Jack Monroe #136 We lived in a house, it had a roof

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Also, this eight year old Feeding Britain report that she's STILL banging on about?

This is her contribution:

IMG_20210117_104655.png
IMG_20210117_104642.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 60
ā€˜But in order to improve the lives of people living in hardship, the voices of those in the eyes of their own personal storms need to be raised and not talked over by well-meaning people keen to charge to the front of the furore.ā€™ Shut the duck up then, you shark eyed cretin. Nothing to do with you.

The thing is, it wasnā€™t anything to do with her TEN YEARS AGO. We found out this week that she didnā€™t even apply for benefits because of her snobby, Tory ways. She went poor for 10 months because she chose to, not because of the benefit system (which I know is tit and does genuinely cause spirals of financial shitdoom).

Since then sheā€™s become a bestselling author (duck knows how but she likes to tell Twitter enemies this before immediately saying sheā€™s too poor to by a Ā£1.29 block of butter and lard will do)... became engaged to a millionaire, then engaged to another wealthy woman, has done numerous appearances, partnerships and written more books. And she has the gall to write in a national newspaper that she is financially unstable?!? What the actual duck.

I will be writing to the Guardian to say, maybe get the opinion of some people who HAVE had experience of Universal Credit bleeping up. Those who have had their child on FSM. Those who have had to handover vouchers to the assistant and explain: ā€œNo, I donā€™t need a clubcard to use that, theyā€™re for poor children on FSM.ā€
Without šŸ”ŗ myself, I ended up in a world of tit last year for pointing out issues with universal credit and it went to a local newspaper. Lost my job, had people saying ā€˜people like meā€™ (an ex-teacher doing a masters who happens to have two children) shouldnā€™t have children, my degree was useless, also, I should jump off a bridge. The most insulting was telling me to get a nose job šŸ¤£ Itā€™s not even big! You stick the words ā€˜single mumā€™ and ā€˜benefitsā€™ in a headline and you are a scumbag. UNLESS youā€™re Jack Monroe and it leads to a life of Viv Westwood, millionaire girlfriends and Cotswolds coming out of your ears. Can you tell I am fumminā€™?!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 114
Just feed the children.... Reminds me of a guy I follow on Twitter who keeps banging on about just take the homeless of the streets and house them. Making statements like that is great but without looking at what led them there just means nothings likely to change

• Heart
Reactions: 48
From that Guardian article.

ā€œBut I canā€™t help feel that, well-intentioned as it is, writing a letter calling for a review feels like sitting in a house that is well alight and musing over where you should have put the smoke detector.ā€

Not only shitting on JO, TK & MRā€™s efforts, but contradicting herself yet again. When #Thunderclap was her bandwagon of the week, she demanded everyone write letters to their MP demanding better pay for the NHS... but now letters are pointless apparently.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 105

ā€œBut I canā€™t help feel that, well-intentioned as it is, writing a letter calling for a review feels like sitting in a house that is well alight and musing over where you should have put the smoke detector.ā€

Not only shitting on JO, TK & MRā€™s efforts, but contradicting herself yet again. When #Thunderclap was her bandwagon of the week, she demanded everyone write letters to their MP demanding better pay for the NHS... but now letters are pointless apparently.
Sheā€™s still very pissed off she wasnā€™t considered for that letter.

• Haha
Reactions: 74

She just can't help herself, can she? Your bitterness is showing, Jack.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 62
I imagine that the world of top celebrity TV chefs is close knit. Jamie and Tom are most probably friends with old Forearms Tebbut.

Would love to see the whatts app group messages about the challenges of working with Queen of Poverty.... Could that be why she was left off the letter?

• Haha
Reactions: 56

Wow, such solidarity with the other "key campaigners".

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 55
The public letter with her name nowhere in site has to be biggest snub that anyone can get. It's like handing around the work birthday card but purposely making sure it passes and it's not even for you.

She's raging and arse licking RM to still have a bit of involvement. They need to do something else now, grab, Emma, Hugh and Tom and Marcus and RM and do like a big joint press release or similar.

• Haha
Reactions: 48
She just can't help herself, can she? Your bitterness is showing, Jack.
I wonder if this working up to a narrative where she declined to sign the letter because - insert random reason designed to make her look authentic.

• Haha
Reactions: 44
I think she looks healthier in those pictures than her current look.
Oh she really does. I think itā€™s the hair that I canā€™t get over. Itā€™s a cross between sideshow bob and something about Mary.

• Haha
Reactions: 50

It's rage inducing - the total lack of self-awareness, the hypocrisy, just the all-round 'it's great if it's my idea but tit if it isn't my idea' attitude. God, it's incessant..

• Heart
Reactions: 47
The public letter with her name nowhere in site has to be biggest snub that anyone can get. It's like handing around the work birthday card but purposely making sure it passes and it's not even for you.

She's raging and arse licking RM to still have a bit of involvement. They need to do something else now, grab, Emma, Hugh and Tom and Marcus and RM and do like a big joint press release or similar.
The roof would surely blow off the crappy bungalow on that day.

• Haha
Reactions: 27
When she finds out about the Rowntree Foundation her mind is going to be blown!

And yes, as ever, she has missed a trick with the garlic- with uncertain times ahead there could be Some good interest in swapping things out/store cupboard swaps or back ups. Powdered garlic - I have ā€œjust in caseā€ and if I want to add it I put it in a bit of oil ahead of time, rather than adding the dry powder to whatever Iā€™m making. I also buy fresh garlic in bulk and chop it and freeze it in blocks.
I guess because sheā€™s such an ardent foodie she just wants fresh....oh wait.

• Haha
Reactions: 43
I wonder if this working up to a narrative where she declined to sign the letter because - insert random reason designed to make her look authentic.
She couldn't do that - she's got to be really careful about what she says in relation to it because she knows she can't just do her usual and lie her socks off without being challenged.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
..... and I wish sheā€™d stop talking about being ā€˜financially secureā€™.

Not everyone who rents or had a mortgage has savings in the bank and financial security, there are plenty of us who arenā€™t financially secure , if we lose jobs weā€™re all up tit creek , not just Jack, call me poor, Monroe.
For most, financial security is an illusion anyway. Unless you have huge savings, all of us are months away from poverty. That's why anyone with a brain should campaign for fair wages and a robust welfare system, not whether the price of garlic has increased.

I've come to the conclusion that she's not very bright.

• Heart
Reactions: 89
Compare and contrast yesterday's vapid trash with this:

Wonderful man, great article. Warms my cynical heart.
A harsh contrast making that ZW/ JM look absolutely ridiculous. It was ridiculous anyway, but this just made it even clearer.

ZW has got a privileged background. She, like many other people can't be 'blamed' for not being able to relate to poverty and her bullshit detector was not switched on with JM. This is me keeping things as neutral as I can be. She is therefore not qualified to write about certain things. Most privileged people are absolutely blind to a variety of life situations. The combination of JM and her doing an article has produced the worst result. I sometimes wonder what Julie Burchill thinks about JM.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
Also, this eight year old Feeding Britain report that she's STILL banging on about?

This is her contribution:

View attachment 388087View attachment 388089
I'm pretty much the same age as Jack and I remember a time when foodbanks weren't so predominant. They seemed to swell in number after the 2010 GE. I think it's appalling that we are now in a situation where they are an accepted fact of life. What Jack's said here is pretty much 'I think work houses should stay open because they are a port of call for the destitute.'

• Heart
Reactions: 34
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.