J. K. Rowling

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love Jo but she has fallen down the dark Twitter rabbit hole where you feel the need to force your opinions on others. It’s why I deleted my account.

My friend works in Harvey Nicks. Jo goes in there fairly frequently and her manager has told the floor staff Jo doesn’t want them to approach her. Apparently they have to turn their head slightly away when the head stylist goes past with her picking out clothes. She apparently parks right outside with her fancy car. But then lots of people do that too.

Reactions: 2
I love Jo but she has fallen down the dark Twitter rabbit hole where you feel the need to force your opinions on others. It’s why I deleted my account.

My friend works in Harvey Nicks. Jo goes in there fairly frequently and her manager has told the floor staff Jo doesn’t want them to approach her. Apparently they have to turn their head slightly away when the head stylist goes past with her picking out clothes. She apparently parks right outside with her fancy car. But then lots of people do that too.
Did your friend say why the staff can’t approach her?

Did your friend say why the staff can’t approach her?
She just said her manager told them she doesn’t want them to approach her. As in can I assist you type of thing. I don’t know if she uses the same staff member when she shops there or if it’s just anyone from the senior staff. My friend isn’t a fan of the books and I am so not sure if that clouds her judgement.

Reactions: 1
I feel like a lot of times she’s trying to do the right thing but just goes about it the wrong way. Like saying now that Dumbledore is gay just to “please the gays” and seem woke. I don’t think she’s doing it to be like “There are too gay characters!! Not my fault you didn’t notice!!” I think it’s more of a “sure, dumbledore can be gay, here’s why”

Kinda reminds me of The Fault in our Stars when they go to visit that author to see what happens after the character dies in Hazels book. He doesn’t give her an answer and she’s mad about it. I think JK is just trying to sort of let fans know that she likes their theories and wants them to sort of be cannon in the HP world.

(sorry if none of that is explained well lol but I tried)

I do agree she’s dragging it on though. The play was one thing (wish it would have toured) but Fantastic Beasts is a bit much. I was excited for the first one because it was a new Harry Potter story and I enjoy Newts character but I couldn’t even finish the second movie I was so bored. I think instead she could have done a Netflix show based on the children of the main characters, or maybe just Hogwarts without anyone relating to the main original characters.

I also agree she should stay off Twitter. It makes people dislike her when they wouldn’t otherwise. I do think she’s trying, and it’s not just to look woke, she’s just not very good at educating herself on everything.

I believe she would have been the worlds first female billionaire if she hadn’t donated so much. Crazy that not all billionaires do that.

That’s my rant, sorry it’s jumbled!

I do agree she’s dragging it on though. The play was one thing (wish it would have toured) but Fantastic Beasts is a bit much. I was excited for the first one because it was a new Harry Potter story and I enjoy Newts character but I couldn’t even finish the second movie I was so bored. I think instead she could have done a Netflix show based on the children of the main characters, or maybe just Hogwarts without anyone relating to the main original characters.
I think a big part of it is that authors (not just Jo but some others too) don't know what to do once they've written such a massive book...especially where its one where they've created a whole world. You kind of peak when you release something like that, and so its easier to just keep releasing stuff for that or going back and tweaking stuff, then it is to write something completely new. I remember when she released The Casual Vacancy, it didn't get the best reviews (I don't think it bombed at all but I guess was just seen as average in comparison), so thats probably why she went back to HP stuff. I think Stephenie Meyer did the same...instead of writing something original, she just tried to write Twilight again but from Edward's point of view.

It is kind of annoying though...I feel like when you have that much money, you may as well just write for fun or release stuff regardless of whether or not its going to be as big as your original novel? I feel like people would respect that more than dragging a story/universe out.

JK Rowling writes a number of books under pen names (allegedly) which really would not surprise me.

The thing is, when I see her name I automatically think of HP. She is a talented writer and does go into other genres, but if she is publishing under a pen name you have to do some digging to figure out it is her.

It is her only way to get away from the HP comparison.

I think a big part of it is that authors (not just Jo but some others too) don't know what to do once they've written such a massive book...especially where its one where they've created a whole world. You kind of peak when you release something like that, and so its easier to just keep releasing stuff for that or going back and tweaking stuff, then it is to write something completely new. I remember when she released The Casual Vacancy, it didn't get the best reviews (I don't think it bombed at all but I guess was just seen as average in comparison), so thats probably why she went back to HP stuff. I think Stephenie Meyer did the same...instead of writing something original, she just tried to write Twilight again but from Edward's point of view.

It is kind of annoying though...I feel like when you have that much money, you may as well just write for fun or release stuff regardless of whether or not its going to be as big as your original novel? I feel like people would respect that more than dragging a story/universe out.
I love her detective series under another name (Robert Galbraith).It is really good. The cuckoos calling, the silk worm, etc. She has admitted they're her books.

Reactions: 3
I love her detective series under another name (Robert Galbraith).It is really good. The cuckoos calling, the silk worm, etc. She has admitted they're her books.
Ah yes this is what I was alluding to earlier! I couldn't remember her pen name and if it was a successful series - I thought I was getting mixed up with someone else.

That first book she did post Potter under her own name, The Casual Vancancy, That was bloody awful I thought. I found it really boring.

Yeah I loved the concept (small town politics) but I didnt manage to get to the end of it. The TV show of it was good though.

I love the Cormoran Strike books and the series too. She has a great tone and I love the Britishness of the references in it.

Think the wizarding world needs leaving be though.

I’ve really enjoyed both The Causal Vacancy and the Cormoran Strike books. She is fantastic at characterisation and often very funny. I think she has had a problem letting go of the HP series, and as a result popular culture is just oversaturated with it. The last FB film was one of the worst films I’ve ever seen in terms of plotting and she wrote the script. Truly, truly dire. I wish she would leave it behind and focus on more original works.

Reactions: 3
I’ve really enjoyed both The Causal Vacancy and the Cormoran Strike books. She is fantastic at characterisation and often very funny. I think she has had a problem letting go of the HP series, and as a result popular culture is just oversaturated with it. The last FB film was one of the worst films I’ve ever seen in terms of plotting and she wrote the script. Truly, truly dire. I wish she would leave it behind and focus on more original works.
I also enjoyed The Casual Vacancy.

Given the theme of HP and how much of it came from her mother’s death, I can understand not wanting to leave that world. I mean look what she created, it’s beyond any authors wildest wildest dreams.

I loved the first FB film, the second was okay but not as good, felt too long. I loved the play, FWIW. Again, LONG, but really moved me. Mind you, it’s hard to be objective about a series you’ve loved for 20 years!

Reactions: 4
I completely get why she wants to stay there too, but I just don’t think she’s producing quality content from that universe anymore. If she were to release a prologue to the original books I’d be first in line!

I enjoyed the play too but as a fan of the actual playwright, Jack Thorne - it’s 100% his baby. I think she just signed off on the plot. Still choked up watching Hagrid finding baby Harry in the fire tho

A place to discuss the author, JK Rowling.

I just wanted to say how brave I think she is posting tweets saying she believes sex is real. I am aware that as a rich, white author she doesn't have a lot to lose, but still.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
Was searching for a JKR post this morning after last night on Twitter! Also agree it’s brave as it’s not the popular opinion..

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Brave to be transphobic? That's a hot take. Sex and gender are not the same. She used the terms 'women' and 'trans people' to say trans women can be vulnerable in 'the same way' as women. Not that they *are* women. Which they indeed are. Erasing their years of struggle to be recognised for who they are. They are not mutually exclusive terms. Brave? No. Ignorant? Very.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 37
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.