Jack Monroe #12 Eight thousand pages from her printer, this could take us through to winter.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
When Jack realises Louisa isn’t going to get her tv work, she’ll go chasing victim number five.
I think she's out of luck if she is after Nigella. But I read that Mary Portas has split up from her wife, so maybe that is an option?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
I have a question for you foodies (not you Jack if you are looking).

Have seen many people making lasagna using the dry sheets, not pre-cooking them first. I do,
If using dry, do they actually cook well even using lots of sauce?
‘lo. I love lasagne more than my husband and do both veggie and meat versions; neither of which are particularly gopping. I’ve never cooked the sheets in my life! 👌🏻

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I second this! We got married last year - registry office, pub reception, massive all-day buffet rather than a sit-down dinner and pizzas at midnight. 30 guests. Don’t regret a bloody thing!
The best wedding I’ve been to was exactly that! It was also a friend’s mum who had obviously had the loveliest life and built up a huge network of friends and family so it was evident how much love was in the room, how happy we were all for them, it was so fun speaking to everyone. Best wedding by FAR. Worst was a huge posh hotel one that had been rushed by two people that barely knew each other, the whole thing was so awkward as it was evident it wasn’t a good idea, the marriage lasted less than a year.

We did ours small (funnily, 30 people too) but per head the cost was huge because I wanted it to be *perfection*, and it was. It was thoroughly Instagram worthy (obvs we didn’t do that bit of it). But I never took the time to think what actually fulfils me and what actually matters? I wish I had put that money into a month or two’s sabbatical and spent the time travelling with my husband to be entirely honest. Tbh the cost of it I know people that have done a gap year on less (cringing realising that).

Also found the expectation / entitlement a lot to deal with, it was ridiculous in the two weeks before the wedding I genuinely felt like an accounts assistant processing invoices or requests for work or whatever the duck they’re called, we got asked to pay for all sorts (and did, more fool us).

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Hey - I never precook as I am lazy. I just cover the dried sheets in enough sauce so there’s no gaps, usually make up about 4 layers and it always cooks (goes soft) for me.
I only put the bechamel and then grated cheese on top as well as just disappears when you put it in the layers (more so if it’s the consistent of a horse’s ‘spirit’)
I have never precooked lasagna sheets either, I don’t actually know how you would do that. I just put them in dry and they always cook.

Reactions: 12
Hey - I never precook as I am lazy. I just cover the dried sheets in enough sauce so there’s no gaps, usually make up about 4 layers and it always cooks (goes soft) for me.
I only put the bechamel and then grated cheese on top as well as just disappears when you put it in the layers (more so if it’s the consistent of a horse’s ‘spirit’)
Don't tell anyone but this time I didn't use bechamel as I still cannot think of it without remembering JMs spunk milk lasagna.

I have never precooked lasagna sheets either, I don’t actually know how you would do that. I just put them in dry and they always cook.
I dunked them in boiling water for about 1 minute each.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
No. I am up to my chops in ham for the foreseeable future. Although seeing as our anniversary is round the corner, he will pull a ham out of the freezer.

Nah, she will do a wedding list instead. She is that arrogant.

I have just been and putting things in my basket. :)

Maybe she can lift tins by looking at them?
View attachment 122630

So my lasagna is now done and slowly cooking in the oven.

Have seen many people making lasagna using the dry sheets, not pre-cooking them first. I do,

And they have passion. JM slinging slop crap around in a bowl isn't passion.
I usually briefly soakthem in hot water, just for like a minute or 2

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Don't tell anyone but this time I didn't use bechamel as I still cannot think of it without remembering JMs spunk milk lasagna.

I dunked them in boiling water for about 1 minute each.
This is what I do too. My mum does it without pre-cooking, but I have had *issues* occasionally. Cooking them all the way through seems to make them a bit too pappy, so a brief pre-cook is my compromise.

Also, rarely make bechamel for it anymore either. I copy THAT MAN'S cheat's white sauce here.

If anything I prefer it, and as I'm generally only making lasagne for me (child won't eat anything that mixed up), I can please my goddamn self.

Reactions: 8
look at all these cooking tips, when will tattle been given a publicly fundef tv show? can someone throw a tantrum on twitter? @ a range of chefs ?

• Haha
Reactions: 17
look at all these cooking tips, when will tattle been given a publicly fundef tv show? can someone throw a tantrum on twitter? @ a range of chefs ?
I volunteer as tribute provided you all don’t mind me having a wine on hand and probably having some dog hair on my person at any given time

• Haha
Reactions: 9
No. I am up to my chops in ham for the foreseeable future. Although seeing as our anniversary is round the corner, he will pull a ham out of the freezer.

Nah, she will do a wedding list instead. She is that arrogant.

I have just been and putting things in my basket. :)

Maybe she can lift tins by looking at them?
View attachment 122630

So my lasagna is now done and slowly cooking in the oven.

And they have passion. JM slinging slop crap around in a bowl isn't passion.
This reminds my of the first time my husband cooked lasagne. He was using the stuff that needed pre cooking. I came back from work and he was standing in the kitchen looking stressed, on the hob were all three of our saucepans, each containing a single sheet of pasta.

'Darling,' I say 'what the duck are you doing?' He turns to me, waving the packaging my face. 'Read the instructions!' He shouts 'It says cook separately '.

I am forbidden to discuss this with family or friends.

• Haha
Reactions: 51

This covers vegan chat AND Sichuan pepper chat. I have ordered the peppers and will be making this very soon.
Has anyone got any of Meera Sodha's vegetarian books - 'East ' or 'Fresh India'?
They get amazing reviews on Amazon and I'm very tempted. Plus the books themselves look beautiful.

Reactions: 3
This is what I do too. My mum does it without pre-cooking, but I have had *issues* occasionally. Cooking them all the way through seems to make them a bit too pappy, so a brief pre-cook is my compromise.
I was going to try them dry only but chickened out. Last thing I need is crunchy lasagna :)

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I volunteer as tribute provided you all don’t mind me having a wine on hand and probably having some dog hair on my person at any given time
perfect, instead of tins maybe everything frozen? or put of those long life sachets?

Reactions: 2
We could easily replace a cooking show, a gardening show, a DIY show (not that they exist anymore - let’s steal Kirsty’s craft slot) into one mega show. Sort ur life out with the haus fraus on channel 4?

FYI I expect at least £8k an episode now I’ve found out what the 8 out of 10 cats lot are on.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Has anyone got any of Meera Sodha's vegetarian books - 'East ' or 'Fresh India'?
They get amazing reviews on Amazon and I'm very tempted. Plus the books themselves look beautiful.
i don't but I have made various recipes from.her guardian column all havebeen good

We could easily replace a cooking show, a gardening show, a DIY show (not that they exist anymore - let’s steal Kirsty’s craft slot) into one mega show. Sort ur life out with the haus fraus on channel 4?

FYI I expect at least £8k an episode now I’ve found out what the 8 out of 10 cats lot are on.
if anything should be more for all the multitasking, maybe pitch a mix of come dine/ changing rooms (plesse tell me people remember this?) anf the great british sewing bee?

Reactions: 3
We've been engaged for 18 months now and not getting married till (this time!) next year, but the wait is mainly so long because we don't live in the same part of the country at the moment. Cross your fingers that that changes for us soon...

Neither of our families can afford to help out with costs, which is fine, but that being said it was also quite freeing in making a decision what to do. So we're eloping to a truly beautiful part of the world, with dinner booked at a nearby Michelin restaurant, and then a week later having a party in a gorgeous venue in our hometown for 100 friends and family.

There's just no way we could afford to have a wedding with the aesthetic we want which includes all the people we love, but this way we get a stunning destination and an uncompromising guest list for about £5k in all.

I think it'd be quite lovely for Jack and Louisa to take small boy on holiday and have something nice and intimate while they're away. But it doesn't strike me as Jack's style... she'll want Nigella and Matt (lol imagine the polite RSVP decline) and other media bod types so it's just a big celebration of her.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I remember eating pulled jackfruit at the excellent Bia in Norwich market around 2016. It took me about 2 seconds to find pulled jackfruits recipes online dating back to 2015 and earlier.

And while I love pulled jackfruit, no, it is not the same as pulled pork. One is made out of meat, which has fat, one is made out of a bleeping fruit, hence no fat. The texture and flavour will never be identical. And that's fine. Vegan dishes are good in their own right. There's no need to constantly compare and funnily enough, most actual vegans don't.
totally agree, i eat lots of vegan food as i like pulses etc but i hate this thing of making something LOOK the same asthr meat/fish version and implying it tastes the same, in most cases its just not possible i.e. the carrot "smoked salmon" i saw in waitrose the other day 🙄
[/QUOTE]
Totally agree too !!! I made a Happy Pear jackfruit recipe last year and it was disgusting. I love all their food normally, so it may have been the type of tinned jackfruit maybe or just me. But I love veggie food for the pulses, and the VEGETABLES ffs, I don't want something that is trying to be meat. I eat meat as well, but like to have interesting salads and sides and am trying to make them a bigger part of my diet

• Heart
Reactions: 5
For any of you who are engaged & saving up, honestly just go to a registry office then go get a Michelin star meal just the two of you after. I love my husband beyond words but the best bit of our wedding day was going back to the hotel and sitting in bed chatting til 2am. I did however adore our honeymoon! But I really regret being pressurised into getting married and what that should look like by my tit family who didn’t contribute a penny, I was an idiot looking back x
This!

We got married 6 months after deciding to get married. Registry office. Handful of guests. Afternoon tea in garden courtesy of Morrison's food to order. BYO. Wedding cake made by a friend. Dress from Debenhams. Hubby and kids outfits from H&M. Flowers and tea lights. Spotify playing with songs added by guests!
Best. Day. EVER.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
As a vegan and food blogger for quite a long time I do groan everytime jack gets mentioned online as some kind of vegan pioneer so I'm happy to have found this thread recently.

Also without wanting to sound like a jealous cow other people that have been recommended like bosh and Gaz Oakley are also just as much frauds. Although they've stuck pretending to follow veganism for a millennium compared to jack's couple of weeks. The vegan food section has become saturated with those looking for a trend to make money. The accounts I've mentioned come from privilege, contacts and a load of cash from Goldman Sachs. They've been very successful at taking others recipes and claiming the credit. Things like the bosh Wellington are vegan staples that people have been doing for a long, it's just a company with a big budget behind them and baking with cash from financial institutions that masquerade as individual people. Much like Tesco when they opened their chain of independent coffee shops. The two faces of bosh are regular meat eaters, they don't care about veganism it's just a topic to make money out of.

I'm not really sure if that makes much sense, but what I'm saying is the vegan world is full of frauds now it's become popular.

Do venture outside the world of BBC food, the guardian and Jamie Oliver's sites to find the real independent food bloggers that have a passion for it. These companies are the Amazon's and Google's with virtually unlimited reasorces to control most of the market and there's a whole world out there :)

• Wow
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.