Jack Monroe #126 Dangling her fl*ps over a Cotswold sideboard like none of it matters

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A no spend year with obvious exceptions, keeping your options open there Jackie!

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 38
When will she learn to stop telling fibs on Twitter? She reads here daily she must have caught on that if she says she’s doing something and then doesn’t follow through then it will be noticed

• Heart
Reactions: 39

I've just listened to this radio play based on Jack's life. I'm assuming she oked the content since there is a picture of her with the people doing the voices.

To cut a long story short Grandma is a religious nutter who goes around protesting a psychic every Sunday, she is also a massive homophobe and snob who can't accept her grandaughter is a lesbian. Jack loves lecturing grandma about cooking and loved to cook soda bread because grandma was too batshit to have yeast or yoghurt in the kitchen because they are alive.

Grandma is proud of hero Jack with the £27K job in the fire service* but not happy when she starts blogging about poverty because it makes her look bad and she is ashamed of her tattoos. Grandma disowns her but Jack eventually she wins back her love when she gets her fortun and mason award. Cue inspirational story about how a single mum on benefits can make it so anyone can.

If I was her family I would be fur
I have tried to listen to that podcast, it just comes over as fantasy. It just doesn't appear to be a believable representation of the real life Jack had at the time. The Grandma appears to be living in the 1940's, Jack seems to be a 50 year old living in a 20 something body, and all the other characters seem to be props to prove what a wonderful person Jack truly is. Nothing sounds as if it is even loosely based in truth. Her portrayal of everyone in that podcast is just so cliched, everyone conforming to a stereotype not seen outside a 60's kitchen sink drama.

It is like Jack wants to portray her life as someone born in the 1960's when having a baby out of wedlock was the worst thing that could happen to a woman. In fact, the "drama documentary" of Jack's life sounds more like Cathy Come Home, or A Taste of Honey. Don't forget, this played out in 2010, Gay characters were everywhere on TV, even in soap operas, tattoos were de rigour. There was even a trans character in Corry for goodness sake.

Yes there was, and still is, prejudice, that will never change. However the way Jack paints the picture, everyone was against her. It just doesn't ring true, like most things in her life.

ETA, during my younger years, assisting on the phone lines at CHE (campaign for homosexual equality in the 60's and 70's) I heard terrible stories of how families reacted when told they were gay. Real true stories of abuse, disowning, attempts at curing them. You could tell that these stories were true, it has given me the ability to sniff out imposters, when someone was saying things just to "fit in". My senses sniffed Jack out years ago.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 72
A no spend year? Is she self excluding from John Lewis? Will she go up to the till, laden with William Morris curtains and that frumpy woman’s crockery, hands aquivering and pass them a piece of paper that says...

DON’T SERVE ME IM ADDICTED TO THE WAITROSE & PARTNERS POINTS

(In reference to her ravaging alcoholic days when she’d put some poor bar staff through the embarrassment of a laminated self exclusion note)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 82
I would bet someone has already arranged for her to have those placemats.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 42
She really is the architect of her own downfalls, she’s wilfully just set herself up to fail - and it’s only day 3 of 2021.
it’s not her fault though, we’re just bullying ninnies, why can’t we just let her lie about stuff all the time and scam people out of money? The audacity of Tattle.

• Haha
Reactions: 35
To play devil's advocate, I reckon Jack is one of those people who make incredibly unrealistic new years resolutions and goals. She probably truly believes she can go a whole year without spending, like she truly believed she'd knit a beige square every day (come on Jack, show us your progress?). It's likely also the reason why she's not done any chaoses/been on twitter much recently. She does have the teeniest, icklest, smol bit of self-awareness so she'll know her twitter addiction is bad for her (and her deadlines 😬) - luckily for us, she's useless at sticking to anything so we'll get her and her ridiculous, overblown purchases back by mid January at the latest 🥴

Until then, go check that puddle Jack!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 54
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.