Jack Monroe #138 Jack Monroe MBE

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Apart from all that it's going really well. Looking forward to Veganuary 2021 already.
Another thing I can witter on about to my heart's content - from wayyyyyy before Kyoto and Brazil. (Nearer Vienna and Montreal - yes, I'm bloody old).

Especially the greenwashing - like microfibreplastic cloths and silicone bags which will outlast any plastic by quite a few bleeping thousand years and are non recyclable.

The most environmentally friendly way to act is NOT TO BUY POINTLESS tit ALL THE TIME BECAUSE YOU GET A BUZZ OUT OF IT. I don't care if it makes fully grown women go SQWEEEEEE like they're about 8 years old and have seen a chick hatch for the first time, that isn't enough reason to have thirty mugs you can't even drink out of, ten sideboards, plastic wallpaper and three freezers. And putting things into glass containers for Insta shots just means that the plastic bottles they came in are stuffed in the recycling bin out back - so they've doubled their consumption to pretend to be consuming less.

I studied this tit extensively. And nearly got into a lot of trouble for one submission where I pointed out all the vested interests in and around the labour government of the time (and might have declared that carbon offsetting was the ecological equivalent of a papal indulgence in one particularly tense tutorial, much to the horror of the trustafarians on the course); the tutor suggested that I printed all my work rather than submitting it electronically, as there were suspicions that various people were infiltrating environmental courses and organisations. The lecturer wasn't wrong.
Grunking at mo' but all of this. Not the tutor bit it's all price of everything and value of nothing and capitalist solutions for all. Have also used the papal indulgence simile

• Heart
Reactions: 17
No. You would not have your house broken into for an unpaid gas bill, and certainly not to change a meter. Ridiculous woman.
They can break in to fit a pre-payment meter but only after obtaining a warrant from the court. By the time it got to that stage it wouldn't be a surprise.

Reactions: 36
Bailiffs aren’t allowed to come in?! Let alone break in?!?
Private bailiffs:
They can come in if there is access, eg. An open Window or door left open (hence why I used to keep all my accessible doors and windows locked, and shut the door behind me when I went to talk to them) . They cannot force there way in.

Court bailiffs:
are different in that they can force entry in addition to the above, but they generally try and talk to you. If you own nothing they will (generally) return the debt to the court to see what they want to do.

You can be summoned to appear in court for non payment of business rates (and council tax too I think), and they have the power to lock you up if you can't come up with the cash, or agree a payment plan (again, that's the last resort as they will get no money when you are locked up)

Generally the ones I dealt with were fine, they could see we had nothing, the court wasnt very nice, but we got it sorted

• Heart
Reactions: 34
I’m aware of the botulism risks from making your own garlic oil, however I’m pretty sure that the shop bought versions have been treated. (I could be wrong. She is really giving guff advice about storing them all in the fridge for ages and filtering etc when realistically you buy a jar of sundried tomatoes and use up then a little bit of oil u can us in chilli or Bolognese etc. Why go to all the nonsense about filtering in kitchen roll. Just keep the jar in fridge and use up. So complicated!
Frugally growing her own botulism to have injected into her face at a later date.

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Anyone else getting urine-stored-in-jars vibes from those decanted oil posts :ROFLMAO:
1B84A6C2-8240-4A6F-AD2E-5D684CC56BA3.png

“And, uh, the jars of urine?”
“Oh, we’ll hang onto those...”

Also I dislike her for crowdsourcing frugal tips in the same way she crowdsourced poverty stories. Because she’s never lived either.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 58
They can break in to fit a pre-payment meter but only after obtaining a warrant from the court. By the time it got to that stage it wouldn't be a surprise.
That would be a real last resort, so something that had gone on for a very long time. You wouldn't just come home to find people breaking into your home . And it would be more likely they would request to access the property via the owner, as the house didn't belong to Jack (she rents, btw).

Reactions: 37
Plus as she’s said she’s always rented, they’d likely ask the landlord for access before it got to the breaking in stage and the vast majority of landlords have keys to the property (I’ve never seen a tenancy agreement where either the landlord or agency doesn’t keep one).

I think it could still end up in the warrant stage if she ignored the landlord too but I can’t imagine they’d have to pick the locks as she put it, and for something like a meter in reality I reckon the emergency provisions would just mean they’d claim they thought it was faulty and got access from the landlord on that basis, neatly skipping the warrant issue,.

ETA: I also think as soon as they got wind of it most landlords would be looking to end her tenancy and come to some sort of arrangement with the utility company to stop the fitting as in the price range she’s mentioned for flats/houses, prepayment meters will put people right off and can be a right bastard to get switched to normal ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: 32
That would be a real last resort, so something that had gone on for a very long time. You wouldn't just come home to find people breaking into your home . And it would be more likely they would request to access the property via the owner, as the house didn't belong to Jack (she rents, btw).
Yes absolutely. Once again this is Jack massively exaggerating for her audience of gullible middle class twats who will all now believe life on a low income is a never ending round of bailiffs smashing up your digs and upsetting the children.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.