Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

colouredlines

VIP Member
Right lads, I'm going to take one for the team with a go at white bean, spinach and garlic soup from Tin Can Cook. Jack describes it as 'marshy green slop' but, as ever, we'll be the judge of that.
I had a look to see if this recipe is online, and I stumbled upon another of Jack's soups. The intro is standard self-pitying nonsense:

Screenshot_20210512-111031_Chrome.jpg

So far, so Jack, right? BUT WAIT. This recipe, posted in 2018, is tagged Cook For Syria. She has managed to turn a campaign about refugees fleeing a devastating war into "when I was a single mum on benefits".

Fuck off, Jack. Just fuck off.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 85
Poca, think about how many peach and chickpea curries you could make, with peach and white chocolate tray bakes for dessert! You'll be able to recline on a sofa like the 15th century painting/grapes of luxury trope but instead of grapes, you can have someone feed you tinned peach slices.

reclining woman 2.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 85

colouredlines

VIP Member
Screenshot_20210511-212716_Chrome.jpg

Given that Jack claims to be the victim of violence many times over, this jokey part of the recipe seems very odd indeed.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 83

maytoseptember

VIP Member
Jesus fuck. “Swollen oats”, “sodden oats”, half dead bananas, prunes... 🤢

But hunched over the stove eating them. Sure.

A breakfast to set you up for the day... on the toilet.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 80

Orphan_Black

VIP Member
I ATE (SOME) OF THE BREAD

Like @PoorPatrol experienced with the Scuffins, it was both burnt and strangely undercooked all in one bite. No flavour at all. The texture of a wet sponge, and even with that sliminess it was a bastard to swallow.

Do not recommend.

IMG_3684.jpg

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 79

colouredlines

VIP Member
Well, she did once threaten to educate her "stupidly large platform" on Myanmar. Then she must've got distracted by some dibdabs or something, because she never spoke of it again.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 79

Flash123

VIP Member
Not around here much, but I would like some attention and validation of my conventional good looks.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 78

Hollaaa

VIP Member
Right lads, I'm going to take one for the team with a go at white bean, spinach and garlic soup from Tin Can Cook. Jack describes it as 'marshy green slop' but, as ever, we'll be the judge of that.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 78

Hollaaa

VIP Member
So, it soon turned out this morning that although there are only seven ingredients in this recipe, it's not possible to get all of them in one single supermarket. It took me 45 minutes, with the benefit of a car, to make it around THREE (of course!) supermarkets in my local vicinity. On foot, in the pissing rain, this would have taken me 2.5 hours, a good coat and shoes, and a great deal of mental strength not to just buy a tin of soup and fuck off home. Our Tesco is also at the top of a hill. All in all, I went to Lidl, then Tesco, then finally Asda, to source cannellini beans. Luckily I found butter beans in Lidl first off as Asda had run out.

When I read the recipe and realised it involved boiling onions and garlic, I also decided to make two versions, one with slightly elevated ingredients and methods. Anything not labelled in the photo is a thing I already had. Including the book, to my great shame.
Screenshot_20210512-121503.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 77

Hollaaa

VIP Member
I need to bring the one on the left to a rolling boil. Cold water + stock cube = good idea? Jack suggests using frozen spinach because tinned tastes 'grassy'. I couldn't find any tinned spinach to test that theory out.

On the right I'm cooking off onions and 4 cloves of garlic in profligate and fancy French butter, like some kind of bad poor. Excuse the state of the Le Creuset, darlings.
Screenshot_20210512-124008.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 76

ChickenPorridge

VIP Member
Was a bit miffed that Dua Lipa forgot to thank Jack last night in her acceptance speech at the Brits as she called for a pay rise for healthcare workers. Don't worry Dua, it's only the bloody founder of the hashtag.

• Haha
Reactions: 75

MaineCoonMama

VIP Member
79D26F22-6FFD-40B6-A866-B5D34AA69FAE.jpeg

On This Day

Last year on May 15th we were treated to the origin tale of the Emin in the loo.

PS I'm rather enjoying these forays into the past. I'll do them when I can if you chaps like them, depending on how good/bad I feel that day.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 75