J. K. Rowling

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Horrible author who in many ways ruined children’s fiction for generations to come with her pointless and derivative overblown writing. Plus it’s mega weird she married a bloke who looks like Harry Potter

Reactions: 4
Horrible author who in many ways ruined children’s fiction for generations to come with her pointless and derivative overblown writing. Plus it’s mega weird she married a bloke who looks like Harry Potter
Oh come on give credit where credit is due, even if you don’t agree with her opinions now. Her writing is incredible and inspired a whole generation of new readers. I remember queuing up for every new Harry Potter, I didn’t do that with any other author growing up! The books were and still are brilliant reads.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
The extreme trans activists like to bully women who don't agree with their views and aren't really doing themselves any favours.

It's typical these days to accuse people of 'hate' just because they don't agree with someone else's opinion. It's very aggressive and JK hasn't said at any time that people can't identify and live their lives as they choose.

Women have the right to say that biological sex isn't an illusion. I've also noticed that women who have transitioned to men don't appear to be as aggressive in their insistence that everyone should fall in line with their views.

• Heart
Reactions: 56
I find her inclusivity in her writing can feel quite tokenist. Like saying Dumbledore is gay, but never mentioning it in the books, just vaguely alluding to something with Grindelwald that could easily just have been have been a best friend relationship, which is how the books really portray it.

The presence of black/Asian characters is extremely limited again, twin Indian characters, a Chinese character. Three characters that had limited depth as characters.

Ive felt in recent years she has tried to retrospectively add inclusivity into Harry potter. She tries to come across as very progressive and inclusive, but whether it is ignorance/limited understanding or acceptance of issues it all seems to land wrong when she says anything these days.

She'd save herself a lot of aggravation by just shutting up and just writing her stories. That's not to say she can't have an opinion, she is of course entitled to hold whatever opinion she wants, whether I agree or not. It's just why bother with the aggravation.

Reactions: 7
I find her inclusivity in her writing can feel quite tokenist. Like saying Dumbledore is gay, but never mentioning it in the books, just vaguely alluding to something with Grindelwald that could easily just have been have been a best friend relationship, which is how the books really portray it.

The presence of black/Asian characters is extremely limited again, twin Indian characters, a Chinese character. Three characters that had limited depth as characters.

Ive felt in recent years she has tried to retrospectively add inclusivity into Harry potter. She tries to come across as very progressive and inclusive, but whether it is ignorance/limited understanding or acceptance of issues it all seems to land wrong when she says anything these days.

She'd save herself a lot of aggravation by just shutting up and just writing her stories. That's not to say she can't have an opinion, she is of course entitled to hold whatever opinion she wants, whether I agree or not. It's just why bother with the aggravation.
I agree, it can. But then I think back to when she wrote it in the 1990's (and I am the same 'age' as Harry) and what she wrote is very representative of a class/school in Scotland at the time (I'm from the borders). We had a couple of British-south asian boys in our year , one girl who was British-Chinese and one girl who was born in Nigeria but emigrated to the UK at 4. Its not the same world that we live in now. There genuinely was less diversity in our schools then.

But I agree the LGBT aspect R.E Dumbledore was completely shoe-horned in.

Reactions: 18
Also, she isn't wrong because biologically it is women who get periods, not "people." You can't argue science. The people that are, are extreme.

Reactions: 58
But - I also adore the books. I queued up at midnight for one of them. My boyfriend broke up with me the day of the release of the final book and honestly I didn't care because I met him, he did it, I collected my book from Waterstones and went home and binged it and didn't think about him.

But - I also adore the books. I queued up at midnight for one of them. My boyfriend broke up with me the day of the release of the final book and honestly I didn't care because I met him, he did it, I collected my book from Waterstones and didn't think about him again for a very very long time.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Oh come on give credit where credit is due, even if you don’t agree with her opinions now. Her writing is incredible and inspired a whole generation of new readers. I remember queuing up for every new Harry Potter, I didn’t do that with any other author growing up! The books were and still are brilliant reads.
I found them dreadful. Overblown, exceptionally simplistic with no real purpose to 90% of the text, no fun to read and simply awful writing. I suppose it’s just taste - I’d hope my kids chose to listen to someone like Marvin Gaye if they wanted to hear good soul music, but can understand why someone as bland and derivative as John Legend sells millions despite being truly dreadful. Problem with kids and reading isnt a lack of good books, its parents finding it easier to jump on “oh Harry Potter is for kids” than spend ten mins off their Facebooks and looking at book reviews to find something decent

Reactions: 3
I agree, it can. But then I think back to when she wrote it in the 1990's (and I am the same 'age' as Harry) and what she wrote is very representative of a class/school in Scotland at the time (I'm from the borders). We had a couple of British-south asian boys in our year , one girl who was British-Chinese and one girl who was born in Nigeria but emigrated to the UK at 4. Its not the same world that we live in now. There genuinely was less diversity in our schools then.

But I agree the LGBT aspect R.E Dumbledore was completely shoe-horned in.
I do agree schools were far less diverse back then, I went to school with two black people (siblings), no Asians etc. It was very white British.

But Hogwarts was a school taking people from across the country not just Scotland which should change it a bit. But I get your point, she was writing a more accurate Scottish school pupilship. I just don't think Hogwarts would've reflected the same.

Reactions: 2
I’m a lesbian and I have no issues whatsoever with trans people. I do however have issues with men who still have penises and have no intention of undergoing genital surgery but still identify as women. Some insist that they should be allowed into women only spaces such as changing rooms and public toilets, and that if they go to prison they should go to a women’s prison. Several self-identified trans women have sexually assaulted or raped women prisoners whilst in jail.

They also believe that lesbians who won’t sleep with them are transphobic and have attacked and harassed women who don‘t agree with them.

These are the types that JK Rowling has issues with.

• Heart
Reactions: 76
I’m a lesbian and I have no issues whatsoever with trans people. I do however have issues with men who still have penises and have no intention of undergoing genital surgery but still identify as women. Some insist that they should be allowed into women only spaces such as changing rooms and public toilets, and that if they go to prison they should go to a women’s prison. Several self-identified trans women have sexually assaulted or raped women prisoners whilst in jail.

They also believe that lesbians who won’t sleep with them are transphobic and have attacked and harassed women who don‘t agree with them.

These are the types that JK Rowling has issues with.
Those are also the type I have issues with... And also men transitioning to women believing they should be allowed to compete in the woman's section of sports. I disagree with that a lot because they are built so differently genetically. Just because they've transitioned, doesn't take away the fact that their body is built so much stronger, etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 46
I’m going to come across quite uneducated but I don’t really “get” what’s she’s saying or what this is about? Im clearly not clued up on this stuff. Can someone give a simple explanation? I’ve seen so many celebs on twitter literally telling her to duck off it must be huge. People are saying she hates trans people is that right?!!

Reactions: 2
I’m going to come across quite uneducated but I don’t really “get” what’s she’s saying or what this is about? Im clearly not clued up on this stuff. Can someone give a simple explanation? I’ve seen so many celebs on twitter literally telling her to duck off it must be huge. People are saying she hates trans people is that right?!!
SOOO... there was an article that said "people with menstruation." And JK basically said "it isn't people, it is WOMEN" because it is only women who get periods. Then extreme trans activists came out saying she's transphobic because trans men also get periods... but as I said, you can't argue biology, it is women who get them. Personally, I don't think JK is transphobic but I think she struggles with the social issues like I do (i.e. men that say they are a woman but still have a penis and no plan to get surgery using women's bathrooms/changing rooms, "men/people" having periods, men that have transitioned to women competing in woman's sports, etc).

• Heart
Reactions: 25
She hasn't ever said she hates trans people, that's nonsense.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Those are also the type I have issues with... And also men transitioning to women believing they should be allowed to compete in the woman's section of sports. I disagree with that a lot because they are built so differently genetically. Just because they've transitioned, doesn't take away the fact that their body is built so much stronger, etc.
Yep, they’ve already had the benefit of male hormones during their adolescent growth years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21
She is awfully focused on what genitals people have in their pants and what people choose to identify as. She loves to victimise herself the moment trans people choose to challenge her. I've had trans friends who were big supporters of her feel utterly invalidated and isolated by her words. She's a TERF. Simple as.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
She hasn't ever said she hates trans people, that's nonsense.
Okay I’m just going by what I read. Obviously I know she’s not tweeted “I hate trans people” explicitly but people are calling her transphobic ?

Why did she feel the need to pick a fight with a charitable effort to provide period supplies? They did actually use the word 'woman' inside the article. Meanwhile look at the staff reviews for her charity on Glassdoor.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.