bin juice smoothies in the latter category.
I agree, I don't see the point in using something just because you feel you should.

I also try not to buy stuff that I will waste. IE just enough of what I need and if I buy more I. Use it up in various ways or freeze it.

Reactions: 27
Jack's attitude to waste is nonsensical. She's always cooking with banana skin and veg peelings, she drinks fat(?!), and yet her house is absolutely stuffed full of useless tit, and she's constantly buying more.

I remember when she was doing her alleged 20£ shop. The receipts made it clear she was buying bagged fruit & veg, rather than loose (although she took it out of the packaging for her photos). Far better waste-wise to buy loose, rather than eating apple cores or whatever.

• Heart
Reactions: 52
The masochist in me kind of wants to make a Jack recipe too. I do have a lot of weird tins in my cupboard.

I went to look at her recipe page and she actually did the vegan chicken thing! I must have missed it when I was grunkaing. It’s the wordiest recipe I’ve ever seen in my life.

Is that the correct use of the word "extraneous"?

Thought not.

And why can we not see the Jackfruit patty in the picture, just a load or rice (not mentioned in the recipe) and some green leafy stuff (also not mentioned in the recipe) and a burnt pineapple slice with brown "sauce" on it?

• Haha
Reactions: 35
Quite apart from the typically inappropriate description from Jack, bread dough should be treated lovingly. You need a firm hand and some strength to knead but it definitely does not need to be smacked with force.
Exactly - more like a massage 😏 (don't wanna give Jack any ideas though, nobody wants her to make duck Me Focaccia).

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 63
Jack's attitude to waste is nonsensical. She's always cooking with banana skin and veg peelings, she drinks fat(?!), and yet her house is absolutely stuffed full of useless tit, and she's constantly buying more.

I remember when she was doing her alleged 20£ shop. The receipts made it clear she was buying bagged fruit & veg, rather than loose (although she took it out of the packaging for her photos). Far better waste-wise to buy loose, rather than eating apple cores or whatever.
She's also written that buying pre-packaged is cheaper than buying loose when that's literally the opposite of the truth. Almost as though she knows nothing about anything.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
Exactly - more like a massage 😏 (don't wanna give Jack any ideas though, nobody wants her to make duck Me Focaccia).
I did feel like a bastard last night duffing up the dough. Was following the recipe to the letter though!

In hindsight, the dough ended up being the true slimy bastard and deserved the beating.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 43
nobody wants her to make duck Me Focaccia).
Ohhh this could be fun. Names for Jack's bread.

Turn me on tortilla
Been near me chuff ciabatta.
Nip up to bed Naan
"Fancy a" roll
Bonk me baguette
Pity me pita

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 73
What is the origin of that video? Why would you not only film that but upload it for all to see? The end reminds me of that cat smelling broccoli video on YouTube.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
Quite apart from the typically inappropriate description from Jack, bread dough should be treated lovingly. You need a firm hand and some strength to knead but it definitely does not need to be smacked with force.
Why put love in your for when you can put in hate or aggression? POW! BAM!

• Haha
Reactions: 26
(Filthy) fingers flatbread

Cypriot arse pitta
Top o’ the mornin’ to you soda bread

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Hoping the pixie is well rested and getting better.

Also I am so glad she has hopefully realised that she doesn't need to be on sm 24/7. The world keeps spinning anyway.

Reactions: 27
So, it soon turned out this morning that although there are only seven ingredients in this recipe, it's not possible to get all of them in one single supermarket. It took me 45 minutes, with the benefit of a car, to make it around THREE (of course!) supermarkets in my local vicinity. On foot, in the pissing rain, this would have taken me 2.5 hours, a good coat and shoes, and a great deal of mental strength not to just buy a tin of soup and duck off home. Our Tesco is also at the top of a hill. All in all, I went to Lidl, then Tesco, then finally Asda, to source cannellini beans. Luckily I found butter beans in Lidl first off as Asda had run out.

When I read the recipe and realised it involved boiling onions and garlic, I also decided to make two versions, one with slightly elevated ingredients and methods. Anything not labelled in the photo is a thing I already had. Including the book, to my great shame.
Screenshot_20210512-121503.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 77
So, it soon turned out this morning that although there are only seven ingredients in this recipe, it's not possible to get all of them in one single supermarket. It took me 45 minutes, with the benefit of a car, to make it around THREE (of course!) supermarkets in my local vicinity. On foot, in the pissing rain, this would have taken me 2.5 hours, a good coat and shoes, and a great deal of mental strength not to just buy a tin of soup and duck off home. Our Tesco is also at the top of a hill. All in all, I went to Lidl, then Tesco, then finally Asda, to source cannellini beans. Luckily I found butter beans in Lidl first off as Asda had run out.

When I read the recipe and realised it involved boiling onions and garlic, I also decided to make two versions, one with slightly elevated ingredients and methods. Anything not labelled in the photo is a thing I already had. Including the book, to my great shame. View attachment 570805
I’ve just been vaccinated & we’ve got fresh slop on the boil/ferment/fester, what a wonderful world ❤ x

• Heart
Reactions: 54
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.