J. K. Rowling #3 JK and the Prisoner of Gender Stereotypes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The pronouns thing is utterly ridiculous. I thought it was to avoid "misgendering" a trans person, fine, that serves a purpose. But now the whole world is being asked to play along?
Honestly I see more people who aren’t trans stating their pronouns in their social media bio than actual trans people. Woke nonsense, I wouldn’t be caught dead stating my pronouns on social media or in any setting.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
The pronouns thing is utterly ridiculous. I thought it was to avoid "misgendering" a trans person, fine, that serves a purpose. But now the whole world is being asked to play along?
I think it's pretty backwards. I always remember my parents saying "don't say he/she use their name it's rude!" (Have I imagined this?!)

Also it doesn't make sense in my career. If you're emailing me without knowing me it's polite to call me by my professional title that I studied many years at university for. Honestly if we're going to be pedantic assholes I'll just insist everyone refers to me by title 😂!

Reactions: 16
Honestly I see more people who aren’t trans stating their pronouns in their social media bio than actual trans people. Woke nonsense, I wouldn’t be caught dead stating my pronouns on social media or in any setting.
Seeing a pronoun in the bio from a non trans person is a sure fire sign they're a pain in the ass

I think it's pretty backwards. I always remember my parents saying "don't say he/she use their name it's rude!" (Have I imagined this?!)

Also it doesn't make sense in my career. If you're emailing me without knowing me it's polite to call me by my professional title that I studied many years at university for. Honestly if we're going to be pedantic assholes I'll just insist everyone refers to me by title 😂!
As my Mum used to say to me, who's she, the cats mother!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
This thread is good for a laugh

28 pages and I bet not once do they ever cite a transphobic quote from JK. I loved this particular post

"TERF ideology is incredibly racist, ableist, classist, and ironically, misogynistic. It almost exclusively seeks to establish womanhood as ordained by the typical imagery associated with middle/upper class feminine white women."
What a load of crap. Obviously written by someone who dislikes white women - in other words someone with an agenda and huge chip on their shoulders 😡 WTF has racism got to do with this?

Reactions: 7
John Cleese is going on loose women tomorrow. I don’t watch but I might tune in for that. LW are asking for questions, just throwing it out there.

Reactions: 2
What a load of crap. Obviously written by someone who dislikes white women - in other words someone with an agenda and huge chip on their shoulders 😡 WTF has racism got to
do with this?
Yes exactly! Jk rowling as white supremacist! :unsure:.Yet its starting to be seen as a legitimate worldview (even if it isn't true).Identity politics just seems to trample the individual underfoot. The only thing that seems to matter is consensus of opinion.

Attachments

Reactions: 1
It's started where I work, a lot of people have voluntarily put it in theirs but we haven't been asked yet. We have to adhere to certain font, colour size for our sigs for corporate identity etc. If I do one day get asked I will go down the 'it's harmful and triggering' route as suggested in this thread 👍

Reactions: 11
Surely no company can enforce anyone putting pronouns in their signature? If they even try to go down a disciplinary route for refusal to partake there'll be uproar

Reactions: 9
It's started where I work, a lot of people have voluntarily put it in theirs but we haven't been asked yet. We have to adhere to certain font, colour size for our sigs for corporate identity etc. If I do one day get asked I will go down the 'it's harmful and triggering' route as suggested in this thread 👍
there's an identity out there for people who don't identify with pronouns in general, not nb lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
you know, i find it interesting how it's easily accepted in canada and to a lesser degree the states, but there seems to be a greater debate in the uk

Reactions: 2
See it's way into the mail!
The ad needed calling out I guess, though I suppose the Mail just want clicks. The comment section is normally dire but there are some common sense comments on this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
you know, i find it interesting how it's easily accepted in canada and to a lesser degree the states, but there seems to be a greater debate in the uk
Canada and Ireland have gone off the scale when it comes to this and I think in part it’s to show the world that they’re “not like our neighbours” (the US and the UK respectively). Maybe the problem in America is the division of the states with each its own guidelines (and probably feeds into the same argument, some states not wanting to be like their neighbours).

The ad needed calling out I guess, though I suppose the Mail just want clicks. The comment section is normally dire but there are some common sense comments on this one.
These days I am more likely to say “sorry for the Guardian link” rather than the DM (not really, as I don’t post links from either tbh but the difference of reporting on this issue between the two is glaringly obvious).

Reactions: 6
Canada and Ireland have gone off the scale when it comes to this and I think in part it’s to show the world that they’re “not like our neighbours” (the US and the UK respectively). Maybe the problem in America is the division of the states with each its own guidelines (and probably feeds into the same argument, some states not wanting to be like their neighbours).

These days I am more likely to say “sorry for the Guardian link” rather than the DM (not really, as I don’t post links from either tbh but the difference of reporting on this issue between the two is glaringly obvious).

that's an interesting take, probably true. I know canadians love to tit on americains for various reasons and it comes off at times like feeling superior to them, also they have an overly PC mentality of not using any critical thought and not allowing polite discourse when it comes to sensitive topics, contrary to Americans and it seems the whole of Europe perhaps, it's as if cancel culture woke mob was a country. Was a bit surprised in regards to Ireland though, given the fact that it's a catholic country, and it took them forever to make abortion legal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.