Jack Monroe #140 This is not what Linda would have wanted

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Or just leave them blank, and you don't even need to buy a rubber to rub out the name and greeting!
Or, in the case of my grandad, go into the wardrobe where nan keeps all the nicest cards she's received and fish out an old anniversary one to give her again.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 55
Use an empty Pringles tube to to store pasta, and enjoy your. family's disappointment when they open the tube.
OH!!! I know her next tip - use an old biscuit tin to store sewing stuff, or if you’re feeling particularly tricksy, an old quality street tin (or tub now I suppose).

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 43
Ask people to write Christmas and birthday cards in pencil instead of pen and not to lick the envelope. You'll save money and be eco reusing them. 😂
Avoid having to send any at all by inventing a cock and bull story about a post office that won't accept mail! You can thank me later for the amazing savings.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 67
Jack actually invented seasonal food in "A Year in 120 Recipes" but it was too far out for the dimwit public and sold poorly. She's just too maverick for the likes of us.
Apologies in advance, I forget she’s always, ‘Completed it mate!’

• Haha
Reactions: 27
I don’t get why she set up a separate IG and twitter called “take a shite”

It’s all for the gram grift, though. Lest we forget The Poverty and Jack’s Origins Tory

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 31
I get given jars of pickled onions for Christmas and birthdays, I am #1 pickled onion fan. I'll even use the brine for salad dressings or just consume the odd spoonful of it. If that's wrong then I don't want to be right.

I've got some helpful tin hacks as well! They were going to go into my new book '100 Ways to Con People Out of Their Money While Doing the Bare Minimum of Work' but I'm feeling magnanimous. Put ring pulls inside your empty tins and seal with old cloth and discarded rubber bands from the postie - free maracas! Upend a number of tins of various sizes and use your knackered cutlery for an authentic 1980s thrash metal drum kit. Put empty tins outside in your garden for mouse houses. Put them in the recycling instead of unnecessarily hoarding them to convince yourself you're wringing every last penny of worth out of your certified rubbish.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
OH!!! I know her next tip - use an old biscuit tin to store sewing stuff, or if you’re feeling particularly tricksy, an old quality street tin (or tub now I suppose).
OMG I still viscerally feel the disappointment of every time I was at one of my grans’ flats and opened a Roses tin to find sewing paraphernalia 😭

Just had a look on the Linda Mc Instagram comments. Delicious (not Jack’s food, just the comments). I wonder if Jack forewarned them about a cabal of bullying ninnies and that’s why they’re ignoring? It’s very weird to just not acknowledge but leave them up. Pretty sure Jack didn’t anticipate one of the loudest dissenting voices being a full on vegan #influencer tho haha.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
I am that "hippy" at work who - back in pre covid days - when we had fuddles used to wash the glass shlor bottles and jam jars and take them home to recycle (no glass recycling at work and others used to put in the bin!!! Also my colleagues bring me their washed GU pots as I save them for candle making with the guides
I save GU pots, not that we ever really have them tbh. I do a bit of fermentation and they are the perfect size to fit in a kilner jar and act as a weight. Pringle tube lids also fit snugly on them if you want to store little things in them.
Steal my tips Jack and I will invoice you. ☺

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
Sorry to go off topic but I'm DYING to share this tip. Tonight I was bored and decided to experiment with decanting. Trust me you'll want to try this one! I decanted a teabag from my collection into a cup. Then using ordinary boiled water (if you don't have any you can sub with any liquid you have lying around) I made a delicious hot drink. My maverick little brain really is my superpower. Best of all it's totally free as you get the teabags with the box and I found the water in the kitchen tap. Fortunately my mate had gifted me a cup and the postman dropped a kettle on the pavement so I had no upfront costs at all!
Omg amazing! I will definitely try this but can you help? I don’t have a kettle cos my nearest puddle is currently frozen and so has stopped spewing gifts in my general direction. I do however have a sink full of blood-temperature dishwater that I’m trying to keep just the right side of tepid with the aid of an old baking sheet. Only issue is that the sheet is smaller than the sink so it’s just floating there, rusting and turning the water a sort of tincancook braaaaahhn. Can I use this in place of your fancy ‘boiled’ water? 🤍

• Haha
Reactions: 54
OMG I still viscerally feel the disappointment of every time I was at one of my grans’ flats and opened a Roses tin to find sewing paraphernalia 😭

Just had a look on the Linda Mc Instagram comments. Delicious (not Jack’s food, just the comments). I wonder if Jack forewarned them about a cabal of bullying ninnies and that’s why they’re ignoring? It’s very weird to just not acknowledge but leave them up. Pretty sure Jack didn’t anticipate one of the loudest dissenting voices being a full on vegan #influencer tho haha.
I strongly suspect she did hence the catastrophic lack of reaction from Linda McCartney (the company, not actual Linda RIP she's blameless in all this). They're basically treating all negative comment as trolling and whilst I don't doubt there has been a bit of bandwagon jumping and mischief it appears to mainly come from genuinely outraged people.

• Heart
Reactions: 42

In high school they made us do some sort of “things that unite us across cultures” topic in RE, I don’t think the disappointment in finding sewing stuff in a treat tin was quite what Mrs Jones expected us to come up with but there it was 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 45
I’m looking forward to buying a book on thriftiness/money management from someone who can’t reliably pay her rent every month whilst earning plenty #lifegoals

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
The only thrifty tip she should be offering is how to get a refund for her boring shite book after it goes on sale

• Haha
Reactions: 27
Jack has started following Clarence Court Eggs on IG. Please no, she'd better not be harking after a partnership with these people, I love their eggs 😨

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.