It's A Sin - Channel 4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I just didn't realise how quickly people could decline once they had it. And that it caused dementia.

I also just can't get out of my head how scared they must have been. Dying alone, in "shame", with your mind coming and going.

• Sad
Reactions: 17
My first boyfriend at 16 got a job in a Westend Show, we were from up North, this was 1987. He was only a small part and understudy/swing for a few a the lead roles. The lead role he was covering for died of Aids. It was as terrifying as the programme. Nobody knew. My boyfriend was told he'd have to wear the same costume. He said he wanted a new one. But my bf was an innocent kid from up North. They made him a new one. But the programme represented that era amazingling. I had to go with my 3 best gay friends for HIV/AIDS tests and results. It was terrifying being sexually active. We went to Heaven nightclub. Where Terrence Higgins died.
The programme was factually correct. Brilliant writing from Russell T Davies (met him, great guy)again, and the cast who were AMAZING!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Utterly brilliant. I had seen others say they were in tears and their hearts were hurting. I got to nearly the end and thought it was sad but I wasn't crying or anywhere near. I thought maybe I was just an emotional rock. Then the tears came as Jill sat with Marcus and I ended up crying for all those poor people dying alone and in shame. I rarely cry at TV shows so to get me to tears, they've written one hell of a show.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
I don't think I've ever cried at a TV show (except for briefly tearing up at the end of me before you) but by the end I was in tears. It was so so well written and all the actors were amazing. Just kept thinking about all the life they had left to live

Reactions: 6
I just didn't realise how quickly people could decline once they had it. And that it caused dementia.
I thought it was a good comparison between when Colin died to when Ritchie did. Colin had months as presumably there wasn't a huge range of treatments and it was just managing the symptoms whereas there was several years with Ritchie where he was on tablets, had got ill then improved again so he had that bit more time. Still nowhere near enough but a far improved outcome than Colin had.

I hadn't realised about the dementia either. That was particularly cruel especially when Colin was confused and didn't know why he was locked in the ward.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
O
On Apple Music and Spotify smash hits have made a playlist!

A week on and I’m still thinking about it.

I was tellin a friend about it and how upsetting it was seein these boys dieing alone and she said well what about now with covid! Least now they have the doctors n nurses caring for them and can have contact with family. These poor boys were left alone and locked away especially at that start.! I was wasting my time tryin to explain the difference to her.
I think there are some differences. Like you say, now they can have contact with family because technology is so much more advanced and hopefully there is also more awareness of the importance of facilitating that - I saw footage from a busy London hospital ward where a member of staff was going around to patients' beds with an Ipad so they could speak to loved ones. Secondly, as tit as it is, with COVID it's based on the science of how the disease works. We know that close social interactions transmit the disease. With HIV it was based on fear and ignorance.

I do hope we have learnt some lessons about the importance of dignity and humanity from the Aids crisis.

Reactions: 14
O

I think there are some differences. Like you say, now they can have contact with family because technology is so much more advanced and hopefully there is also more awareness of the importance of facilitating that - I saw footage from a busy London hospital ward where a member of staff was going around to patients' beds with an Ipad so they could speak to loved ones. Secondly, as tit as it is, with COVID it's based on the science of how the disease works. We know that close social interactions transmit the disease. With HIV it was based on fear and ignorance.

I do hope we have learnt some lessons about the importance of dignity and humanity from the Aids crisis.
As a 1983 baby I didn’t know anything about it,
It was just there. I’ve learnt so much from this show. I dont remember anything at school about it. It’s never come up in conversation as I don’t know many gay people, but my friends son who is gay was going out with someone who was hiv n when she told me I wasn’t shocked it seemed normal, not sure if that’s how I was meant to feel.

Reactions: 6
I was tellin a friend about it and how upsetting it was seein these boys dieing alone and she said well what about now with covid! Least now they have the doctors n nurses caring for them and can have contact with family. These poor boys were left alone and locked away especially at that start.! I was wasting my time tryin to explain the difference to her.
Wow.
Does your friend know anyone who has been disowned by their family because they are suffering from Covid?
Are people with Covid being shunned by large tracts and society and being made to feel ashamed of who they are?
Don't think so!
People are dying alone in hospital of Covid, yes, but not for the same reasons as men were left to die alone of AIDS in the 1980's.
There is no comparison.

Reactions: 16
Wow.
Does your friend know anyone who has been disowned by their family because they are suffering from Covid?
Are people with Covid being shunned by large tracts and society and being made to feel ashamed of who they are?
Don't think so!
People are dying alone in hospital of Covid, yes, but not for the same reasons as men were left to die alone of AIDS in the 1980's.
There is no comparison.
Exactly! She is in her early 20s so they know best of Course! It was a argument I wasn’t expecting I’m hoping I might of educated her a bit.
No comparison at all. I had no idea what happened in the 80s and I’m so glad I know and feel I’ve learnt so much but feel I can learn more.

So many people are talking about it, which is so good. More eyes need to be opened.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Exactly! She is in her early 20s so they know best of Course! It was a argument I wasn’t expecting I’m hoping I might of educated her a bit.
No comparison at all. I had no idea what happened in the 80s and I’m so glad I know and feel I’ve learnt so much but feel I can learn more.

So many people are talking about it, which is so good. More eyes need to be opened.
There's a huge amount of articles being written about the comparisons with HIV and COVID. Just one of them here:

The thing that is similar is the amount of deniers re HIV and COVID. Look at Richie's speech, he thought it was all a load of bollocks and so did a lot of his peers. It took someone they knew being infected before they started to believe it, even though people were dying around them.

One other thing I wasn't aware of was the amount of remedies people took to try to either get rid of HIV or stop them catching it. Battery acid for duck's sake! I have just re-watched Pose and the same thing is shown there. Pray Tell tries a butter diet because apparently it could make you tit the virus out of you. Just shows, Trump and his drinking of bleach etc wasn't that weird!

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
There's a huge amount of articles being written about the comparisons with HIV and COVID. Just one of them here:

The thing that is similar is the amount of deniers re HIV and COVID. Look at Richie's speech, he thought it was all a load of bollocks and so did a lot of his peers. It took someone they knew being infected before they started to believe it, even though people were dying around them.

One other thing I wasn't aware of was the amount of remedies people took to try to either get rid of HIV or stop them catching it. Battery acid for duck's sake! I have just re-watched Pose and the same thing is shown there. Pray Tell tries a butter diet because apparently it could make you tit the virus out of you. Just shows, Trump and his drinking of bleach etc wasn't that weird!
Thank you I will have a read.
It’s crazy when you think about it, battery acid is more deadly but in that moment you’d do anything. When he was ringin the helpline and asking for advise, those poor call handlers too.

Reactions: 4
We binged 3 episodes Friday and the last 2 Saturday. I was a complete mess throughout. I lost my uncle in 1994 to AIDS so hit home for me as I visited him during his last few weeks. Nothing prepares you to see someone dying of this. I was so engrossed with the show emotionally I had to watch it again and finished watching it for a second time last night. I loved the characters, felt I knew them but then I guess I spent the 90’s hanging out in gay clubs in Bournemouth and London (I’m a straight girl). I had missed quite a bit the first time around where I was caught up in the emotion and thinking back to my uncle. I managed to keep it together until the last episode. Just to add I was 10 when the virus was first reported and remember watching the government‘s public information broadcast.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I’m gonna watch it tonight...with different eyes. On Instagram maybe Facebook they do a after hours interview after the show

I’m nearly at the end of the last episode and omg. I knew it was bad but I feel so sorry for all of them. Colins mum was a sweet heart, but Ritchie’s mum no, awful. It’s mad how quickly the medical advances happened though the early part of the series the hospitals and everything looked like they were stuck in the 50s even the treatments methods. Neil Patrick Harris was amazing as ever. Wanted to shake them all in the first couple of episodes before Colin went and tell them to listen to Jill. Also Donald definitely knew... just saying

I’m nearly at the end of the last episode and omg. I knew it was bad but didn’t realise how bad, I feel so sorry for all of them and that it actually was probably worse I feel so sorry for all people that had to cope with this at the time. Colins mum was a sweet heart, but Ritchie’s mum no, awful. It’s mad how quickly the medical advances happened though the early part of the series the hospitals and everything looked like they were stuck in the 50s even the treatments methods. Neil Patrick Harris was amazing as ever. Wanted to shake them all in the first couple of episodes before Colin went and tell them to listen to Jill. Also Donald definitely knew... just saying

edit for clarification

Reactions: 4
I'm tempted to rewatch this weekend. Although I need the OH distracted for 5 hours so there can be tears and snot galore, and i can have a proper cry.

Reactions: 2
I hope this is ok, would like to recommend a really good book related to this series. “All the young men“ by Ruth Coker Burks is the true story of an American lady who made it her mission to care for the dying and give them comfort. She also used her family burial plot to lay to rest the men’s ashes if no one claimed them. A truly moving book.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I hope this is ok, would like to recommend a really good book related to this series. “All the young men“ by Ruth Coker Burks is the true story of an American lady who made it her mission to care for the dying and give them comfort. She also used her family burial plot to lay to rest the men’s ashes if no one claimed them. A truly moving book.
She was in Lorraine and seemed so lovely.

Reactions: 1