Jack Monroe #101 The bubble bursts

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes the font is far too small - it’s virtually impossible to read.
Also, the “search” box is right at the bottom of the page. Whereas it should be right at the top, as people visiting the site will normally want to search for something. (See Jamie’s and Nigella’s sites for how it’s done, Jack).
It’s just all a bit cack handed.
We could even say .. it was all a bit JACK handed ..

• Haha
Reactions: 49
Long post alert! Just like Jack gives gracious permission to photograph her recipe to send to a squiggle, I will permit you to ignore all of this.

I often read posts here (and have possibly posted some myself) which discuss the future downfall of JM. There've been a few posts on Twitter recently to that effect, too.

Dear hearts, I don't think it'll happen. The main reason is that no one cares enough. She's not big enough, she's not known enough, most people wouldn't care about a story about her one way or the other.

The vast majority of people who do know of her and even follow her, still don't see who she truly is. We've discussed this before, but it's so easy to see how the average squiggle misses half her chaoses, because she's so quick to delete. How many times have we had the great @Silver Linings , @xoxo , @Marmalade Atkins and others post a screenshot of something that disappeared within seconds?

The Whiter Than Mayo is a great example. She makes a tone-deaf video. Most people don't view it, some do and praise her, some do and ask questions. She says she'll donate proceeds. The video vanishes. Who (other than us) is really going to keep track of that? If anyone were now to call her out on Twitter or YouTube asking where the video is, whether she's donated the proceeds, etc. it's so easy for her to say 'I deleted it because I was getting abuse for supporting BLM and yes, I've donated the money'. If someone then asks for receipts, I can see how it could come across as bullying (for the record, I don't think it is). But it feeds into the narrative of 'I'm just a poor, single mum on the right side of history and people are constantly trying to bring me down'.

The current butter-gate is another good example. She claims she can't afford butter. Anyone here following her closely, reading each and every thought she posts can see that it's not about butter. It's about claiming she's poor when she isn't, it's about pretending you can't be vegan or veggie on a budget, it's about being so hard up you have to constantly dream up maverick ways to eat and ultimately it's about getting Patreons and filling that tip jar. Two minutes later she's making miso butter aubergine (and abomination of a dish). If you now go and query her use of butter, it's easy to see how that sounds mean and petty to someone who hasn't followed along in detail. I mean, for goodness sake, she's just a poor single mum who is cooking with butter - how can that be wrong? Why would you question that?

And on it goes, I'm sure we can all think of eleventybillion examples.

Reading the comments under this comment from her (CBA to screenshot, it's on here already) is enlightening

I don’t know who needs to hear this but people who don’t like you will take every damn thing you do and twist it to their narrative to reinforce why they don’t like you. Their obsessive gaslighting is none of your damn business. Leave em to it. Live your life. They’ll hate it.
It's clear that many people haven't got a clue that she's talking about 'online trolls' or 'tattlers'. Given how many times she talks about here or general trolls, I can only conclude that much of her audience doesn't pay close attention to her. And because of that, they will always think that questioning voices are bullies.

• Heart
Reactions: 113
In the 'channel 3' video, one minute she says she was rubbish at being on camera and never got asked to film again, and the next minute she's saying that over the years she's had loads of production companies get in touch with her to do a TV show.

• Haha
Reactions: 52
The use of narrative to justify ego-heavy goals and role-playing is quite fascinating, we all do it and often to our own detriment. To be aware of it takes a fair amount of introspection and honesty with oneself. SM really is mostly an extension to this tendency to focus on ourselves, but on hyper-mode.

For an understanding of ‘role playing’ and how destructive the human ego can be, can really recommend the book A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle. (Be prepared to suffer through some new age language, the general theme is very much worth it)

- Sorry, have probably gone a bit off-topic there..
I listened to Eckhart Tolle discuss A New Earth chapter by chapter with Oprah Winfrey. There's an old podast out there. Yes, the whole thing is very Oprah and probably not everyone's cup of tea, but it really helped me through a SEVERLY tough time. Working on letting go of your ego is probably one of the best things any of us can do. Jackie's is so huge though, what would be left of her by the end of it?

• Heart
Reactions: 33
oh @JuliaGulia huge hugs. The whole experience sounds so awful.

[Also on a much more flippant note (jack-style whiplash...) I love saying your name out loud when you post. Watched the Wedding Singer with my 13year old over half term, we both loved it]
Thank you. I'm over the worst bit (last Christmas was hideous) and I know I'll be fine, it's just going to take time and work.

Ha, it really tickles me too! Such a fun film - may have to rewatch it myself 🙂

• Heart
Reactions: 28
With apologies to the veggie and vegan volk. Here’s one from the archives. Whatever happened to Chuka?
464DEE89-3168-447C-BAD7-3FB90862C1E0.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Long post alert! Just like Jack gives gracious permission to photograph her recipe to send to a squiggle, I will permit you to ignore all of this.

I often read posts here (and have possibly posted some myself) which discuss the future downfall of JM. There've been a few posts on Twitter recently to that effect, too.

Dear hearts, I don't think it'll happen. The main reason is that no one cares enough. She's not big enough, she's not known enough, most people wouldn't care about a story about her one way or the other.

The vast majority of people who do know of her and even follow her, still don't see who she truly is. We've discussed this before, but it's so easy to see how the average squiggle misses half her chaoses, because she's so quick to delete. How many times have we had the great @Silver Linings , @xoxo , @Marmalade Atkins and others post a screenshot of something that disappeared within seconds?

The Whiter Than Mayo is a great example. She makes a tone-deaf video. Most people don't view it, some do and praise her, some do and ask questions. She says she'll donate proceeds. The video vanishes. Who (other than us) is really going to keep track of that? If anyone were now to call her out on Twitter or YouTube asking where the video is, whether she's donated the proceeds, etc. it's so easy for her to say 'I deleted it because I was getting abuse for supporting BLM and yes, I've donated the money'. If someone then asks for receipts, I can see how it could come across as bullying (for the record, I don't think it is). But it feeds into the narrative of 'I'm just a poor, single mum on the right side of history and people are constantly trying to bring me down'.

The current butter-gate is another good example. She claims she can't afford butter. Anyone here following her closely, reading each and every thought she posts can see that it's not about butter. It's about claiming she's poor when she isn't, it's about pretending you can't be vegan or veggie on a budget, it's about being so hard up you have to constantly dream up maverick ways to eat and ultimately it's about getting Patreons and filling that tip jar. Two minutes later she's making miso butter aubergine (and abomination of a dish). If you now go and query her use of butter, it's easy to see how that sounds mean and petty to someone who hasn't followed along in detail. I mean, for goodness sake, she's just a poor single mum who is cooking with butter - how can that be wrong? Why would you question that?

And on it goes, I'm sure we can all think of eleventybillion examples.

Reading the comments under this comment from her (CBA to screenshot, it's on here already) is enlightening

It's clear that many people haven't got a clue that she's talking about 'online trolls' or 'tattlers'. Given how many times she talks about here or general trolls, I can only conclude that much of her audience doesn't pay close attention to her. And because of that, they will always think that questioning voices are bullies.
Totally agreed.

We know that most of the squiggles don't follow her all that closely - look at the numbers who would mention Mrs J to her comments months after She Left.

There are also a lot of people who've joined these threads who start out by saying "I always liked Jack Monroe because she helps the poor" or "I have a soft spot for her because she sued Katie Hopkins". This is what she is to the average squiggle, I think - she pops up periodically and they think good on her!

A lot of squiggles never make her recipes because they're not poor, but they like the idea of povs eating healthy. We know that her recipes are tit, but they don't. If they do make a recipe, they'll usually tweak it unthinkingly, so they don't experience the full horror. Or they'll go "ahh she's an uneducated urchin but she's doing her best!"

Plus a lot of people genuinely forget how long ago her "poverty" was, or don't know the backstory - they think she's WC, that her partner beat her or walked out on her when she was pregnant, that she has no support, etc. And she never corrects these misconceptions, of course.

I cringe whenever screenshots are posted here of that small group of Twitter profiles that are always criticising her. They aren't going to unmask her; they just feed into her narrative. What we will see is more squiggles gradually doubting things and investigating, but there will be no grand Scooby Doo villain moment.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 71
This, however, is still there. At the end she nearly calls ITV Channel 3, "giving away how old she is". Channel 3 became ITV in 1990. JM was one year old.
WTF is this video. The point of it. The acting. Then not acting. Then acting. The self pity party. The begging for kindness. The trying to be funny. You get glimpses of the real Jack when the shy and awkward acting slips. I couldn't give a duck if your on ITV Jack love. You begging for views and kindness certainly is very off putting?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 37
The sheer amount of time she spent talking about herself, and the press comment, show how contrived it all is. - How it is just an act. On the one hand she’s playing the role of scared, timid, shy and meek helper to those in need, reluctantly accepting a big role in the name of ‘personal growth’. She then gives away her true self-impression and motive when letting slip how famous she believes herself to be and how much interest she imagines ‘the press’, or in other words other people, have in her. It’s a fools game giving air to imaginary narratives that simply mask a heavy ego.
People who don’t think much of themselves very rarely think that the public needs their work. They need her type of budget cooking apparently. Maybe that was the case 10 years ago but right now she needs to either move with the times or shut up.

As an aside I’m now wondering if the secret vegan pudding ingredient was actually just bread (due to the description of top secret ‘sponge (actually bread) pudding’).

Reactions: 27
No comment from Jack about the statement Marcus Rashford has released about the government U turn on free school meals. Presumably she is dinosaur napping through it all!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 41
[QUOTE="Lumpyspaceprincess, post: 2844543, member: 132059"

I’m nearly 50, never heard of channel 3?
I wasn’t allowed to watch it.. my parents didn’t think it produced the same kind of output as the BBC 😳.
[/QUOTE]
Omg, my mother was the same, especially with CITV v CBBC (kids channels) Bloody weirdo. And the soaps would make the TV blow up, according to my dad 😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 26
People who don’t think much of themselves very rarely think that the public needs their work. They need her type of budget cooking apparently. Maybe that was the case 10 years ago but right now she needs to either move with the times or shut up.

As an aside I’m now wondering if the secret vegan pudding ingredient was actually just bread (due to the description of top secret ‘sponge (actually bread) pudding’).
People don’t need her cooking. They need good basic tasty home cooking that can be adapted. Lots of low calorie sludge in a bowl is not going to feed most families or appeal to them at all.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
People don’t need her cooking. They need good basic tasty home cooking that can be adapted. Lots of low calorie sludge in a bowl is not going to feed most families or appeal to them at all.

You're so right, no one ever needed her cooking. I remember making the carrot burgers when she first 'burst' onto the scene. We we skint, on our arse skint. I also worked at a community project, ironically supporting other parents when I felt barely able to support my own family. Anyway I thought she was going to be a breath of fresh air and something I could use in the cooking groups we ran at work. It took about 90 seconds to realise this food wasnt anything people would want.

My groups focused on proper, normal soups, proper basic curries, cottage pies, homemade pizzas and spag bol. Really good hearty meals that would actually be eaten whilst showing basic skills. I was on my arse but putting the cash flow aside I was in a much better position than the mums I supported. They were living in unsuitable housing, in constant conflict with neighbours, had abusive ex partners to deal with and were coming from pretty crappy backgrounds themselves. They just wanted to feed themselves and their kids with no bleeping about. If they could replace one crappy meal or chippy with something semi decent a week we were happy. They simply did not have the energy to start rinsing beans or grating bleeping corned beef and using 45 pans.

• Heart
Reactions: 61
I listened to Eckhart Tolle discuss A New Earth chapter by chapter with Oprah Winfrey. There's an old podast out there. Yes, the whole thing is very Oprah and probably not everyone's cup of tea, but it really helped me through a SEVERLY tough time. Working on letting go of your ego is probably one of the best things any of us can do. Jackie's is so huge though, what would be left of her by the end of it?
Agreed, or at least becoming aware of it. With Tolle the language and some of the theories are bit weird, but it’s a good introduction. He opens the door, so to speak, which is no easy task. As for Monroe, who knows, maybe she’s the compassionate philanthropist that she so desperately claims to be, underneath it all? Perhaps we’ll never know...

Reactions: 14
Sorry I’m jumping back a few pages/topics but lockdown larder here we go...

If you were a squiggle and had a random spring onion, a quarter jar of pickled ginger and some clotted cream, would you not just type into google your ingredients plus the word recipe? Jack gives the poor squiggles more work by just saying curry, stew, pasta sauce. They will then have to go searching for a suitable recipe. Jack is just the middle man but for nothing. Why is she getting tipped for suggesting “sling it in a curry” Include one of your slop recipes if you must with subs if needed. You’ll get money from a click I’m sure. Encourage people to get cooking. Sorry just a wee rant. And breatheeeeee.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
Totally agreed.

We know that most of the squiggles don't follow her all that closely - look at the numbers who would mention Mrs J to her comments months after She Left.

There are also a lot of people who've joined these threads who start out by saying "I always liked Jack Monroe because she helps the poor" or "I have a soft spot for her because she sued Katie Hopkins". This is what she is to the average squiggle, I think - she pops up periodically and they think good on her!

A lot of squiggles never make her recipes because they're not poor, but they like the idea of povs eating healthy. We know that her recipes are tit, but they don't. If they do make a recipe, they'll usually tweak it unthinkingly, so they don't experience the full horror. Or they'll go "ahh she's an uneducated urchin but she's doing her best!"

Plus a lot of people genuinely forget how long ago her "poverty" was, or don't know the backstory - they think she's WC, that her partner beat her or walked out on her when she was pregnant, that she has no support, etc. And she never corrects these misconceptions, of course.

I cringe whenever screenshots are posted here of that small group of Twitter profiles that are always criticising her. They aren't going to unmask her; they just feed into her narrative. What we will see is more squiggles gradually doubting things and investigating, but there will be no grand Scooby Doo villain moment.
I agree with all of this. I was never a squiggle but probably followed her on Twitter for 10 years, certainly didn’t see 50% of what she said/did (algorithms) & found her pretty harmless but a bit pathetic. I often raised my eyebrows or rolled my eyes at her tweets but rarely gave them a second thought. I just thought she was a massive sad sap complainer who massively embellished on reality. I missed a lot of the THAT MAN pile on because I was busy at the time and found the whole DKL announcement a bit odd (but in a ‘whatever‘ way).

What I did notice was her tweets about Mrs J last lockdown. Her tweets complaining that Mrs J was now working from home which were extremely passive aggressive even popping up in isolation to everything else (algorithms). Then when Mrs J wasn’t mentioned for about 2 months on any tweets that popped up in my timeline I got curious & ended up here.

The thing is she isn’t important or interesting enough to do an expose on but that probably doesn’t matter as she’s basically continuously nailing the coffin of her own career.

Like many of you I own several of her books (only ever used A Girl Called Jack, which is actually quite good because it was simple, basic stuff). I will never buy another. She has irreparably damaged her chances of more TV work, has destroyed her reputation in the food industry & is selling less books with every new release (when she actually submits them). Plus she can’t stop tweeting out of her arse and every time she does that she’s sending people here.

Effectively she’s burning out her own career. It’ll be a slow burn. The slow burn had already been going on for years but she reignited her career this year with DKL & we all know how that went. I have no doubt that she’ll fizzle out. There are now people much better than her at ‘what she does’ (plus you can tell what their jobs actually are). She’s choreographing her own demise because she’s tit at what she does and isn’t a very nice person to boot. The cabal will probably speed this up a bit but it’ll be all her doing.

• Heart
Reactions: 63
Loooong time lurker here. (Joined early but stupidly used a username awfully similar to my own...practically handed myself to Vlad on a Wedgewood plate. Hence the changed moniker)
Origin story much the same as many others...used to admire our Jackie's ethos...then started to question it, my first alarm bells tolled when she was in her severe arthritis/walking stick/ twenty train journeys a day school run phase.
As time has passed I've grown increasingly enraged by her poverty cosplay and sheer duplicity all served up with a helping of naricissim.
I've been poor, really poor. Single mum of four on benefits poor...and yet never felt the need for her histrionics. Head down, worked hard, just about scraped through it. Huge empathy for anyone else in a similar position, it sucks, but things do get better, I promise.
I retrained and became a Train Driver (triangulate that Vlad) so pop in and like things at weird times of day or night..shift work innit. But just wanted to say that joining this thread has been a highlight of this strange year, you lot are so erudite, funny, quick, compassionate and lovely and it's become one of the favourite parts of my day to read here. Eases the stress of driving my train with this new level of heightened risk of large bottomed Mediterranean types wedging themselves to my train.
Anyhow,. Thank you Matt much Matt.
Now duck off...( You literally have no idea how long I've waited to say that!)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 141
Would it "turn into" horrible mush if you freeze it? It's already horrible mush, pal!

Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 10.26.08.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 10.26.48.png

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 39
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.