Jack Monroe #13 Saint Monroe, patron of all tinned and canned goods provider of the great

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
"Producing 5 recipes a day"...."That's a book and a half a month"....
Oh give me bleeping strength!
Adding a tin of something to a dish....is not a new recipe.
Throwing some bread in with your pasta sauce.....is not a new recipe.
Adding duck knows what herbs to a dish...is not a new recipe.
She just adapts and in some cases outright copies recipes.
I actually can't stand it when people do this and pass it off as their own 'new' work.
Jesus, the amount of recipes I've bastardised over the years, I could have written book myself!
But they weren't my recipes to claim!

• Haha
Reactions: 25
What cookbook author wouldn’t be tempted by the prospect of having their book reviewed “in front of a few hundred thousand people” by someone who thinks basil and mint are interchangeable ingredients and that mince has different fat amounts because “it just does”? I can’t think of anyone more qualified to critique someone else’s cookbooks to be honest.
Also how could she review a cookbook when she never follows cookbook recipes ? Can someone tweet her asking to review Marcella hazard first? 😂🤣

I actually can't stand it when people do this and pass it off as their own 'new' work.
Jesus, the amount of recipes I've bastardised over the years, I could have written book myself!
Surprised it’s not 3😂 also where is this food going? 35 meals a week? Even with 3 freezers...

• Haha
Reactions: 7
that living wage really does stretch when you don’t have to spend any money on hobbies & leisure doesn’t it..... 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Threes again. And Moleskines? That's pretty fancy.
Is this a picture of the crappy bungalow?! It's bleeping enormous!!!

In all seriousness, I read and write books for a living (boring ones, tbf, not cookbooks filled with glossy pictures) but I can only fit two bookcases and two shelves in my flat and everything else either has to go to my office or get sold on Ziffit. This much space is a supreme luxury.

(ETA: my shared office at work, not my outbuilding or up the magical bungalow stairs)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 19
Also how could she review a cookbook when she never follows cookbook recipes ? Can someone tweet her asking to review Marcella hazard first? 😂🤣
Oh yes I forgot about that. She reads cookbooks like novels but then makes up her own recipes using bits and pieces from here, there and everywhere. Her reviews would be like those pointless comments you get under a BBC Good Food recipe that say, “2 stars. Recipe didn’t work. I followed it to the letter, except I used corned beef instead of mince, and substituted basil for mint, and I added rinsed baked beans and peaches. Other than that I followed the recipe and it’s rubbish”

• Haha
Reactions: 33
She's such a spoiled brat. Oh L gets cheap tomatoes because I spend all her money on books. Don't you buy your kid anything? She really is insufferable. She can't cook! She can't write! She lucked out and is riding the lefty coattails all the way to the bank. She is such a bleeping beg, a proper charleton. She's more the bleeping Sheriff of Nottingham than the Robin Hood of Food she thinks she is.
bleep!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 29
Yes, agree with everything you've said. Also, the reasons why some cookbooks are much better than others is the amount of testing that goes into them. Not just by the cook themselves, but lay people who have different ovens, don't own all the right equipment, get confused by instruction, etc. That's why in my opinion JO is so successful. His recipes work. Not once have they let me down. Nigella is far more hit and miss I find. At any rate, thinking of "oh I could replace X with y" trying it out and claiming you have written a new recipe is crazy.
Plus, this weird obsession with having invented something. Virtually impossible (only true new food invention I can think of in the last few years is aquafaba and that's pretty niche. ) I enjoy chefs sharing their inspiration and giving credit. I don't expect a cook to invent a new recipe for me. I expect them to provide a foolproof method of getting to a delicious dish.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
It is hereditary. My mum has it diagnosed by a rheumatologist around the time I was getting treated for a very clicky jaw that I can basically dislocate and put back again. My consultant was v interested when I said what my mum experiences. Mine is manageable, non-chronic and basically had to be taught age 25 how wide I should open my mouth. 😂 My mum though has a blue badge as it impacts on her ankles, feet and movement so significantly.
I can do that with my jaw and it's very clicky, as are my ankles. I had no idea that isn't normal 😳

• Wow
Reactions: 7
Yes, agree with everything you've said. Also, the reasons why some cookbooks are much better than others is the amount of testing that goes into them. Not just by the cook themselves, but lay people who have different ovens, don't own all the right equipment, get confused by instruction, etc. That's why in my opinion JO is so successful. His recipes work. Not once have they let me down. Nigella is far more hit and miss I find. At any rate, thinking of "oh I could replace X with y" trying it out and claiming you have written a new recipe is crazy.
Plus, this weird obsession with having invented something. Virtually impossible (only true new food invention I can think of in the last few years is aquafaba and that's pretty niche. ) I enjoy chefs sharing their inspiration and giving credit. I don't expect a cook to invent a new recipe for me. I expect them to provide a foolproof method of getting to a delicious dish.
Didn’t someone here say lots of her recipes don’t work? Or am I inventing that? Her remember her saying ( I think on DK) that she only tests recipes once... then saying on twitter she has tested a banana ice cream with 2 ingredients millions of times. Sh is so absurd

I think she did a handful on Twitter or Instagram but they they were very bland. Like a Goodreads reviewer bot.

Ta-dah! (and a big kiss to whichever of you it was who found Threader):

https://threader.app/thread/1138435529366822914
How can you do a mesningful review on twitter 😂

Reactions: 6
Those reviews are absolute word salads. Why does she have to use 6 flouncy words when one will do.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I can do that with my jaw and it's very clicky, as are my ankles. I had no idea that isn't normal 😳
Most of it is benign, but do go to your doctor or physio if problems/pain/changes. For my jaw I was referred to the maxillo-facial clinic by my dentist who was a bit concerned by it, where consultants I think are trained in both dentistry and medicine. My jaw was a bit more painful as I’d be clenching it at night due to stress. Last year had ankle pain that a physio helped me with. *not trained in medicine, my experience only!*

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Coffee kisses update my fellow tattlers .....
The original (and best) Be-Ro recipe was in fact the one my Grandma used.
Hands up who's got one of these lurking at the back of their cupboard? 🙋‍♀️
It's a baking staple in my opinion.
Notice how all the recipes are prefixed with the word 'BE-RO'
I'm thinking JM could utilise said prefix for all her recipes going forward and then she has grounds to copyright every single recipe that has ever been cooked in the entire world since the dawn of mankind.
Food 002.jpg

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 25
Didn’t someone here say lots of her recipes don’t work? Or am I inventing that? Her remember her saying ( I think on DK) that she only tests recipes once... then saying on twitter she has tested a banana ice cream with 2 ingredients millions of times. Sh is so absurd

How can you do a mesningful review on twitter 😂
I think someone said lots of the vegan ones don’t.... JM herself has tweeted saying you should follow those to the letter to have success. I get that matters for baking, less so for cooking.

Reactions: 4
Those reviews are absolute word salads. Why does she have to use 6 flouncy words when one will do.
She has to use the most words because she has to be seen to have the most of everything. Words, Moleskine notebooks, afflictions, working hours, recipe ideas, herbs and spices (even though they're mostly interchangeable)....

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I'm still not over her foray into veganism. This type of recipe is typical of non-vegan chefs with little appreciation of vegan food. She's by no means the only one who is guilty of it. Take a meat based recipe and replace the meat with a whole beetroot. I love beetroot, but who wants to eat that? See also "cauliflower steak" which no vegan ever thought was a good idea (actually, I like cauliflower griddled in thick slices, but a steak it does not replace and don't charge me £15 for it, but I digress)

Vegan Wellington is a staple and recipes have been knocking about forever. Most create a delicious filling involving things like chestnu ts, lentils, mushrooms, onions and lots of herbs to get to a tasty dish.

I wish people who hate food would stay away from writing recipes.
Screenshot_20200505-145350.png

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 26
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.