Jack Monroe #127 No-spend year

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I ordered my Christmas food when you could bubble, obviously they didn't happen. The things I bought that we wouldn't eat (bought for bubble people) I dropped off at my friends house and she loved them. No need to ever eat something you don't like

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Hi Jack, I tried tossing my yoghurt through my lentils and now there's a dreadful mess in my kitchen. What should I do?

• Haha
Reactions: 55
My favourite one is def 'I have some pasta, a tin of tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and chilli. Any ideas?' or the 'I have 75kg of serrano ham but I hate ham. Any suggestions for someone who doesn't like ham?'
Oh dear god, don't mention surfeits of ham there's a love. None of us need to go back there.

I know others have said this already, but I really, really, really hate 'Gleeful Lockdown Jack'. I'm so tired and weary of this whole thing and I'm in quite a positive position compared to most. I can't bear her taking so much pleasure in something that is grinding away at so many.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 62
We're absolutely bleeping not desperate for anything of the sort. 90% of my time is spent debunking bollocks on the internet passed on by well-meaning nice-but-not-appropriately-qualified-or-trained people, she's the last person we need up in our niche. Public health is a real job, not a Jack job.

• Heart
Reactions: 50
I must say Harry, you’re not being very sensitive to the Squiggles who rely on food banks. They can’t pick and choose what they get given and often end up with a selection of random tins they get shoved to the back of the cupboard. Luckily, I’m a few years on from being in that situation, but please do bear in mind that not everyone has the luxury of being able to choose their own groceries.
The local food bank I volunteered in (pre Covid) would certainly ask if anything in the bag is not suitable, and change anything that was not wanted. They were very aware that food would be wasted if the recipient wouldn't eat, didn't like, or didn't have the facilities to cook the food in the bag.

I think food banks have moved on from the times of "just take what you are given." Thankfully.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 67
Has anyone watched 24 hours in police custody yet? It’s like Jack on speed times a thousand, wonder what Louisa Compton made of it
The Black Widow one? I haven't!
I must say Harry, you’re not being very sensitive to the Squiggles who rely on food banks. They can’t pick and choose what they get given and often end up with a selection of random tins they get shoved to the back of the cupboard. Luckily, I’m a few years on from being in that situation, but please do bear in mind that not everyone has the luxury of being able to choose their own groceries.
This is true.

But if they've sense enough to tweet Jack then Googling isn't out of their grasp and will definitely produce better results.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
The nerve. This is from the woman who (yesterday?) couldn’t even give consistent advice on what to donate to a foodbank.
It’s not hard, The Trussell Trust have a map so you can find your nearest foodbank, and find out what they actually need.
The Big Issue also has a really interesting piece with useful info for anyone who needs to access, or donate to a foodbank.

ETA. This isn’t to try and “one-up” her or anything. I’m just (like everyone here I guess), so pissed off at how we’ve got into this situation, and it frustrates me that her ego stops her from actually doing anything genuinely useful with her platform.
Exactly. She could basically just post the exact links that you have, and without the need to centre herself or use the word 'I' at all...

Reactions: 30
Why is she having a socially distanced catchup with her dad and brother in a supermarket?... She would be hogging the isles, getting in the way of others trying to safely get their shopping.

I know that face to face contact is something I miss, but for the sake of my, and everyone else's, health, we try to stick to phone/zoom/WhatsApp. I have met up with my sister and brother at a park fairly often, socially distanced, but we are not obstructing people going about their business.

But to clog up a supermarket to "chat tit, innit, babe" to a family member is about as selfish as you can get.
I did hear a rumour that the Bee Siblings were seen hanging around muddy puddles in Manchester 🕵🏻‍♀️...

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Am I missing something about Lockdown Larder starting minutes after the announcement? The food is still there like it was minutes before. No need to rummage through the out of date skank and try to Jackify it. Just cook your food, you know, the way you did yesterday.

Hang on though...😁
... this could be actual me. Obviously, I like them 'cos I bought them and have cooked with them before but just discovered a bag hiding under the wine chiller and chips. Can't wait for the replies. 🤞
View attachment 373091
'Out of date skank 🤣
Reminds me of the Still Game quote 'oot e date shite'.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Can I just say that I become apoplectic with rage when she says "fold" instead of "stir in". Like even typing this raised my blood pressure.
Same. You can’t “fold” anything if you are not making a sauce or baking.

Reactions: 25
You know how it says report after each post, so you can tattle to the tattle bosses? I always feel like pressing report when Jack makes a promise I reckon she won’t keep.
I used to have that impulse when Silver posts her food pics.
Thank god it needs a reason to be given, otherwise poor Silver would be in Tattle prison by now.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Kirsty MacCall video is on tv. Looking For A New England.......duck Jack has spoiled it, I can't even listen to the fantastic Kirsty now. ☹☹
This makes me really sad because Kirsty is one of my favourite famous women of all time. She was everything that Jack isn’t. Have a Day Of Kirsty ASAP to try to reverse this damage!

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.