IVF and Fertility Treatments

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m looking to start ivf privately next year. I’m doing a lot of research for the best clinics, but has anyone got any recommendations for the sussex/surrey area?

I’m looking to start ivf privately next year. I’m doing a lot of research for the best clinics, but has anyone got any recommendations for the sussex/surrey area?
Depending where you’re based if you’re happy to/close enough to travel to Wimbledon, I recommend abc ivf! They have a weekly webinar which was so informative and really put us at ease. They’re relatively cheap too (compared to others I was looking at, I’m based on like the border of Surrey/Hampshire)

https://www.abcivf.co.uk/

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Hi everyone, hope everyone’s ok! I haven’t posted for ages in any TTC group, but officially had the referral for ‘fertility investigations’ whatever that entails 🙈 I feel happy that it’s been sent off, but also worried and nervous about everything that’s going to happen now. This whole thing is honestly so stressful! I’m worried things will be painful, I even find smears uncomfortable.

If I eventually ever get pregnant and have a baby I’m never doing it again 🤪

• Heart
Reactions: 2
You are so right when you say it’s difficult to know what to do and it’s such an awkward question to bring up in an IVF forum. I’ve found I can’t really ask in any breast feeding groups either as they don’t have the IVF experience so we kind of fall through a gap as we don’t want to upset anybody.

My period’s returned to normal (ish) by 6months pp. I think I will go unmedicated as I really do enjoy feeding my daughter and we both waited so long to be mums that we shouldn’t have to give up unless we feel ready to do so.

Thank you again for your reply as it has made me feel much less alone in this crazy IVF journey. Sending lots of baby dust to you ❤
Hope you’re getting on ok if you decided to proceed with your FET, sending lots of baby dust too. I’m hoping to book in for an unmedicated FET in the next month or so if they have space at my clinic. Even private we might not always get in first go :confused:

Hope you’re getting on ok if you decided to proceed with your FET, sending lots of baby dust too. I’m hoping to book in for an unmedicated FET in the next month or so if they have space at my clinic. Even private we might not always get in first go :confused:
That’s very exciting! It’s understandable it can take a month or two to get in but omg it’s frustrating as hell. I was quite shocked when I was told my clinic only do two unmedicated a week.

I’m definitely going to proceed but unfortunately I’ll have to give up bf as the clinic don’t want me to take progesterone if I’m still doing it. I’m upset about that as the clinic had told me back in February that I could continue if I went unmedicated.

It’s going to take a little while to get to my FET I think. I’m hoping by November or December I should have had mine.

That’s very exciting! It’s understandable it can take a month or two to get in but omg it’s frustrating as hell. I was quite shocked when I was told my clinic only do two unmedicated a week.

I’m definitely going to proceed but unfortunately I’ll have to give up bf as the clinic don’t want me to take progesterone if I’m still doing it. I’m upset about that as the clinic had told me back in February that I could continue if I went unmedicated.

It’s going to take a little while to get to my FET I think. I’m hoping by November or December I should have had mine.
Oh no that’s a shame! They’ve not mentioned to me, what’s the reason for it? Does it affect milk supply? The nurse said to me they offer if for 2 weeks for unmedicated (I had cyclogest pessaries for my last FET) but they’re offering the injections now, I told her I was breastfeeding. I’ll ask again when they next phone :(

Oh no that’s a shame! They’ve not mentioned to me, what’s the reason for it? Does it affect milk supply? The nurse said to me they offer if for 2 weeks for unmedicated (I had cyclogest pessaries for my last FET) but they’re offering the injections now, I told her I was breastfeeding. I’ll ask again when they next phone :(
Tbh I’m not 100% sure. I think it’s more that unsafe amounts of progesterone could get passed through the milk. The nurse I spoken to just to get some details clarified before I paid up went and spoke with the consultant. She told us that they wouldn’t want me to take progesterone at all whilst bf as I shouldn’t be taking anything. If I was to insist on taking it the consultant would get to make the final decision after having a consultation with me.

I kind of felt blindsided after that phone call and a bit numb.The head nurse who did my consultation earlier in the year said it would be fine even when I asked for the injections rather than the pessaries.

I would double check with your clinic, I have no idea if my clinic are incredibly strict or if this is the norm. I could honestly cry. If I was even five years younger I’d wait a bit longer but I don’t have the luxury of waiting much longer due to my age.

Tbh I’m not 100% sure. I think it’s more that unsafe amounts of progesterone could get passed through the milk. The nurse I spoken to just to get some details clarified before I paid up went and spoke with the consultant. She told us that they wouldn’t want me to take progesterone at all whilst bf as I shouldn’t be taking anything. If I was to insist on taking it the consultant would get to make the final decision after having a consultation with me.

I kind of felt blindsided after that phone call and a bit numb.The head nurse who did my consultation earlier in the year said it would be fine even when I asked for the injections rather than the pessaries.

I would double check with your clinic, I have no idea if my clinic are incredibly strict or if this is the norm. I could honestly cry. If I was even five years younger I’d wait a bit longer but I don’t have the luxury of waiting much longer due to my age.
That’s a shame, I wonder why - I’ll maybe query it the next time I speak to my clinic as I wouldn't like it to be overlooked. I’ll let you know what they say. I guess we don’t have to take it for a natural FET as it was more a choice for me before but if it didn’t work I’d question “what if” as I was given 2 weeks of cyclogest before and will never know if that helped or not.

I had a look at articles after your message and although progesterone can pass into breastmilk it apparently isn’t harmful as isn’t broken down well orally. Maybe they’re just being extra cautious as cyclogest says do not take if breastfeeding on the label. Hmm it’s got me thinking now all the same. Baby will be 11 months at my next period and it’s a big IF if I even get in that cycle. I’d love to feed longer until he natural weans down but if we get to 12 months I’ll be happy. I hope you get in soon and it all falls into place for you 🤞🏼♥

Edited to add I’ve just seen your previous posts - I think we’re at the same clinic!

Last edited:
That’s a shame, I wonder why - I’ll maybe query it the next time I speak to my clinic as I wouldn't like it to be overlooked. I’ll let you know what they say. I guess we don’t have to take it for a natural FET as it was more a choice for me before but if it didn’t work I’d question “what if” as I was given 2 weeks of cyclogest before and will never know if that helped or not.

I had a look at articles after your message and although progesterone can pass into breastmilk it apparently isn’t harmful as isn’t broken down well orally. Maybe they’re just being extra cautious as cyclogest says do not take if breastfeeding on the label. Hmm it’s got me thinking now all the same. Baby will be 11 months at my next period and it’s a big IF if I even get in that cycle. I’d love to feed longer until he natural weans down but if we get to 12 months I’ll be happy. I hope you get in soon and it all falls into place for you 🤞🏼♥

Edited to add I’ve just seen your previous posts - I think we’re at the same clinic!
Haha what are the chances! I think it’s a great clinic. The pictures in the waiting room always drove me nuts though😂 They always seemed to be crooked and it taken me all my strength to not get up and straighten them.

I seen that about progesterone being safe and honestly didn’t think it would be a problem so was completely blind sided when the nurse did the call back to answer my questions. I genuinely thought I’d just be calling the private line to pay for my FET after I’d had a couple of things clarified.

I had a miscarriage before so I really wanted the progesterone so I could, in my head, feel like I’d done everything.

12 months is an amazing achievement in breastfeeding! Mines is still a wee milk monster and even though I’m trying to reduce the milk feeds she will have days where she just needs more. It’s going to take a wee while
I think. She uses me for comfort and won’t take a dummy.

I feel really silly as I thought the FET would be the “easiest” part of my IVF journey but my god this has been stressful.

Haha what are the chances! I think it’s a great clinic. The pictures in the waiting room always drove me nuts though😂 They always seemed to be crooked and it taken me all my strength to not get up and straighten them.

I seen that about progesterone being safe and honestly didn’t think it would be a problem so was completely blind sided when the nurse did the call back to answer my questions. I genuinely thought I’d just be calling the private line to pay for my FET after I’d had a couple of things clarified.

I had a miscarriage before so I really wanted the progesterone so I could, in my head, feel like I’d done everything.

12 months is an amazing achievement in breastfeeding! Mines is still a wee milk monster and even though I’m trying to reduce the milk feeds she will have days where she just needs more. It’s going to take a wee while
I think. She uses me for comfort and won’t take a dummy.

I feel really silly as I thought the FET would be the “easiest” part of my IVF journey but my god this has been stressful.
The pictures 😂 I did wonder when you said they only do 2 unmedicated a week and i thought oh so does mine wonder if it’s the same place 😂 How old is your wee one if you don’t mind me asking? My boy was the exact same but I’d say he’s weaned down naturally a bit from about 8 months. He never had a dummy either and I was happy for me to be his comfort as it’s natural and as you say we waited so long. With being on solids now and approaching a year he’s just not wanting milk the same. Only for naps/bedtime.

Yes I can’t fault the clinic although I see plenty have their complaints but we’ve been ok thankfully. Was that at the initial consultation before you’ve paid the full thing where they highlighted the progesterone thing, if you don’t mind me asking? I had that appt a few weeks and then the mini screen. Just wondering if I should anticipate any spanners in the works further down the line, despite me paying in full now. It’s so hard, I’m sorry they’ve given you different information - sometimes I think there it depends what nurse you get! I’ve been reading that any form of progesterone contraceptives are all fine with breastfeeding, so I wonder what their rationale is.

The pictures 😂 I did wonder when you said they only do 2 unmedicated a week and i thought oh so does mine wonder if it’s the same place 😂 How old is your wee one if you don’t mind me asking? My boy was the exact same but I’d say he’s weaned down naturally a bit from about 8 months. He never had a dummy either and I was happy for me to be his comfort as it’s natural and as you say we waited so long. With being on solids now and approaching a year he’s just not wanting milk the same. Only for naps/bedtime.

Yes I can’t fault the clinic although I see plenty have their complaints but we’ve been ok thankfully. Was that at the initial consultation before you’ve paid the full thing where they highlighted the progesterone thing, if you don’t mind me asking? I had that appt a few weeks and then the mini screen. Just wondering if I should anticipate any spanners in the works further down the line, despite me paying in full now. It’s so hard, I’m sorry they’ve given you different information - sometimes I think there it depends what nurse you get! I’ve been reading that any form of progesterone contraceptives are all fine with breastfeeding, so I wonder what their rationale is.
Haha report back if they have been straightened up!

My little girl is 18 months, the problem we have is she has been fed to sleep so I’m struggling to break that 😂 She has naturally reduced her feeds but since it was warm a few weeks back she has increased her feeds. I love that I’m her comfort but I’d say it is making weaning more difficult. If I was even five years younger I’d just let her come off herself in a few months but I can’t leave it much longer at my age as I’d love for her to have a sibling.

it’s a strange feeling this isn’t it? There really isn’t even any information on our situation. Even the clinics themselves are muddled up.

The initial consultation to discuss a sibling round there was not one issue of continue breastfeeding brought up. It wasn’t until I was looking for extra information that they told me that I couldn’t take the progesterone. I wanted to pay my bill after my questions had been answered but obviously that hasn’t happened yet.

It did seem that if I was to REALLY push they might relent and let me take it but as you say everything I’ve seen online said it was fine to do whilst still feeding. This is my only shot at a sibling and I really don’t want to bugger it up as I really don’t want to go through another full round of IVF.

Haha report back if they have been straightened up!

My little girl is 18 months, the problem we have is she has been fed to sleep so I’m struggling to break that 😂 She has naturally reduced her feeds but since it was warm a few weeks back she has increased her feeds. I love that I’m her comfort but I’d say it is making weaning more difficult. If I was even five years younger I’d just let her come off herself in a few months but I can’t leave it much longer at my age as I’d love for her to have a sibling.

it’s a strange feeling this isn’t it? There really isn’t even any information on our situation. Even the clinics themselves are muddled up.

The initial consultation to discuss a sibling round there was not one issue of continue breastfeeding brought up. It wasn’t until I was looking for extra information that they told me that I couldn’t take the progesterone. I wanted to pay my bill after my questions had been answered but obviously that hasn’t happened yet.

It did seem that if I was to REALLY push they might relent and let me take it but as you say everything I’ve seen online said it was fine to do whilst still feeding. This is my only shot at a sibling and I really don’t want to bugger it up as I really don’t want to go through another full round of IVF.
18 months is an amazing achievement, well done! The feeding to sleep is a magic power and likewise I don’t want to loose that.

I’ve been down a few rabbit holes with this. There is a really good private FB page “Breastfeeding mums undergoing fertility treatment/IVF” I was recommended - I’ve joined today and it has so much info and references. The admins are very helpful. There’s a bit of reading when you join but I’d recommend it. I’ve learned not only is progesterone not harmful but you can actually do a medicated FET too while breastfeeding. A lot of members have done both, on high dose cyclogest etc with no issues. The main factor is down to whether clinics themselves allows it and some are more breastfeeding friendly than others. The FB page has also complied a list of these, not sure how ours sits as couldn’t see it on the list. However there are also sample letters/statements provided on the page on how you can put it to your consultant etc and highlight to them there’s a lack of evidence.

The other possible option after going through the page’s resources, making an informed choice knowing there would be no risk with medications etc, is you can tell the clinic you’ve already weaned! The FB group might be something you’d be interested in looking at anyway, as you say we fall into a grey category. Hope it helps if you manage to have a look ♥

18 months is an amazing achievement, well done! The feeding to sleep is a magic power and likewise I don’t want to loose that.

I’ve been down a few rabbit holes with this. There is a really good private FB page “Breastfeeding mums undergoing fertility treatment/IVF” I was recommended - I’ve joined today and it has so much info and references. The admins are very helpful. There’s a bit of reading when you join but I’d recommend it. I’ve learned not only is progesterone not harmful but you can actually do a medicated FET too while breastfeeding. A lot of members have done both, on high dose cyclogest etc with no issues. The main factor is down to whether clinics themselves allows it and some are more breastfeeding friendly than others. The FB page has also complied a list of these, not sure how ours sits as couldn’t see it on the list. However there are also sample letters/statements provided on the page on how you can put it to your consultant etc and highlight to them there’s a lack of evidence.

The other possible option after going through the page’s resources, making an informed choice knowing there would be no risk with medications etc, is you can tell the clinic you’ve already weaned! The FB group might be something you’d be interested in looking at anyway, as you say we fall into a grey category. Hope it helps if you manage to have a look ♥
Thanks for this! I’ll definitely be looking into this.

I was told on two phone calls that medicated was most definitely a no no whilst still breastfeeding as they could not guarantee that the milk would be safe or that the medication could create further issues down the line with the breastfed child.

It amazes me that information varies so much between different clinics. I could understand if you were travelling to say Poland etc to have treatment but just from around the UK is pretty crazy.

Thanks for this! I’ll definitely be looking into this.

I was told on two phone calls that medicated was most definitely a no no whilst still breastfeeding as they could not guarantee that the milk would be safe or that the medication could create further issues down the line with the breastfed child.

It amazes me that information varies so much between different clinics. I could understand if you were travelling to say Poland etc to have treatment but just from around the UK is pretty crazy.
Exactly there’s no evidence at all, you can also do a full fresh cycle! There’s only 3 meds that are contraindicated and it’s DHEA, tamoxifen and letrozole.

Exactly there’s no evidence at all, you can also do a full fresh cycle! There’s only 3 meds that are contraindicated and it’s DHEA, tamoxifen and letrozole.
It’s really annoying me how all this information conflicts with GRI. I’m going to have a good look at that Facebook page this week. Let me know how you get on with the clinic, keep me posted on the squinty butterfly pictures 😂

• Heart
I’ve got my day 10 scan next week ahead of my FET, I am so emotional right now. Excited and apprehensive!

• Heart
I’ve got my day 10 scan next week ahead of my FET, I am so emotional right now. Excited and apprehensive!
All the very best of luck, would transfer be just after this then? I’ve never had a medicated FET so unfamiliar with the appointments. 😊
I’ve tried to book for unmedicated this month but my clinic was full, hopefully next month 🤞🏼

All the very best of luck, would transfer be just after this then? I’ve never had a medicated FET so unfamiliar with the appointments. 😊
I’ve tried to book for unmedicated this month but my clinic was full, hopefully next month 🤞🏼
Thank you 🥰
Yeah my scan is on Friday and then I’ll have to start taking the pessaries (3 a day 🥴) then they said the transfer will be end of august start of September so potentially a week or two after!
Oh I have everything crossed for you that you’re able to get booked in next month! 🤞🏼
---
Also did anyone find when they were going through treatment that their taste buds changed? The whole time pre-egg collection when I was having the injections I couldn’t stand the taste of tea. It went back to normal and now I’ve started taking estradiol tablets and tea tastes disgusting again ☹

Last edited:
---
Also did anyone find when they were going through treatment that their taste buds changed? The whole time pre-egg collection when I was having the injections I couldn’t stand the taste of tea. It went back to normal and now I’ve started taking estradiol tablets and tea tastes disgusting again ☹
I totally loose my appetite during stimulation! Chicken made me feel physically sick last time and the nurses kept telling me to up my bloody protein. I definitely didn’t go off tea though it’s all I wanted and knowing I couldn’t have too much made me want it even more 🥲