J. K. Rowling #3 JK and the Prisoner of Gender Stereotypes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If I may offer some insights in terms of Ireland- the GRA was shoehorned in during the same year as the equal marriage referendum, a trans woman lobbied for it and it kind of snuck in unaware to most people. Also, Ireland is determined to show they're progressive and have fought off the yolk of the Catholic Church so that's why a lot of liberals have fallen for this.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
If I may offer some insights in terms of Ireland- the GRA was shoehorned in during the same year as the equal marriage referendum, a trans woman lobbied for it and it kind of snuck in unaware to most people. Also, Ireland is determined to show they're progressive and have fought off the yolk of the Catholic Church so that's why a lot of liberals have fallen for this.
It’s interesting (in an appalling way) how it’s been hijacked onto LGB when it’s a regressive, sexist and homophobic movement in itself.

• Sad
Reactions: 15
Couldn't agree more. And sadly, all the major LGB figures in Ireland have drunk the kool aid. I shared an email from Amnesty Ireland that was sent in respect of placing "Barbie Kardashian" in a womens prison. The tone of the email was essentially "get stuffed". Colm O Gorman is the executive director of Amnesty Ireland and a gay man, he's supportive of the modern trans ideology. Whether these major LGB figures are actually supportive or are just going along with it for fear of backlash and being "cancelled", I'm not sure

• Angry
Reactions: 5
Couldn't agree more. And sadly, all the major LGB figures in Ireland have drunk the kool aid. I shared an email from Amnesty Ireland that was sent in respect of placing "Barbie Kardashian" in a womens prison. The tone of the email was essentially "get stuffed". Colm O Gorman is the executive director of Amnesty Ireland and a gay man, he's supportive of the modern trans ideology. Whether these major LGB figures are actually supportive or are just going along with it for fear of backlash and being "cancelled", I'm not sure

I think it’s money more than anything. Though it could be fear of being cancelled. I’d love Twitter to be cancelled, but then, how would we know they had been lol?

Reactions: 4

I think it’s money more than anything. Though it could be fear of being cancelled. I’d love Twitter to be cancelled, but then, how would we know they had been lol?
moneyyy for sure the biggest players are set to make a killing on generations of people hooked on drugs and paying for expensive surgeries

• Heart
Reactions: 6
There’s no way a massive company like Tampax would truly be affected by any kind of boycott. Especially as they are part of a much larger conglomerate. This is why they do all this woke signalling crap, there are no consequences to doing it and the wokey Twitter mob get their daily dose of virtue signalling and feeling morally superior.

Reactions: 11
you know, i find it interesting how it's easily accepted in canada and to a lesser degree the states, but there seems to be a greater debate in the uk
we can think for ourselves more than the Americans i think.

Reactions: 3
This is a story about a man called Kevin Price, who was until last week a councillor and who is, for now at least, employed as a porter at a Cambridge college.
The story illustrates two points. First, political conflict over trans rights and women’s rights is far from over, especially in the Labour Party. Second, people who say the wrong thing in this debate can put their livelihood at risk.
Mr Price last week resigned from Cambridge City Council. He had sat as a Labour councillor since 2010 and was once the council’s deputy leader.
He resigned rather than follow the Labour Group whip and vote for a motion that declared, among other things that:
“'Trans women are women. Trans men are men. Non-binary individuals are non-binary.'
Those are, of course, the holy words of trans orthodoxy, a catechism that cannot be questioned despite the countless questions it raises. (Here’s a starter for ten: if trans women are women, what does the word ‘women’ mean?)
Mr Price quit because, he said, he could not accept the unquestioning, uncritical adoption of those words. He noted that for some people, those words have highly troubling implications.
Resigning, he said:
“‘The inclusion of the first three sentences of this motion will send a chill down the spines of the many women who believe there is a conflict of rights and who want to be able to discuss those in a calm and evidenced-based way….

[It is] foolish to pretend that there are not widely differing views in the current debate or that many people, especially women, are concerned about the impact on women’s sex-based rights from changes both in legislation and within society and who fear, not only that those rights are under threat, but that they are unable to raise legitimate questions and concerns without a hostile response.’
And that might have been the end of the story, seeing Mr Price ending his career as an interesting example of a politician putting principle before position or the party line, with a fairly measured contribution to a debate that too many politicians are still wary to enter.

There’s something both distasteful and revealing about students threatening the livelihood of a man employed to serve them because he refuses to share their opinions
If that was the end of it, Mr Price’s tale might prove only that Labour has some way to go before it reaches a settled, unified stance on this issue. There are good reasons that Keir Starmer has been trying to take a ‘listen to both sides’ position on the trans debate; one of those reasons is that his party is seriously split on the issue.
But that is not the end of Mr Price’s story. For Mr Price is now facing the sort of ‘hostile response’ he spoke about – calls for his employer to dismiss him from his job, because of his thoughts on sex and gender and ultimately, because of his reluctance to say the holy words.
According to Varsity, a student paper, the Union of Clare Students has condemned him and demanded the college authorities act against him. By discussing issues of policy and law at a council meeting, Mr Price had jeopardised the ‘safety’ of the college’s trans and non-binary students, the union suggested in a statement.
Varsity further quotes one Clare student as saying Price is ‘unfit both to hold public office and to be in a position of responsibility over students.’
Now, I didn’t go to Oxbridge and I’m not much for Marxist analysis of society as a class struggle. But I know enough about both to suggest that there’s something both distasteful and revealing about a bunch of Cambridge undergraduates threatening the livelihood of a man employed to serve them because he refuses to share their opinions and adopt their language.
There’s been a lot of talk in recent years about free speech on campus being under threat, and a lot of that talk has been overblown, based on nothing more than stupid self-important students doing what stupid, self-important students have always done and disinviting or banning people from speaking at events that no reasonable person would ever want to attend anyway.
But some of the concerns about universities and free inquiry are justified: just ask Professor Selina Todd, an Oxford historian who needed bodyguards because some people objected to her research on sex and gender in history.
And now it appears that the refusal to permit dissent or debate about sex and gender could cost a man his job at a university. I hope not, and not just for the sake of Kevin Price.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-trans-debate-could-cost-this-cambridge-porter-his-job#

• Sad
Reactions: 11
This is a story about a man called Kevin Price, who was until last week a councillor and who is, for now at least, employed as a porter at a Cambridge college.
The story illustrates two points. First, political conflict over trans rights and women’s rights is far from over, especially in the Labour Party. Second, people who say the wrong thing in this debate can put their livelihood at risk.
Mr Price last week resigned from Cambridge City Council. He had sat as a Labour councillor since 2010 and was once the council’s deputy leader.
He resigned rather than follow the Labour Group whip and vote for a motion that declared, among other things that:

Those are, of course, the holy words of trans orthodoxy, a catechism that cannot be questioned despite the countless questions it raises. (Here’s a starter for ten: if trans women are women, what does the word ‘women’ mean?)
Mr Price quit because, he said, he could not accept the unquestioning, uncritical adoption of those words. He noted that for some people, those words have highly troubling implications.
Resigning, he said:

And that might have been the end of the story, seeing Mr Price ending his career as an interesting example of a politician putting principle before position or the party line, with a fairly measured contribution to a debate that too many politicians are still wary to enter.

There’s something both distasteful and revealing about students threatening the livelihood of a man employed to serve them because he refuses to share their opinions
If that was the end of it, Mr Price’s tale might prove only that Labour has some way to go before it reaches a settled, unified stance on this issue. There are good reasons that Keir Starmer has been trying to take a ‘listen to both sides’ position on the trans debate; one of those reasons is that his party is seriously split on the issue.
But that is not the end of Mr Price’s story. For Mr Price is now facing the sort of ‘hostile response’ he spoke about – calls for his employer to dismiss him from his job, because of his thoughts on sex and gender and ultimately, because of his reluctance to say the holy words.
According to Varsity, a student paper, the Union of Clare Students has condemned him and demanded the college authorities act against him. By discussing issues of policy and law at a council meeting, Mr Price had jeopardised the ‘safety’ of the college’s trans and non-binary students, the union suggested in a statement.
Varsity further quotes one Clare student as saying Price is ‘unfit both to hold public office and to be in a position of responsibility over students.’
Now, I didn’t go to Oxbridge and I’m not much for Marxist analysis of society as a class struggle. But I know enough about both to suggest that there’s something both distasteful and revealing about a bunch of Cambridge undergraduates threatening the livelihood of a man employed to serve them because he refuses to share their opinions and adopt their language.
There’s been a lot of talk in recent years about free speech on campus being under threat, and a lot of that talk has been overblown, based on nothing more than stupid self-important students doing what stupid, self-important students have always done and disinviting or banning people from speaking at events that no reasonable person would ever want to attend anyway.
But some of the concerns about universities and free inquiry are justified: just ask Professor Selina Todd, an Oxford historian who needed bodyguards because some people objected to her research on sex and gender in history.
And now it appears that the refusal to permit dissent or debate about sex and gender could cost a man his job at a university. I hope not, and not just for the sake of Kevin Price.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-trans-debate-could-cost-this-cambridge-porter-his-job#
It really worries me what gender ideology is doing to universities. Once freedom of speech/thought is removed for one area it’s a slippery slope to it being gone full stop.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
That is just frightening. Does anyone remember the golden years of when universities actually taught critical thinking? Now, they just seem to be a breeding ground for the spoilt, privileged wokerati

• Heart
Reactions: 20
It really worries me what gender ideology is doing to universities. Once freedom of speech/thought is removed for one area it’s a slippery slope to it being gone full stop.
Terrifying. Truly. Such a personal vendetta against the man for sticking to his opinion.

Reactions: 6
And by spoilt students who've probably never worked a day in their life. Fully aware not all students are spoilt and some work but it's usually privileged ones who are most vocal in this

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
And by spoilt students who've probably never worked a day in their life. Fully aware not app students are spoilt and some work but it's usually privileged ones who are most vocal in this
When I was an academic people used to say Oxbridge were left wing think tanks and I used to scoff, but they are certainly rapidly becoming woke think tanks for sure. A trend at all unis I’m sure, but noticeably Oxbridge where privilege is more rife.

Thing is these students go on to influence laws. I can see laws changing in the next 5 years until it will actually be illegal to refer to yourself as a woman. We can't have people having to step down from positions for their safety because people campaign for their punishment because they disgree with their ideology.

Having not long left university, on my course there were very little critical thinking going on. In my seminars, the students just all sat there in silence, never did the reading, obviously didn't want to be there. More fool me for thinking going to university would be fun and my seminars would be all engaging debates and discussions for learning. I've no idea what half of them were doing there. By year three, the majority of my classmates still couldn't stand in front of the class to deliver presentations without spending the entire 10 minutes looking at a piece of paper, reading off their phone or speaking loudly enough for people to hear, mumbling away and unprepared. Universities are not preparing young people for the workplace, just taking their £9250 a year. Even my lecturers weren't engaged as they recycled content most lectures - aside from the lecturers who wasted at least 10/20 minutes moaning about their pensions, telling us not to turn up to class to support strike action etc. I was colossally dissapointed by university. And this was a top 15 uni.

The political students were as you'd expect, little hive minds. I went along to both a lib-dem society taster session and the labour society one in freshers and scarpered out of them never wanting to be involved in students politics!! I can totally understand the mindset behind these students taking this action because I've seen it at my university.
I agree with this however I'd like to just add a small defence here for lecturers from the inside view - in my opinion, this is not actually their fault. The rising of fees has contributed massively to the consumerism of education and unfortunately students these days (maybe not yourself) are viewing education more as a service and a product they pay for. I was teaching before the 9k fees came in and afterwards, and there is a marked change in how students behave and respond to education. With the higher fees, rightly or wrongly, students feel like for that price they are paying for a degree - not necessarily the quality of their actual education. There are fewer students failing, more grades being overturned, etc. I very much feel that lecturers are facing huge downward pressure from universities themselves and upper management who now face a raft of complaints because of that cost. You get from university what you put in. And unless you're doing a vocational course I would argue it's not actually your lecturers' job to make you workplace ready - if you're studying History for example, you will get some transferable skills from that, sure, but if you don't engage, you don't work on your presentation skills yourself, you deliberately don't take part in formative work to get valuable feedback, I'm not sure it's your teaching staff's responsibility to force you to do that. By university you are an adult, lecturers cannot force you to do anything and neither can they spoonfeed you.

This is not really directed at you because you sound like a student who is engaged and willing to learn - the kind who is a pleasure to teach, by all accounts - but unfortunately in my experience this is increasingly rare these days. And teaching has changed so much that this is one of the reasons I chose to leave academia, ultimately. It is soul destroying trying to teach disengaged students the subject you love and are passionate about because they think they're paying 9k a year to get a piece of paper that says '2.1'

• Heart
Reactions: 17

Dear God, when will this crap end? Students at Cambridge baying for blood. I thought Cambridge was meant to attract the brightest and brainiest? Seems these days Cambridge is attracting the most easily lead and the brainless.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Am unable to copy from the article but its worth a read.
Edit - sorry I didn't realise that had already been posted

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.