Jack Monroe #169 Please don’t argue about turnips

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Right back at ya @ChocolateMuffin !

I want to paint my internal doors white, have the paint but not the motivation, you may have inspired me! First task today is fixing a drawer in kitchen that needs replacement sliders. Jack needs to count her blessings in her RENTED home, if something breaks, it's not her problem!!! (off topic, but why isn't there a 'standard size' for drawers, took me days to figure out what size sliders I needed?!)

I can't believe how hard Jack has gone done the botanist route in a couple of days. If she really cared she'd be showing how easy it is to grow herbs in pots and tomato plants in grow bags etc, all helping ease the food budget by growing your own, and also, yummy fresh flavours to cook with. Jack is the type of gal who gets yellow sticker salad bags to dry up into green dust for flavouring. Or how plants help mental health. But nope, it's all the Jack Show, and all I see is a blooming twit!!!
Do you think she’s introducing the new book chapter by chapter. First the slop, then the household tips for reusing rubbish and now gardening.

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Who was it yesterday who was asking about her book sales? I have a very trustworthy source in the publishing world who sent me this overnight:

View attachment 495184

Shocking sales figures but I wouldn’t expect them to be high, Jack is only really known on Twitter and if you did come across one of her (terrible) tv appearances it certainly wouldn’t inspire you to buy her book, whenever I see Nigella or Jamie they’re usually cooking a lovely recipe from one of their books, which they’ve obviously spent love and care creating... poles apart

• Heart
Reactions: 41
Good job @Veronicaaa! I'm not surprised - her first book sold very well, but it's been downhill since there...

With the gardening thing...it's mad because I think most normal people ease into a new interest, right? When I started yoga, I didn't run out and buy a premium mat and loads of new clothes and Namaste wall hangings. Same with my other hobbies - I never want to spend much until I can see if I'll actually enjoy them. She goes from hearing someone use the word plant in passing to turning the crappy Bungalow into a jungle in 10 seconds flat.

• Haha
Reactions: 35
Good job @Veronicaaa! I'm not surprised - her first book sold very well, but it's been downhill since there...

With the gardening thing...it's mad because I think most normal people ease into a new interest, right? When I started yoga, I didn't run out and buy a premium mat and loads of new clothes and Namaste wall hangings. Same with my other hobbies - I never want to spend much until I can see if I'll actually enjoy them. She goes from hearing someone use the word plant in passing to turning the crappy Bungalow into a jungle in 10 seconds flat.
But that's exactly what Jack does. She doesn't just take up a new hobby, she goes straight for the money. I reckon this (rented) garden and houseplant project, and tagging the RHS and Monty Don et al is just angling for some grow-your-own/urban farm gigs at the Chelsea Flower Show or somesuch (even though it's old hat trend-wise).

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
Happy birthday eve to @Orphan_Black !
I was thinking today's subject could be mothers' maiden names, with a round up of PINs tomorrow.
No 😂

Also (and not to anyone in particular) and don’t want to piss on anyone’s birthday chips but as there are SO many Aries here (as we found out yesterday), please can the birthday messages that are solely ‘Happy Birthday’ be put on the Food and Drink thread in off topic? For anyone who doesn’t know, this was made last year for general chat. I know we are a lovely bunch but when there’s loads of messages just saying ‘Happy birthday’, it fills the thread up faster and makes it difficult for people just wanting to catch up on Jack.

Sorry for my boring mod message. Feel free to grumble about me in private 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 86
Who was it yesterday who was asking about her book sales? I have a very trustworthy source in the publishing world who sent me this overnight:

View attachment 495184

I remember her saying somewhere on social media that either this book or tin can cook had come out with 'a whimper rather than a bang' because of the pandemic. This does not hold (obv) as you would have thought people stuck in their houses would be looking for something to do and hovering over the Amazon 'buy it now' button.

Reactions: 37
But that's exactly what Jack does. She doesn't just take up a new hobby, she goes straight for the money. I reckon this (rented) garden and houseplant project, and tagging the RHS and Monty Don et al is just angling for some grow-your-own/urban farm gigs at the Chelsea Flower Show or somesuch (even though it's old hat trend-wise).
Gardener Jack reminds me of her interactions with Adam Frost on DKL where she kept asking stupid questions like ‘have you ever grown beans’ and then told him he was ‘really getting the hang of this presenting lark’. Would tell her not to quit the day job but she doesn’t really have a day job.

• Haha
Reactions: 43
I remember her saying somewhere on social media that either this book or tin can cook had come out with 'a whimper rather than a bang' because of the pandemic. This does not hold (obv) as you would have thought people stuck in their houses would be looking for something to do and hovering over the Amazon 'buy it now' button.
Wonder how many copies of Nigellas book sold given it was released well into the pandemic!

Really not sure what decent book sales are though I would assume JO is 100,000+ for each book

Reactions: 27
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.