Jack Monroe #112 Is that it? IS THAT IT

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have to say, I don't recognise JM's characterisation of her grammar school at all. I went to one around the same time as her (different county) and it was a perfectly normal mix of rich people, poor people and in the middle people that was pretty reflective of the area I lived in. I think maybe things have changed with exam practice and insane parents but that's not when she was there... I suppose 'I was perfectly average in my broad cross section of a school' doesn't fit her narrative.
I had a similar experience and I went to a grammar in the early 2000s (🔺) it was a real mixed bag in terms of people's backgrounds, and the only real fault I can recall is the academic pressure where they felt that if you got less than Bs in your GCSEs you had failed and would amount to nothing 🙄 that and not telling pupils that there were options other than doing your A levels and going to university...

However my mum went to the same school in the 70s and her first lesson consisted of the teacher asking everyone what their fathers did for a living, I think it still bothers her to this day that she had to answer 'hospital boiler stoker' amongst the other answers which all consisted of lawyer, doctor etc. From the sounds of things she was very much treated like the outsider throughout her time there. So things have definitely changed since then!

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
@Switchstreetz

best public performances
Facebook Live one where she wandered off and left someone else to hold the fort. I didn't see, I read about it here.
British Library was it? the one where she was a no show.

I'll be honest, I don't think they're absolutely contenders as it's a strong category already albeit small.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
I wonder if the un house-trained, unnamed, completely mysterious bubble buddy moves out (again) today 🤔

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 34
Tomorrow is the last day for any nominations, but we have a healthy list here - to the point ive had to subcategorise in the lies and chaos categories. Does that not just sum up JM perfectly?!

Ironically the only section we're short on nominations for is "best tv/public performance" a newly added replacement for squiggle category - which on reflection I definitely agree could end up as bullying/bad taste so thank you for raising concerns dear hearts 💕

I want this to be a light hearted thing, so although i have added the kombucha to best chaos, & sponsorbot & port wine reduction to the nominations for "most useless or actively detrimental advice" if anyone thinks that could make the quiz triggering/upsetting for them let me know & i can take them out pronto. Same goes for anything on there.

You can message me privately on telegram same username, or I've just made a gmail account that's 'streetzswitch' if you don't feel comfortable saying anything on thread about this.

Have amended honorary frau so no squiggle is individually singled out hence it just says 'followers'

@People-huv-tae-know I loved your trophy suggestions! Have worked them into titles for pile on and best chaos

Think ive come to a nice compromise for most bizarre lie as well! Here we go:

The Novak Nail award for most entertainingly bizarre lie (presented by Jay Cartwright, Inbetweeners*)
- The black eye
-The lies about her diet including such gems as being a Pescatarian bodybuilder/90% vegan/"i only shop ethically" and "i don't eat sugar"
-The lies about how she obtains her expensive goods. Includes the scarf in a muddy puddle, the extra free sofa, le creuset in a charity shop etc
- The valiant brambly mice
- The soft pink velvet curtains which turn you into a 12 year old boy
- Pretending some friends bought her £300 curtains (and presumably measured her bay window to do so) as a gift/in lieu of payment.
- The £20 shop feeding 3 a week, including such lies as "my budget doesn't stretch to butter," the empty foil tins in freezer & the ever replenishing cupboards and fridge.
- The mystery doorstep soap delivery
- Pretending to lose her "SSRIs" in a skip
- Breaking 47 out of the 26 bones in her foot (maybe she's been hoarding extras)
- Not drinking tea or coffee apart from when she does every day
- Feeding the homeless with melamine cutlery, Edinburgh
- The life changing kombucha, never seen again after that first phenomenal batch
- Claiming she could stand on her toes for 9 minutes thanks to all the ballet she did
- Lies about upbringing such as implying she grew up on food stamps when we don't have them in uk, number of GCSEs etc
- Claiming she was offered seven figures for a film based on her life (3 brilliant nominations from @Montrachet 👍🏻)
- Lies that she turned down or risked any work for moral reasons, or that she is/was working with a huge brand or celeb, (such as Marcus, uk govt or Pret) but top secretly behind the scenes so can't disclose it
- Claiming to have been a stand in for Ruby rose

The Twitter Bully Award for pile on of the year (sponsored by Henry Hoover*)
- THAT MAN Jamie Oliver
- David Walliams
- Stacey Dooley
- Paul Hollywood
- Annunziata Rees-Mogg (@Tabitha D i cannot believe that was this year, potatoes feels like a classic)
- LNER ("WHY ARE WE ALL SAT TOGETHER" "cause you're in the wrong seat, love") (@Anonymousone another iconic JM moment thankyou dear heart!)

The Mission Inn Star award for worst slop (sponsored by the people who make airlines' vomit bags*) @Rosalind96
- Mackerel weetabix in a raw egg with noodles
- The 'sword in the stone' lasagne
- Mussels...and pears
- The faecal 'tin bolognese' with garlic
- SBs THRICE RECYCLED beetroot water boiled pasta & a raw flour cheese sauce. Yummy.
- The afterbirth oats
- Sausagne
- Cheesy fish finger lasagne
- Butter sausage with atomised kale to season
- A mancbee assassination attempt disguised as tomato soup
- Horridge with bacon and banana
- Horse spunk béchamel
- Grated corned beef chilli

The Full Moon award for best chaos (presented by Dr Ian Malcolm*)
- Thanks very matt much matt
- Celery, Edinburgh, "dishoom is not a chain" & accidental tongue photo upload
- The wigs
- Frau for a day, Jack joins tattle
- Thrifty shades of beige
- This morning Chicken lingreenie (chicken not included)
- The ouchy mouth saga and all pains oral, including lipstick healing and teething necklaces💄
- Peeky mink and their unmasking
- Comic kitchen & the identity masking cartoon filters
- GQ article ("how to centre yourself in an article supposed to be about someone else" by Jack Monroe with cameo by kickyball star) & video
- The For Sale sign from hell
- dusty Aunt Helen (DKL)
- The severed foot, finger splinter or any other non-oral physical injuries sustained right before she's due to have a public appearance

Most outrageous waste of money (sponsored by Apple*)
- The sentient mirror
- The smeg fridge
- The items of cotswolds furniture too numerous to count
- The dyson fan
- Edinburgh trip & sleeper train, last minute
- The lion bar deliveries
- The hammock
- Strawberry thief curtains
- However many pairs of airpods she has

The Eye of Sauron award for 'Best' TV/public performance: (presented by Jamie Oliver*) @Lumpyspaceprincess

- Daily Kitchen Live
- Hellman's
- GQ
- This Morning

Most useless and/or actively detrimental advice (sponsored by Captain Obvious & the Southend fire department*)
- You can use a bag for putting things in.
- When cooking you can wash up as you go along.
- The only knife you will ever need is a bread knife
- Any herb will do
- Suggesting a non AF port & wine reduction as an alternative to someone trying to cut the alcohol out of dishes
- Mince has different fat percentages because "it just does"
- Microwave some phat cloves of garlic, its not safe but your house will smell amazing while it burns down
- recommended buying a print of a fictional "sponsorbot" instead of going to seek out a real sponsor (@Scarletfever)

Best Selfie of the year (presented by Nev and Max* - thanks @TheDragonWithAFlagon- sponsored by facetune*)
- Setting a timer to take a photo of her taking a photo with her tongue
- Taking a photo pretending to be really excited with hands to face
- Somethings simmering...sideboard modelling shots
- Trying to look like a 10 year old boy
- Black eye
- Sexy time in bed with cat
- Taking 'writing process' photos instead of writing

Most Urgent Item on the To Do List (special guest presenter kachoochoo who also provided nominations and descriptions 1 to 4)

1. Vegan crackling. The people have been waiting over a year for this masterpiece

2. Sideboard photos. something has been simmering since June. could it be the chicken thigh bone stock?

3. Rooting out Amazon from her website - people like companies that pay their taxes. Jack could set an example by not using them for the small commissions from affiliate links

4. Thrifty shades of beige - the people need the high quality postcards of comforting and delicious recipes that they have paid for

5. £15 a week free school meals. Of course jack could do better at planning them than local govt, she just doesn't want to. She's BUSY tweeting about doggos, ok?

Best imaginary friend/enemy (presented by Michael Caine*)

-"Only good for burger flipping" teacher

-Old chief who likes girls in skirts at the fire station. Traazers? On a bird?!

-"White trash shouldn't breed" lady

-Train man who sat too close and got his shins kicked

-Old man who sidled up to her to say he loved her work

-Matt Tebbutt (the "cheeky duo best mate" version, not the very real and very done with JM version)

- The shadowy cabal of bullying hausfrau ninnies (actually just people with receipts questioning the lies, added @Montrachet)

The Silver Poca Plate for honorary frau of the year (dedicated also to our planetary friend, who sadly can't attend to present, but is a lifelong honorary frau)
- Jack's sentient mirror
- Cooper
- Nibbles & Loppy
- Marcus Rashford
- Matt of the forearms Tebbutt
- Miguel Barclay @Nippybippy
- The followers brave enough to speak out against/call out Jack when they disagreed with her. (@lilamay an excellent addition!)

*none of these sponsors/presenters are real. Viv, Marcus, Krish mate... if you're out there, donate just $15,000 a month to the fictional frauen patreon & we'll send you a postcard with a drawing of the presenters we wish we could have - and a recipe for chicken nuggets on the back ;)

I love your user name and pic never change it! ❤
You are a legendary frau for doing this!

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Out of the loop with this - what did she say about Grenfell?
Brace yourself...
Jack has on many occasions said she was in the Fire Service. However she has consistently lied/embellished about what her role was. We know she was a call handler and whilst this is in no way a trivial role, she would much rather people believe she was a Firefighter and doesn't correct people when they call her this. (and by people I mean squiggles, bluetickers and journalists who have repeatedly printed interviews with her stating this)
This would be bad enough if it wasn't for Grenfell.
Suddenly she was 'on the ground' on the night it happened and tweeted and put in her articles at the guardian that she was in some way part of the investigation.
She said that on the night she gathered blueprints and rang her father (fire station commander) to talk about procedure.
I believe that she was live tweeting all through the night, giving the impression she was all suited up and giving out orders.
She then, all throughout the inquiry, made out that she had contributed to the research. She wrote that she and all the experts had 'decades of experience between us'
It would be funny if it wasn't involving such an horrific event.

Last edited:
  • Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 71
Out of the loop with this - what did she say about Grenfell?
I'm sure she wrote an article about it featuring: speed dial to experts/ poring over the building plans/ howling, gnashing and wailing/ turning up there like a ghoul.
Annoyingly I can't find it but I'm sure a fellow Frau will have the receipts.

ETA Holy tit, the Guardian have given her *a lot* of work!

Reactions: 28
Have these people ever heard of whatsapp?

Or do they think the great unwashed enjoy reading their "hilarious bantz"?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 55
Sorry for posting random things in the middle of conversations but I just found a pic of JM when she discovered her salad bag pesto with a side of campylobacter and also her banana peel ketchup 👍

IMG-20201129-WA0013.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 35
I'm failing miserably to keep up. But I'm howling out loud with the Sloppies nominations. "Kombucha to rival Scotch". And then "mission in stars" sent me over the edge!

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.