Jack Monroe #112 Is that it? IS THAT IT

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is she finally stepping out from the MR fog? Took a full day off Twitter to let the likes pile up, almost impressive

Reactions: 19
All of us Scottish people (regardless of rural, semi-rural or urban background) just stared and we were like 'we just went to the local school? And there were rich people and poor people and in the middle people and it was fine?'
I have to say, I don't recognise JM's characterisation of her grammar school at all. I went to one around the same time as her (different county) and it was a perfectly normal mix of rich people, poor people and in the middle people that was pretty reflective of the area I lived in. I think maybe things have changed with exam practice and insane parents but that's not when she was there... I suppose 'I was perfectly average in my broad cross section of a school' doesn't fit her narrative.

(In unrelated people who duck me off on Twitter, there's a posh 'journalist' who went to a £21 grand a year school who bores on about how grammar schools should be abolished but that private schools are fine. Dazzling lack of self-awareness.)

• Wow
Reactions: 37
Ah, the infamous weighty wistful whirls of whimsy. 🤢

In this recipe, she encourages people to leave their dough in a warm place for 3 days. She has no concept of health and safety. Given that she is explicitly writing for inexperienced cooks - and given that the Facebook Pound a Day group (her target audience) often sees questions like What can I do with some pasta? - she should be extra vigilant. People who know nothing about cooking will follow each step as it is written, without the experience to say "hmm this looks dodgy." It's a wonder she hasn't been sued for food poisoning!

Plus, those will taste rank - even yeast doughs that prove a few hours too long can taste bad, let alone a whole weekend.

View attachment 327967
I make pizza dough, and a72 hour prove is quite normal but, and this is a big but, its a controlled temperature prove in the fridge, the warmer the place where you prove, the shorter the proving time needs to be.

Reactions: 20
Maybe that’s the difference between England and Scotland then - a greater mix of social classes living within smaller areas. Although I stand by my comment that it’s unfair to accuse the English of “school shopping” to avoid their kids mixing with poorer people. Scottish people would do it if the need arose I’m sure.

That’s not to say that English schools are fully homogeneous* when it comes to class. I went to a rough-as-arseholes comp and there were kids who’d be considered “upper” working class, if that’s even a thing (definitely wouldn’t actually cross over into middle class 😄) amongst kids from really quite deprived backgrounds.

*Look, I’m using “homogeneous” properly!
I wouldn’t call it ‘school shopping’ as such in Scotland but there’s definitely a lot of placing requests for children to go to a school which isn’t in their catchment - maybe because we’re smaller geographically we have a better idea of the quality of nearby schools through speaking to parents at local swimming classes etc as opposed to reading inspection reports or carrying out visits to multiple schools.

I also know someone in Edinburgh who rents out the house they’d bought previously to rent a family home within the catchment of a sought after state school. Not breaking the law and they chose to do this before the kids were school age, but still a bit murky in a moral sense if this is commonplace. Schools IMO need to reflect real life rather than a particular section of society.

Edited to add: as far as I am aware, said family do not shout “WE RENT”

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Did anybody even ask? 🙄
i LOVE your name!

It just reminds me of the adverts Dave (British TV comedy channel) used on the buses and at train stations where they renamed things. They did one for barbecue items and, for example, called a mushroom a 'sweating fungus wheel' and corn on the cob a 'yellow kernel dispenser'. It's so painfully unfunny.
I’m usually not a fan of the stupid literal renaming of things as it’s just cringe. But I have to admit that I saw a raccoon referred to as a “trash panda” and I love it. One of my cats looks like a fluffy (not floofy) raccoon so she gets called a little trash panda. Sleep Warren is just eurgh though.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 22
Most entertainingly bizarre lie
I love that even the nominations list is iconic! Seriously impressed by the forensic level of detail!

Please can I suggest that the Most entertainingly bizarre lie award is presented by Jimmy Nail & for some reason Novak Djokovic?

#The Sloppies

ETA - Sorry, that was a chaos of my own, @HotesTilaire has already secured Jay from The Inbetweeners to present that one! Therefore .: that cheeky little duo have kindly agreed to sponsor the award!

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
Yes.

The lemons get me too.

Fresh lemon juice can add so much to many dishes - salad, soup, fish. But JM makes out that only snobby twats would waste money on fresh lemons :(

Because if you are poor you must survive on stewed yellow sticker slop and fresh, tasty, textured food is Not Allowed.
I always have lemons in, so useful in cooking, salad dressings, drinks etc. the zest is so good in cakes, icing and savoury things when you need a good hit of lemon, vinegar or bottles lemon juice just isn't the same.

A lovely cheap dish is my take on a nigella recipe:

skin and bone in chicken thighs, fresh thyme sprigs (I grow my own, sorry), and a couple of lemons cut into wedges, salt, pepper and olive oil (couple of table spoons).

Put everything in an shallow oven proof dish that will fit the thighs in a single layer with salt and pepper, give it all a good massage, and arrange the thighs skin down down, cover tightly with foil and pop in the oven in about 140c ish. Leave for an hour or so, or up to 2. About 20 mins before serving take the dish out and turn the oven up quite high, 190ish, take the foil off, turn the thighs so they are skin side up and tuck the lemons under the thighs so they don't burn. Cook until the chicken thighs are golden, and the skin crispy, serve with whatever you have to hand (a nice salad and bread in summer, good with mash in winter)

• Heart
Reactions: 25
It was when someone asked her about her previous cats and she said what cats I've never had a cat before.

Then someone said yes you have you used to blog about them. They were called Harriet and Milliband. She said I obviously meant I've never had a cat in this house before. How dare you bring up my previous cat ownership.
Yes! This was it, the previous cats. Thank you so Matt much Matt ❤

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I love that even the nominations list is iconic! Seriously impressed by the forensic level of detail!

Please can I suggest that the Most entertainingly bizarre lie award is presented by Jimmy Nail & for some reason Novak Djokovic?

#The Sloppies

ETA - Sorry, that was a chaos of my own, @HotesTilaire has already secured Jay from The Inbetweeners to present that one! Therefore .: that cheeky little duo have kindly agreed to sponsor the award!
Just checked in with Jay from the Inbetweeners to confirm his availability later in the month and he said “award ceremony? already completed it, mate” so I guess we’d better get Novak Nail after all.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
I have to say, I don't recognise JM's characterisation of her grammar school at all. I went to one around the same time as her (different county) and it was a perfectly normal mix of rich people, poor people and in the middle people that was pretty reflective of the area I lived in. I think maybe things have changed with exam practice and insane parents but that's not when she was there... I suppose 'I was perfectly average in my broad cross section of a school' doesn't fit her narrative.

(In unrelated people who duck me off on Twitter, there's a posh 'journalist' who went to a £21 grand a year school who bores on about how grammar schools should be abolished but that private schools are fine. Dazzling lack of self-awareness.)
I lived in England as a teen, and went to a really tit comp. We shared a fence with a very posh private prep school, and occasionally little 9-year-old toffs would come and throw pennies through it at us during break time.

I'm sure they remember this a lot more fondly than we do...

(Honestly, I think England has an enormous problem with classism. Which is relevant, because this is what leads to Jack's success, such as it is)

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
I always have lemons in, so useful in cooking, salad dressings, drinks etc. the zest is so good in cakes, icing and savoury things when you need a good hit of lemon, vinegar or bottles lemon juice just isn't the same.
Apparently fresh lemons are also great for nail whitening and hand cleaning 💅

• Haha
Reactions: 39
These sorts of questions should never be answered, it's a means of fishing for the answers to password security questions.
🙋

Why would you use the codename for your ladygarden as a password. Well I guess no one would even know.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Well Bercow said himself that the comprehensive that his kids go to in London is very mixed, so I understand that not all schools will be completely segregated in England.

I'm pretty sure if there was a system in place that encouraged that behaviour in Scotland, that behaviour would emerge.

It's mixed in terms of the ethnicity of the girls that go there. You know the fuss about Tony Blair sending one of his kids to the London Oratory? Just like that. Kids commute there from over 60 miles away. David Cameron sent his youngest there, the Goves sent theirs there. Lower than average with SEN, 14% on FSM (the average is 33%). 25% of the places are offered on the basis of academic ability (like a grammar school). Which is probably where they get their FSM students from - the smartest poor girls from an area of approximately 11,310 square miles. For 6th form, it's a massive success to be offered a place there, especially for those whose parents would otherwise have had to fork out for another two years at private school. The uniform is purchased from John Lewis (originally Peter Jones in Sloane Square) - I'll give you an idea of how inclusive it is by giving you the prices for the smallest and largest sizes

Blazer (wool, dry clean only) £87/£116
Box pleat Skirt (wool mix) £44/£61
Pleated Skirt (wool mix) £40/£59
2 Blouses £27/£35
Summer Dress £47/£56
Duffle Coat (wool mix dry clean only) £110/£116

It's a great school. However, it's also about as representative of the English Secondary education system as Oxford University (ie, they let a few smart poor people in, but the place is intrinsically elitist and always has been)

🙋

Why would you use the codename for your ladygarden as a password. Well I guess no one would even know.

But your favourite/first teacher is a known security question.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
She does seem to like looking at her own writing, doesn't she?
I bet when she was at school every 'S' in her name looked like this one.
So, I'd like to vote for the physical awards look like this...
The Sloppies

Surely the trophy should be a gold plated shopping trolley
The Sloppies

I‘ve found what must be a prototype of one of the trophies in the mailroom of a certain publishing house.

56FBF98D-203E-4635-B42B-913F651FE137.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.