Jack Monroe #101 The bubble bursts

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What in Gods name is Nigella playing at! Sweet potato Honey Beer pie? Has she gone to the dark side?

• Haha
Reactions: 15
It’s definitely not that simple. That article has nearly all the hallmarks of my first marriage. It took me 4 years after I realised what was happening to me, to walk away.

Imagine what’s being said in person that we don’t have any visibility of. People can be highly manipulative.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 39
What in Gods name is Nigella playing at! Sweet potato Honey Beer pie? Has she gone to the dark side?

In a lot of countries they use sweet potatoes for cakes and sweet pies and puddings and find it hilarious that Westerners use them for savoury dishes. I was listening to Jay’s Kitchen Cabinet and they spoke about it. A wonderful information and relaxed show, something Jack could NEVER aspire to.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
In a lot of countries they use sweet potatoes for cakes and sweet pies and puddings and find it hilarious that Westerners use them for savoury dishes. I was listening to Jay’s Kitchen Cabinet and they spoke about it. A wonderful information and relaxed show, something Jack could NEVER aspire to.
I think it's the beer in it that upsets me!

Reactions: 15
Do you think all the baby talk is because louisa wants a child with Jack? It would make sense wouldn't it?

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 28
Thanks for sharing that @JuliaGulia I recognise a lot of it. Jack reminds me of that person a lot. I think that’s why I am so interested in Jack’s behaviour and what others notice about her.

Love to those who have struggled with something similar. Not trusting your own brain is awful.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
Right, so on Jack's ridiculous fridge list, why is the second sticker-concealed person allowed to come to the bungalow for 'formal childcare'? Has SB got a nanny?! How many staff does she employ? Is this bungalow actually Downton flipping Abbey?

The only other thing I can think of is it's Caroline, and they're fibbing to HMRC about what her actual role is because as an admin she could and should be working from home but Jack wants her there in person?
Well spotted. So, she has childcare arrangements in place for the time that the kid isn’t at his dads? To do what, Twitter? And if this isn’t the case then perhaps she is playing the system, claiming furlough for the assistant but putting her to work anyway.. she’s dodgy as duck, and could write books on laziness (if she could be arsed)

• Angry
Reactions: 29
Thanks for sharing that @JuliaGulia I recognise a lot of it. Jack reminds me of that person a lot. I think that’s why I am so interested in Jack’s behaviour and what others notice about her.

Love to those who have struggled with something similar. Not trusting your own brain is awful.
I recognise so much of it from growing up with a narc parent. The parallels between JM and my narc parent are mind blowing.

I am healed (ish) now but it's a struggle not to repeat the cycle.

ETA: JM's so much worse though. For all their issues (and to me they are issues that are not the narc person's fault - yes, JM included - however this doesn't diminish the damage they inflict), my narc parent was in no way a lazy dino napping grifter!

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 50
This is so irritating. There's a reason most beginners' cookbooks start with the same basic things (different ways of cooking eggs, béchamel, tomato sauce for pasta, simple stir-fry etc).

Once you have a solid grasp of the basics, you feel more confident experimenting. You can also learn why things are cooked in a certain way, and use that to inform more cooking.

If you start with specific, random recipes, then...well, you can make one specific, random recipe.

And you end up with Jack telling a squiggle to use jam instead of sugar in baking, substituting an equal amount of jam, ignoring the fact that, um, jam is wet and sugar is dry and this matters, and causing chaos.

Send Buddy Oliver to teach the mysterious, anonymous BB. He'd do a better job!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 54
The situation with JM and her BB reminds me of this quote from the wonderful BoJack Horseman

(Paraphrasing)

'When you're looking through rose tinted glasses, all the red flags just look like flags'

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 82
I may be stepping out of line here, but isn’t it slightly elitist to suggest that just because someone has managed to climb their own particular career ladder they should be more self-aware and have greater levels of emotional intelligence than someone who say, has not reached the giddy heights of head of news.
That is exactly the opposite of what I was suggesting, so elitism has no bearing on it. Love, or emotional intelligence, or susceptibility to emotionally manipulative behaviour has nothing to do with whether or not someone has a successful career. It is irrelevant whether Louisa was a checkout assistant at ASDA, or Head of News at Channel 4, nor is it relevant what "giddy heights" Jack has attained.

I just wished that while Louisa was estranged from Jackie she had met someone else. That would have made it more difficult for Jack to use her manipulative and gaslighting techniques to get her to return.

Just my opinion.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.