Jack Monroe #109 Jack Monroe’s network bandwidth is low

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think it was the person who told he about the email. I think it was very unkind of them especially if it wasn't true and they knew it wasn't. Why would you just it delete it and move on with the idea of what she doesn't know can't hurt her. If she has got lots of work then like she says she's not been black listed so why worry her. I don't know if they were my friends I wouldn't be happy as they are practically feeding her anxiety. In my opinion.

Reactions: 18
Did anything more come from that Kirsty? The Scottish journalist? I looked at her profile at the time and she looks well known and respected.
If she had started properly investigating the Patreon I can imagine Jack panicking. At least those poor squiggles will get the stuff they paid for.
Also, did the 50 shades of shite thing ever get done?
Kirsty Strickland.. Not sure but I started following her on Twitter just in case!

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I do similar due to being on a debt management plan after a few years of hectic spending beyond my means when I was a bit bonkers. Surely she’s not admitting she’s got the same problem, hers is cos of being poor cos she lost her job 🥴
Could I just give you some words of encouragement about life after a DMP? We cleared our debts via DMP and 6 years later our credit rating is back at highest level. About 3 years after DMP ended we got a marbles credit card and used it sensibly, paying balance each month. We kept our co-op cash minder accounts (no overdrafts) but now transfer money to Monzo accounts for pocket money and food spends.
The DMP was a life changer for us, hope its the same for you.

• Heart
Reactions: 54
I don’t think people who have lived in absolute poverty are massive impulsive spenders as a rule.
I think on some level it can be, when you get access to lending it can be a quick way of plastering over the pain and for me it was to over compensate for not having things of my own before. Huge life lesson though

• Heart
Reactions: 41
If she doesn't like roundabouts why doesnt she get off the bike and push it along like a pedestrian for that section? I cycle a lot and still get intimidated by junctions etc and do this all the time.

• Heart
Reactions: 46
Could I just give you some words of encouragement about life after a DMP? We cleared our debts via DMP and 6 years later our credit rating is back at highest level. About 3 years after DMP ended we got a marbles credit card and used it sensibly, paying balance each month. We kept our co-op cash minder accounts (no overdrafts) but now transfer money to Monzo accounts for pocket money and food spends.
The DMP was a life changer for us, hope its the same for you.
Thank you, I’m almost a year in and it’s going to take a long time but just seeing those numbers reduce for once is great. It has huge amounts of shame attached and if it gets in my brain it is arresting but I like that I just ignore it I put the money in a Monzo pot at the start of the month and that’s it step change do the rest

• Heart
Reactions: 45
I think on some level it can be, when you get access to lending it can be a quick way of plastering over the pain and for me it was to over compensate for not having things of my own before. Huge life lesson though
I can see how that would be a reason. I was thinking more when applying to Jack, as her reasoning of “I was poor so I hoard food” or “I never had security so I want it for SB” doesn’t tie in with “I didn’t have money so I can’t stop spending it now” if that makes sense?
I’ve deffo over spent before and I don’t think there’s shame to be had in that because everyone makes mistakes. But I’m more interested in the inconsistencies where on the one hand she apparently waits years to be paid and has no money but is very frugal, forensic and careful, but on the other she apparently has to lock her money away from herself because she has no control of her spending. The two don’t tie up for me.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
If she doesn't like roundabouts why doesnt she get off the bike and push it along like a pedestrian for that section? I cycle a lot and still get intimidated by junctions etc and do this all the time.
Yep! I know only some parts of my adopted city so even as an experienced cyclist I sometimes walk over big junctions if I'm not sure of the flow.
Now is a great time for gaining confidence on the road with less traffic. I do my shopping on my bike - much less hassle than walking and you have better range to go to other places for the special offers!

Reactions: 19
she claims to be so careful and frugal but has to set a spending limit of £30 on her card when she goes shopping, and currently has all her cards locked away in a box?! That sounds to me like someone who has a real uncontrollable spending problem. Does she think she’ll accidentally order another Smeg in her sleep or just wake up to a sideboard delivery that she doesn’t remember buying? She’s not frugal at all she’s bleeping terrible with money and that’s probably why she was skint for a few months. I don’t think people who have lived in absolute poverty are massive impulsive spenders as a rule.
I could be wrong but didn’t she spend ~£36 when she changed the weekly shop to monthly? How would that work with a card with a £30 limit?

The impulse spending certainly doesn’t fit with the ‘frugal as never know when I’m next getting paid/ptsd from being poor’ narrative

Edit @ReginaPhalangee beat me to it

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 31
But that’s two packs of butter! She’s not poor just crap with money
And this is what it boils down to isn't it. She's appalling with money and this is why she is "poor", nothing to do with losing her job or being a single mum. She's literally just shite with money. Mum and dad probably stopped giving her money early on when they realised she pissed it up the wall and that's why is bitter about them and why she didn't ask for help. They were probably like "what happened to that £1000 we gave you last month?", and she probably spent it on a Viv Westwood (RIP) dress whilst her kid went "hungry".

• Heart
Reactions: 43
it is so odd to post this... this is such a small task, imagine if we Fraus posted pics of every small detail of our jobs that are a taken for granted thing. But yeah, of course she needs proof that she sent Patreon things out to complaining squiggles.
And how long before we hear the PO fucked up again and no packages are ever received? 🧐 :unsure:

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 33
Thank you, I’m almost a year in and it’s going to take a long time but just seeing those numbers reduce for once is great. It has huge amounts of shame attached and if it gets in my brain it is arresting but I like that I just ignore it I put the money in a Monzo pot at the start of the month and that’s it step change do the rest
Stepchange were fantastic. Don't be ashamed, be proud that you've taken control of your finances. I'm quite vocal about it because it really did turn our lives around, and if I can help one other person by encouraging them to seek help from stepchange, then it was worth speaking up.

• Heart
Reactions: 50
I could be wrong but didn’t she spend ~£36 when she changed the weekly shop to monthly? How would that work with a card with a £30 limit?

The impulse spending certainly doesn’t fit with the ‘frugal as never know when I’m next getting paid/ptsd from being poor’ narrative
I think you are right. The reason will be because she talks shite constantly. I think she's only just started the GoHenry thing but as usual talks about it like she has been doing it since prehistoric times :rolleyes:

Dave the greengrocer takes GoHenry cards. Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 39
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.