J.K. Rowling #4 JK and the Goblet of Ire

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I remember reading years ago about a woman who had very asymmetrical breasts (I can't remember sizes exactly but it was something similar to one being an A cup and one being a DD cup) and it impacted her mental health a lot. She was desperate to have either the large one reduced or the small one made larger but the NHS refused to do anything as it was deemed purely cosmetic.

For corrective surgery like that I wouldn't mind the NHS covering it.
I had a mole checked out by a doctor recently as I was a bit concerned it had grown in size. He told me it was fine and that if I wanted it removed, I'd have to go private because it was cosmetic, unless it was causing me pain or mental distress. Then he said the NHS would cover its removal.

I think the case you've described above could fit under the mental distress category and therefore I'm surprised the NHS don't cover it. They should in my opinion.

Reactions: 7
The idea of stopping puberty sounds ...so so wrong...

My periods started when I was 10, a few months before my 11th birthday! My body had started to change months before this......it was a bit of a shock starting periods at primary school. But it is happening now in increasing numbers, a fair number of girls are starting periods in year 6!

Are people seriously saying children at primary school have the emotional capacity to choose an adult gender for themselves?? If girls in year 6 were given puberty blockers, they would need to be educated about gender in years 4 and 5 so that they can make an educated choice! ffs thats absurd!
I think when girls hit 45KG their periods start, it’s happening younger because kids are heavier now.
I started my period just after age 11 and I was my full adult height at 10. I was very much a child, definitely not capable of making a life changing decisions.

Reactions: 12
I think the classification of what types of treatment should or shouldn't be funded is really murky water and not something I've thought about enough to be able to describe 'should fund' and 'shouldn't fund' categories. I'm inclined to agree with you on that example, but if the rationale is the MH effect, that might also justify a lot of other surgery that I don't necessarily believe should be funded. So for example, someone who is a B cup and desperately unhappy about it might also say their MH is impacted, but would we still think the NHS should fund that surgery? My initial reaction is no. Equally I'm sure a trans person would argue that their surgery is 'corrective' so again it gets tricky.
Something else that has to be considered as well is how common the condition is. So if asymmetry to that extreme isn't very common, I don't see an issue funding correction. But then you get into drawing lines about how extreme it has to be e.g. would a B and a D warrant the same funding? Lots of women have breasts one or two sizes apart, should we start funding all correction? There are plenty of aspects of healthcare the NHS doesn't fund and generally the rationale is because it's so common it would cost too much - thinking here eye care, lots of dental care, etc. The number of trans children and adults seems to be increasing exponentially; surely there will come a point at which it is so common to be trans that trans related healthcare and surgery etc falls into this 'too common to pay for' category?
As I've mentioned before, women with PCOS aren't funded to have facial hair lasered off, so I'm quite uncomfortable with the idea that trans people might be obtaining procedures that biological women are not allowed because what - it's not deemed 'distressing enough' for bio women? I don't really have a conclusion on this so FWIW I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but what seems obvious to me is that these are conversations that really urgently need to be happening in relation to trans healthcare and I'm very concerned about the potential disparity - possibly discrimination? - when compared with biological women's healthcare
I'd be inclined to agree here. Where do you draw the line? Someone's nose is causing distress, the size of their ears, the fact that their face is getting older and it's causing distress..... I could also see it being taken advantage of.

Although I appreciate that AA and D cups is an extreme example

• Heart
I feel like the suggestion you might take your own life because you don't get what you want is a pretty decent indicator of some kind of mental health issue (is extreme narcissism a MH issue? debatable) I remember all these strands of argument years ago when the NHS gave rhinoplasty and breast augmentation etc...I think there's this assumption that once something is classified as 'healthcare' it automatically follows that it ought to be funded, and I don't agree. Why should gender dysmorphia be treated differently than someone who has body dysmorphia related to their nose or breasts? Sorry you're suffering that, but pay for it yourself.

ETA - as an aside, I'd be very interested to see how many people would take up these surgeries if their only option was to pay for it themselves. So if the demand is access to healthcare - sure, you can have that by making it compulsory that any trans related healthcare is available on a payment plan for example. How many would take it up when it's coming out of their own pocket I wonder?
I agree, non essential surgery like that should be chargeable. I would not expect the NHS to fund a nose job for me for 'looks' but if I had breathing issues then I would wait my turn on the waiting list. I think SRS definitely needs to not be done for free. It's unfair on the tax payer and people who need life saving mastectomies etc. Or at least wait their turn and cancer patients should always get preference on this list.

Agree it is a very grey area and SRS likely to be in higher demand.

Last edited:
  • Heart
A prominent transwoman was complaining on Twitter last week that they had to spend their life savings on GRS as 'the NHS is so tit'. The absolute entitlement of that. I've heard horror stories about people getting sick in the US and having healthcare bills run into hundreds of thousands and here is this entitled person complaining that they didn't get their neovagina for free

• Wow
Reactions: 31
A prominent transwoman was complaining on Twitter last week that they had to spend their life savings on GRS as 'the NHS is so tit'. The absolute entitlement of that. I've heard horror stories about people getting sick in the US and having healthcare bills run into hundreds of thousands and here is this entitled person complaining that they didn't get their neovagina for free
The sheer entitlement stinks. The purpose of the NHS is to provide a basic standard of healthcare to all and despite complaints, it does a fantastic job, especially given the chronic underfunding. It isn’t a service you can make demands of. You want something that isn’t covered? Pay for it yourself! The NHS will save a life in a traffic accident, save your life from cancer and helps birth babies everyday. Is that not enough?! I’m so fed up with that kind of entitled attitude.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
That just reminded me of this from 2018:

View attachment 507692
I’ve never seen this before but it makes me unbelievably angry. My friend had a double mastectomy in 2018 for breast cancer. She was only 36 and seeing what she went through was humbling and heartbreaking. The entitlement of these TRAs is absolutely disgusting, I don’t have words really, I am so grateful I have never met anyone with those sorts of views in real life.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
The very idea that JKR is ‘poorly educated’ is just laughable, as is the idea that Oscar Wilde would be a TRA and could school her into the ‘correct’ way of thinking. I despise this notion that the fight for gay rights (i.e the right to get married, section 28, the right to just actually be gay) is in any way equal to trans rights. What rights do trans people not have at the moment that ‘cis’ (sorry) people have? Have any trans people been jailed just for being trans? Has mention of trans people been struck from teaching material in schools? Are trans people not allowed to get married? It’s complete and utter bollocks.

Reactions: 32
What rights do trans people not have at the moment that ‘cis’ (sorry) people have? Have any trans people been jailed just for being trans? Has mention of trans people been struck from teaching material in schools? Are trans people not allowed to get married? It’s complete and utter bollocks.

1617270295357.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Another gem from Trans Day of Visibility. JK really does live the minds of these people rent free.

13675CE7-E6F9-44C8-9E16-81612D90BDC0.jpeg

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 21
Can you IMAGINE the uproar if someone did that the other way around?

• Haha
Reactions: 20
International women’s day, women get to kill 5 transwomen of their choice. My list:
1. Nobody because I’m not a bleeping psychopath

• Heart
Reactions: 31
32D1985C-4685-4762-BA55-BF240017C8DF.jpeg

Would that be a lesbian couple with or without penises, Owen Jones? Seems he knows what a woman is when they come in handy for breeding purposes.

Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.