J. K. Rowling

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What has she said exactly that is hurtful?
Now, I didn’t say I disagreed with her.
i have an issue with WHY she’s does what she does, and the type of person she seems to be, the type of “role model“ she’s trying to be.

Doesn’t mean I don’t agree with her argument, or that I agree with it.

I havent given my opinion on that, it’s not an argument I’m entering into,
my opinion here is just on her.
And what she’s doing online.

Personally I think JK knew what she was doing with Harry Potter- she franchised the tit out of it and a bi-product of that was the huge communities of HP fans that created loads of inclusive safe spaces. Jk capitalised from these people by throwing out tidbits to fit the narrative of the fans. Dumbledore was gay etc. If JK fully intended on a fully inclusive and representative book she would have included this in the book she wrote- not the twitter side show. The facts remain that in her books there are no openly gay characters, there are few characters who aren’t white and the ones that are from other countries or cultures are heavily stereotyped, no characters with disabilities, no one who is gender fluid- the list goes on. Jk isn’t the hero - she just fed fans what they wanted.
I really feel for her fans who are struggling with their gender identity right now- having someone they look up to invalidate them must be awful 😞
This 👍

Reactions: 4
Personally I think JK knew what she was doing with Harry Potter- she franchised the tit out of it and a bi-product of that was the huge communities of HP fans that created loads of inclusive safe spaces. Jk capitalised from these people by throwing out tidbits to fit the narrative of the fans. Dumbledore was gay etc. If JK fully intended on a fully inclusive and representative book she would have included this in the book she wrote- not the twitter side show. The facts remain that in her books there are no openly gay characters, there are few characters who aren’t white and the ones that are from other countries or cultures are heavily stereotyped, no characters with disabilities, no one who is gender fluid- the list goes on. Jk isn’t the hero - she just fed fans what they wanted.
I really feel for her fans who are struggling with their gender identity right now- having someone they look up to invalidate them must be awful 😞
The lack of diversity in the Books I dont include in my reasons against her.
I hate the excuse 'it was a different time' but back then the majority of books had no diversity especially ones aimed at Children.
Thats why it's so good to see the World progressing in such a open and inclusive way.

Imo she was sticking up for women, who are now being reduced to 'people with uteruses' and 'people who menstruate.' We've come so far and this tit is setting us back.
People are going on about trans people's feelings but they are some of the most vicious and violent people I've seen online.

• Heart
Reactions: 43
There is clear research that gets buried that many girls who become involved with transitioning and thinking they're in the wrong body as actually simply lesbian and don't maybe have feminine traits. Many are autistic and many have untreated eating disorders

There is a suggestion that trans stuff is the new eating disorder for those going through puberty.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
The lack of diversity in the Books I dont include in my reasons against her.
I hate the excuse 'it was a different time' but back then the majority of books had no diversity especially ones aimed at Children.
Thats why it's so good to see the World progressing in such a open and inclusive way.
I feel like over the years she’s almost re-written so many of their characters to try and appeal to so many communities,
she made Dumbledore gay to get the gay community on board,
I’m shocked she didn’t try to imply Ron was bi or trans at one point.

she can change their sexuality, race and religion a million an one times but shes destroying that whole series with every single twitter rant she goes on.

Because every time she does it she alienates another group of people.

Reactions: 3
Was searching for a JKR post this morning after last night on Twitter! Also agree it’s brave as it’s not the popular opinion..
I'd disagree and say hers IS the popular opinion, just not on the cesspit that is Twitter.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Surely if your not being transphobic & neither is JK then why be scared to be public with your views.
if you choose to hide your feelings when not on an anonymous forum, maybe you should think about the other point of view
I don’t think Twitter is a great place to have such discussions (which is one reason why JK Rowling should probably back off)

Firstly the fact that you either have to either squash complex opinions into 280 characters, or start a ridiculous thread which defeats the whole micro-blogging appeal of Twitter in the first place

Secondly, it’s culturally not a place to express certain points of view, just like many other websites. Add in the fact that cancel culture is a huge thing now and even nobodies who make stupid jokes or word something badly are at risk of being hounded with real life consequences (see: Jon Ronson’s book on public shaming)... I can see why people would be afraid to publicly state their opinions

I didn't like the HP books growing up, fantasy isn’t really my genre and her writing didn’t convince me. However, I can appreciate that isn’t a popular opinion and think it’s great that she got many children interested in reading

I read The Casual Vacancy and thought it was alright 🤷🏻‍♀️

I do wonder why she’s coming out with these statements at the moment. She normally seems to be supportive of minority groups and with COVID and BLM going on it’s weird timing

Reactions: 5
I don’t think Twitter is a great place to have such discussions (which is one reason why JK Rowling should probably back off)

Firstly the fact that you either have to either squash complex opinions into 280 characters, or start a ridiculous thread which defeats the whole micro-blogging appeal of Twitter in the first place

Secondly, it’s culturally not a place to express certain points of view, just like many other websites. Add in the fact that cancel culture is a huge thing now and even nobodies who make stupid jokes or word something badly are at risk of being hounded with real life consequences (see: Jon Ronson’s book on public shaming)... I can see why people would be afraid to publicly state their opinions

I didn't like the HP books growing up, fantasy isn’t really my genre and her writing didn’t convince me. However, I can appreciate that isn’t a popular opinion and think it’s great that she got many children interested in reading

I read The Casual Vacancy and thought it was alright 🤷🏻‍♀️

I do wonder why she’s coming out with these statements at the moment. She normally seems to be supportive of minority groups and with COVID and BLM going on it’s weird timing
Oh I understand your points completly :)
the big thing on Twitter atm seems to be unfollowing people because they dont like someone your following. Ridiculous

Reactions: 1
For those confused about what she said and why it was hurtful. And full caveat that I still have a long way to go in educating myself about the trans community as an ally for the LGBTQ++ community.

-The most recent (and not the first tweets jk has made upsetting the trans community): JK questions the use of “people who menstruate” rather than women.

-This was followed up by suggesting that the concept of being trans is reducing/removing the concept of sex.

Why this was faced with backlash:
-Not all women menstruate- M to F trans people do not menstruate and that doesn’t mean they aren’t a woman. Plenty of women don’t menstruate, it doesn’t make them less of a woman.
-Not all people who menstruate are women. M to F trans people may also menstruate. Non binary people may menstruate.
-by inferring that the trans community are responsible/the cause of dismantling gender is essentially like she called a load of people the lord voldemort of sex discourse
Etc etc.

this is just a few of the arguments as to why it was hurtful. I’m posting this here to help people who are asking why/ curious as to how this is being perceived.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
For god's sake that's not what she saying, stop twisting things. She was saying people who menstruate are women, not that all women menstruate.
Implying you can't be a man if you menstruate/men can't menstruate.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
For god's sake that's not what she saying, stop twisting things. She was saying people who menstruate are women, not that all women menstruate.
Implying you can't be a man if you menstruate.
cmon she knew exactly what reaction she'd get by posting that

Reactions: 2
No not all women do menstruate, but only biological women are born with the equipment that makes Menstruation possible. If those parts don’t work properly, that doesn’t make a woman any less. I don’t think she thinks menopausal women aren’t women for example, being as she is likely one herself.

Men can never have periods however. Periods are something only female bodies can do.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
cmon she knew exactly what reaction she'd get by posting that
I really don't think that's a valid reason to stay quiet. Especially when the people this reaction is coming from have been the same people to spit absolute vitriol at her in the past.

Reactions: 10
Implying you can't be a man if you menstruate.
I’ve not twisted anything. I’ve stated what she said and the sentiment of why people are upset. People wanted to know why this was an issue.

This is how her tweet has been understood by 100s of people and rather than clarify her intentions she chose to escalate and toss more fuel to the fire.

And not saying this to escalate with you- I just want to share the side of the trans community - but a trans male could disagree. There are plenty of F to M trans people who still menstruate because of where they are in their journey. They identify as male but are still in a female body. Physically you are correct. But sex and gender identity are two different things.

I’ve not twisted anything. I’ve stated what she said and the sentiment of why people are upset. People wanted to know why this was an issue.

This is how her tweet has been understood by 100s of people and rather than clarify her intentions she chose to escalate and toss more fuel to the fire.

And not saying this to escalate with you- I just want to share the side of the trans community - but a trans male could disagree. There are plenty of F to M trans people who still menstruate because of where they are in their journey. They identify as male but are still in a female body. Physically you are correct. But sex and gender identity are two different things.
I think it's obvious she didn't mean women who don't menstruate, for all sorts of reasons including being past menopause, aren't women - nobody thinks that.
But the trans community have been on an absolute witch hunt for her so will twist anything she says to suit their agenda.

Thing is, not everyone is like you, many people refuse to accept that sex exists, and that is where so much of the hate for JKR is coming from.
One of her tweets (about sex, not gender) that she's getting abuse for:
"If sex isn’t real, there’s no same-sex attraction. If sex isn’t real, the lived reality of women globally is erased. I know and love trans people, but erasing the concept of sex removes the ability of many to meaningfully discuss their lives. It isn’t hate to speak the truth."

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.