Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Cookiecookie

VIP Member
when I was about 12 I read a book called Christiana F and it was a true story about a girl living in Germany, she got on to heroin along with her boyfriend as a young teen and one day she came home got caught him selling himself to an old man to fund his habit when this spured her on to becoming clean. The harrowing life they had on drugs and the in depth experience she wrote about going cold turkey really made an impression in me as a young teen.
It's a really interesting book. The film is fantastic too.

• Wow
Reactions: 14

Fruitjack

VIP Member
Oh bless thank you, I’ll give it a listen love the repeating behaviours thing! It’s so true, if old behaviours no longer serve you why keep them?
It’s funny cos if someone gives up dairy it’s a non issue, accepted at face value and no one checks if they’re really sure they’ve got a problem with dairy and it’s not just that milk, the supermarket, or that day, or a bad patch in their life. But if you give up alcohol you may as well host an Insta live to answer all the questions it brings up, how much doubt or outright refusal to believe you’ll be met with, I think that’s a huge part of why anonymity works so well cos you don’t need to invite those opinions into your decision making process.

Everyone’s rock bottom will be different, because everyone is different. There’s nothing wrong with not having a glamorous or exciting or tragic origins story, most chairs you hear are from normal people who went through some shit and are now trying their best to work through it all. It’s mental health at the end of the day, working on that is a very normal thing to do. This doesn’t align with Jack’s desires for yet another “against all odds” branding opportunity so naturally she had the worst alcoholism, claiming long tenure recovery she hasn’t got, the most evil celeb sponsor, it’s just tiresome.

Jack sees this as another gem in her crown of celebrity, like the tragic downfall of the maverick outsider turned tabloid fodder superstar, especially with the stories she wheels out all orientating around staff / success / locations / work. Sometimes I think the anonymity does us a disservice as it’ll always be a case of the emptiest vessels make the loudest noise, the only people that’ll do these sorts of press pieces will be sick because they’ve not understood you just do not do this. Awfully guache, darling! x
When you've listened to the podcast you will understand what is now my favourite quote 'it's never about the butty'. It makes so much sense for almost every difficult situation.

• Heart

Blurp

VIP Member
[QUOTE]Vroo

Today at 8:53 PM
Blurp said:
Scottish Baking 😁. Note that the front cover quote is from Mom. Sue Lawrence is from Dundee so talks about butteries but has had some tuition in the art of rowies.
Her tablet recipe is the best 🥰 pre phone/internet I copied this down without buying buying the book in Waterstones because I was a poor school pupil!!!
my new jack book is an education - so many random ingredients, no pictures, too much text etc etc[/QUOTE]

I was really disappointed that tablet wasn't in this one! Can you remember which book it was in (or maybe still have the recipe? 😘)? I may have Scottish Kitchen lurking somewhere but I've a feeling it might be the F Marion McNeill book instead. I do have Clarissa Double-Barrelled's book though, complete with deep fried Mars bar.

Captainmouse

VIP Member
If the best case scenario is 3k sales during a period cookbook sales are at an all time high you’d just call the whole thing off wouldn’t you. Do blank pages for the victims that bought it to fill in with some recipes for solids, give her the next x books advances just to fuck off.
If she gets poor sales does she have to return the advance?

• Haha

Captainmouse

VIP Member
NotJack is an Instagram account that was set up in January, claimed to be a new vegan, and went straight into defending Jack against the angry vegans on the Linda McCartney page.

Since then, the account has shared lots of photos of vegan food.

There is some circumstantial evidence suggesting that NotJack is Jack. Most notably:

* NotJack's first action on Instagram was to defend Jack. NotJack does not follow Jack, and would appear to have no real dog in this fight - so why jump in?

* NotJack claims to be a brand new vegan who started in Veganuary and is still going. However, immediately after appearing, some Frauen found that a Twitter account with exactly the same handle existed. The Twitter account hadn't posted in a couple of years, but claimed to be vegan.

* As soon as the Twitter account was mentioned here, it was deactivated.

* The Twitter account also featured complaints about trains, which is very Jackesque.

* NotJack continues to share food pics which share some characteristics with Jack's food, such as unusual ways of putting spread on bread or dumping a pile of coriander, stalks and all, into a dish.

No smoking gun, but room for doubt...
You forgot the bowls

Lanie

VIP Member
Currently reading a Virginia Andrews right now. My mum sent it over with alot of other books and I hadnt read it yet. I think this may be a ghost writer one.

• Haha
  • Heart

Captainmouse

VIP Member
Well, this has somehow infiltrated my YouTube recommended list (another joyful distraction now tainted by the bootstrapcock 🙄)
It's only bloody got 42 views, so why have I been cursed?
Fuck sake.

Would anyone care to speculate how much of the 2min 8sec is spent referring to self?
🤔 2 mins?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13

Flibbertigibbet

Chatty Member
Virgina Andrews is next level insanity. Did anyone read My Sweet Audrina? It stayed with me for live (along with Flowers in the Attic). David Walliams got nothing on her.
Was that the ice skater one or the incest one?

• Haha
  • Heart

MancBee

VIP Member
With you on slugs. I had an awful recurring dream about them as a child and have an irrational hate of them.
Me too. I can't even look at a picture of one. I get sweaty palms and they make me feel physically sick. I know it is silly as they can't harm you, but I'm feeling queasy just at the mention. Even the word on a page starts me off, so I would struggle to write it.

Wierd I know, and I was unaware there's a word for it.

bladiesla

VIP Member
Dear God I’ve never read that before, it’s a whole “Play for Today “. Younger tattlers will have to google that.
My bf introduced me to that with the one set in Greenock (Just a Boy's Game). I felt bad for a few days aftr watching that.

Reactions: 12

jordishaw

Chatty Member

Thank you! I have the condensed milk at the ready.

What I really want to try once I've mastered tablet is a little experimentation. As a child in the Middle East, my favourite sweetie was bought from the suq and we called it 'manna'. It was white, full of dessicated coconut and you could taste something like condensed milk. Sadly, I've never found any sort of recipe from any Middle Eastern or Indian cook nor anyone who has heard of it or with whom the description rings a bell. So experimentation it shall be.
off topic, have you tried Claudia Roden's coconut jam from A Book of Middle Eastern Food?

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 12