J.K. Rowling #4 JK and the Goblet of Ire

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do they think if you stop natural male or female puberty it defaults to the other?

Synthetic cross sex hormones will never bring on a real puberty. When will they repair basic biology

Reactions: 14
Creating an over reliance on medical assistance is dangerous for all. Supposing we end up with loads of people who have experienced medical intervention that was unnecessary and who therefore create a life long need for medical intervention? It will only result in increased health insurance premiums for all as the cost of healthcare increases. This means that a lot of elderly people, the people who need it the most, will suffer and the cost of health insurance may be out of reach for them.

In countries where private health insurance is not as common such as the UK, it will only place a huge strain on the NHS. In my view anyone in the UK who chooses to do any of this stuff should be made to have mandatory health insurance.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Oh I forgot to say, the other winners are p a e d o s - just look at what Aimee and co were able to do. A lack of safeguarding is a p a e d o s dream
I hate it because people scoff and accuse people of being a QAnon supporter but there is so much worrying evidence. Especially for people who are pushing for all children to go on puberty blockers until adulthood... hmm... what kind of person would want to ensure that people remain looking pre-pubescent for as long as possible?

When all this collapses, and I do believe that it will eventually collapse, it is going to take all LGB people down with it (acceptance rates in the UK and USA for LGB people have fallen recently for the first time in decades) and it will prove all the people who said "oh, I told you those gay men would target kids" 'correct' because general society doesn't differentiate between LGB and T. I hate it.

• Sad
Reactions: 17
Found the Tweet:

I actually worry what this would mean for women tbh. I wonder how many would choose female puberty. I don’t doubt for some men puberty is also horrific, but I’m not sure it seems as bad as female puberty often is.
Aren’t PBs still experimental? The last time I followed this there weren’t a lot of studies that showed the long term physical and mental effects. As a child you’ve not yet got a sense of your own self or the world around you. It saddens me now that girls who are tomboys start to think they are boys, and effeminate boys start to think they’re girls.

Kids don’t have the foresight of what kind of impact their decisions will have in the future. I think at a 10 years old I probably wouldn’t understand the implications of making such drastic changes to my body. You just want what you want now, you don’t think about how it’ll affect you 5, 10, 15 years down the line.

Reactions: 14
I hate it too as the T should not even be lumped in with LGB. The trans community have done nothing for the LGB community even though they'll try to take credit (the first brick at stonewall bullshit story for example). They are a bunch of leeches and grifters

Reactions: 24
Aren’t PBs still experimental? The last time I followed this there weren’t a lot of studies that showed the long term physical and mental effects. As a child you’ve not yet got a sense of your own self or the world around you. It saddens me now that girls who are tomboys start to think they are boys, and effeminate boys start to think they’re girls.

Kids don’t have the foresight of what kind of impact their decisions will have in the future. I think at a 10 years old I probably wouldn’t understand the implications of making such drastic changes to my body. You just want what you want now, you don’t think about how it’ll affect you 5, 10, 15 years down the line.
Yes they are and this is such a poisoned chalice now that I doubt the research needed will ever be done. I mean just imagine if it was found that they have awful long term effects (I’ve posted before a paper suggesting bone density weakens which can lead to osteoporosis in later life etc) researchers and their employer would be branded transphobic. Nobody will want to touch this.

Reactions: 13
I hate it too as the T should not even be lumped in with LGB. The trans community have done nothing for the LGB community even though they'll try to take credit (the first brick at stonewall bullshit story for example). They are a bunch of leeches and grifters
Even though they don't seem to do much (and I do wish they focused a bit more on bisexual men/women as it does seem very L/G focused) this is why I love the fact that the LGB Alliance exists in the first place. It's a handy way to say to people "we're not a monolith". Especially now that there are 13 branches (UK, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Iceland, Ireland, Mexico, Norway, Poland, Serbia, Spain, USA and Wales) it gives me hope that more people are getting pissed off.

A while back I watched this three part series on LGB history, it's really interesting (though NSFW) and it was made in the late 90s. There isn't a single trans person mentioned until what was the then 'modern day' pride march at the end but I saw many youtube comments talking about the gay drag queens in the 50s and saying how horrible it was that they lived in an era before they could be the trans women they really were inside.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
One of my proudest Twitter moments was when both founders of the LGB alliance Ireland followed me! They're a married couple and seem like the loveliest people

One of them is a GNC and proud 'butch' lesbian who actually has gender dysphoria so that's why she's so passionate about it

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Creating an over reliance on medical assistance is dangerous for all. Supposing we end up with loads of people who have experienced medical intervention that was unnecessary and who therefore create a life long need for medical intervention? It will only result in increased health insurance premiums for all as the cost of healthcare increases. This means that a lot of elderly people, the people who need it the most, will suffer and the cost of health insurance may be out of reach for them.

In countries where private health insurance is not as common such as the UK, it will only place a huge strain on the NHS. In my view anyone in the UK who chooses to do any of this stuff should be made to have mandatory health insurance.
They also take for granted a functioning healthcare system. What if t all breaks down? What will they do, as permanent medical patients, when their medication isn't easily available any more?

Reactions: 15

I agree we need to start having a serious conversation about healthcare priorities in a stretched publicly funded system. Obviously trans people think their PBs and HRT are the most important, but I should think cancer patients who are routinely being denied access to promising drugs because they are too expensive would think otherwise.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I can only imagine what they'd say to that "trans people are the most oppressed in society and can't afford health insurance". Well I kind of feel that that's what you signed up for and if you can't afford to be trans and the associated costs maybe trying to live with yourself as you are might be a better option. It's why kids are in no way fit to make these long term life altering decisions

Reactions: 15
Do they think if you stop natural male or female puberty it defaults to the other?

Synthetic cross sex hormones will never bring on a real puberty. When will they repair basic biology
Don’t know why it came out as ‘repair’ ... learn

Reactions: 2
Found the Tweet:

I actually worry what this would mean for women tbh. I wonder how many would choose female puberty. I don’t doubt for some men puberty is also horrific, but I’m not sure it seems as bad as female puberty often is.
The idea of stopping puberty sounds ...so so wrong...

My periods started when I was 10, a few months before my 11th birthday! My body had started to change months before this......it was a bit of a shock starting periods at primary school. But it is happening now in increasing numbers, a fair number of girls are starting periods in year 6!

Are people seriously saying children at primary school have the emotional capacity to choose an adult gender for themselves?? If girls in year 6 were given puberty blockers, they would need to be educated about gender in years 4 and 5 so that they can make an educated choice! ffs thats absurd!

Reactions: 18
I agree we need to start having a serious conversation about healthcare priorities in a stretched publicly funded system. Obviously trans people think their PBs and HRT are the most important, but I should think cancer patients who are routinely being denied access to promising drugs because they are too expensive would think otherwise.
That just reminded me of this from 2018:

Screenshot 2021-03-31 14.43.10.png

• Sick
  • Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
That just reminded me of this from 2018:

View attachment 507692
I feel like the suggestion you might take your own life because you don't get what you want is a pretty decent indicator of some kind of mental health issue (is extreme narcissism a MH issue? debatable) I remember all these strands of argument years ago when the NHS gave rhinoplasty and breast augmentation etc...I think there's this assumption that once something is classified as 'healthcare' it automatically follows that it ought to be funded, and I don't agree. Why should gender dysmorphia be treated differently than someone who has body dysmorphia related to their nose or breasts? Sorry you're suffering that, but pay for it yourself.

ETA - as an aside, I'd be very interested to see how many people would take up these surgeries if their only option was to pay for it themselves. So if the demand is access to healthcare - sure, you can have that by making it compulsory that any trans related healthcare is available on a payment plan for example. How many would take it up when it's coming out of their own pocket I wonder?

Last edited:
Reactions: 21
I feel like the suggestion you might take your own life because you don't get what you want is a pretty decent indicator of some kind of mental health issue (is extreme narcissism a MH issue? debatable) I remember all these strands of argument years ago when the NHS gave rhinoplasty and breast augmentation etc...I think there's this assumption that once something is classified as 'healthcare' it automatically follows that it ought to be funded, and I don't agree. Why should gender dysmorphia be treated differently than someone who has body dysmorphia related to their nose or breasts? Sorry you're suffering that, but pay for it yourself.

ETA - as an aside, I'd be very interested to see how many people would take up these surgeries if their only option was to pay for it themselves. So if the demand is access to healthcare - sure, you can have that by making it compulsory that any trans related healthcare is available on a payment plan for example. How many would take it up when it's coming out of their own pocket I wonder?
I remember reading years ago about a woman who had very asymmetrical breasts (I can't remember sizes exactly but it was something similar to one being an A cup and one being a DD cup) and it impacted her mental health a lot. She was desperate to have either the large one reduced or the small one made larger but the NHS refused to do anything as it was deemed purely cosmetic.

For corrective surgery like that I wouldn't mind the NHS covering it.

Reactions: 19
He is not on Twitter so which ones do you "sometimes look" at? and because of his views, work wise he is seen as " problematic" just like those Hollywood scriptwriters in the Mccarthy era.
Christ, has it been that long!? Time flies. I thought I'd looked at it more recently than that, but I've never followed him, so I only tended to look sporadically.

It was a podcast I was thinking of that I saw more recently, which was called 'The Mess We're In' and is available on YouTube.

It's a shame he was banned from Twitter. While I did think he was often OTT, I really don't like censorship. I'd prefer to hear his views and make my own mind up, but cancel culture is off the chart now. :(

Reactions: 4
I remember reading years ago about a woman who had very asymmetrical breasts (I can't remember sizes exactly but it was something similar to one being an A cup and one being a DD cup) and it impacted her mental health a lot. She was desperate to have either the large one reduced or the small one made larger but the NHS refused to do anything as it was deemed purely cosmetic.

For corrective surgery like that I wouldn't mind the NHS covering it.
I think the classification of what types of treatment should or shouldn't be funded is really murky water and not something I've thought about enough to be able to describe 'should fund' and 'shouldn't fund' categories. I'm inclined to agree with you on that example, but if the rationale is the MH effect, that might also justify a lot of other surgery that I don't necessarily believe should be funded. So for example, someone who is a B cup and desperately unhappy about it might also say their MH is impacted, but would we still think the NHS should fund that surgery? My initial reaction is no. Equally I'm sure a trans person would argue that their surgery is 'corrective' so again it gets tricky.
Something else that has to be considered as well is how common the condition is. So if asymmetry to that extreme isn't very common, I don't see an issue funding correction. But then you get into drawing lines about how extreme it has to be e.g. would a B and a D warrant the same funding? Lots of women have breasts one or two sizes apart, should we start funding all correction? There are plenty of aspects of healthcare the NHS doesn't fund and generally the rationale is because it's so common it would cost too much - thinking here eye care, lots of dental care, etc. The number of trans children and adults seems to be increasing exponentially; surely there will come a point at which it is so common to be trans that trans related healthcare and surgery etc falls into this 'too common to pay for' category?
As I've mentioned before, women with PCOS aren't funded to have facial hair lasered off, so I'm quite uncomfortable with the idea that trans people might be obtaining procedures that biological women are not allowed because what - it's not deemed 'distressing enough' for bio women? I don't really have a conclusion on this so FWIW I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but what seems obvious to me is that these are conversations that really urgently need to be happening in relation to trans healthcare and I'm very concerned about the potential disparity - possibly discrimination? - when compared with biological women's healthcare

Reactions: 16
I think the classification of what types of treatment should or shouldn't be funded is really murky water and not something I've thought about enough to be able to describe 'should fund' and 'shouldn't fund' categories. I'm inclined to agree with you on that example, but if the rationale is the MH effect, that might also justify a lot of other surgery that I don't necessarily believe should be funded. So for example, someone who is a B cup and desperately unhappy about it might also say their MH is impacted, but would we still think the NHS should fund that surgery? My initial reaction is no. Equally I'm sure a trans person would argue that their surgery is 'corrective' so again it gets tricky.
Something else that has to be considered as well is how common the condition is. So if asymmetry to that extreme isn't very common, I don't see an issue funding correction. But then you get into drawing lines about how extreme it has to be e.g. would a B and a D warrant the same funding? Lots of women have breasts one or two sizes apart, should we start funding all correction? There are plenty of aspects of healthcare the NHS doesn't fund and generally the rationale is because it's so common it would cost too much - thinking here eye care, lots of dental care, etc. The number of trans children and adults seems to be increasing exponentially; surely there will come a point at which it is so common to be trans that trans related healthcare and surgery etc falls into this 'too common to pay for' category?
As I've mentioned before, women with PCOS aren't funded to have facial hair lasered off, so I'm quite uncomfortable with the idea that trans people might be obtaining procedures that biological women are not allowed because what - it's not deemed 'distressing enough' for bio women? I don't really have a conclusion on this so FWIW I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but what seems obvious to me is that these are conversations that really urgently need to be happening in relation to trans healthcare and I'm very concerned about the potential disparity - possibly discrimination? - when compared with biological women's healthcare
Yeah, there are no easy answers to any of it. I suffer from hirsutism and even though I find it very upsetting I wouldn't expect the NHS to fund it for me because there are lots of things I'd rather they funded instead, so I personally wouldn't expect it funded for transwomen either... it's all very complex and intertwined and I'm very pleased I'm not in a position where I have to approve/deny funding for people.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Yeah, there are no easy answers to any of it. I suffer from hirsutism and even though I find it very upsetting I wouldn't expect the NHS to fund it for me because there are lots of things I'd rather they funded instead, so I personally wouldn't expect it funded for transwomen either... it's all very complex and intertwined and I'm very pleased I'm not in a position where I have to approve/deny funding for people.
Yeah exactly, I would think if anyone is going to be funded to have laser it should be women. There seems to be this odd thing with PCOS where it's like doctors just expect women to 'get over it' and accept undesirable hair growth etc. I don't have it personally but 3 women in my family do and I'm always pretty disgusted with the way doctors deal with the side effects, there seems to be no recognition of how distressing it might be. My sister has been told before to buy herself an IPL machine. Imagine doctors saying stuff like that to trans people.

Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.