Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Bambix

What an incredible series. I binged watched it with my mum (who only usually watches the soaps) in one day. Albeit we went for a walk after episode 3 to have a breather. It really hit home with my mum, she turned 18 in 1981 and remembers how awful people were. My auntie on my dad’s side came out in the 80s and she said all four brothers cried. Not that they were ashamed but, worried due to the stigma. She also said, she remembers how some people wouldn’t walk past Monsall hospital, which is mentioned by the lawyer, as they thought they’d catch it. It just sounded like such a confusing and misinformed time. Still thinking about poor Colin, we both thought he’d be the first due to his innocence. So sad to think of all them men dying alone or being taken home to live in hiding.

Although, for how sad it is. The whole crew did such an incredible job of portraying the beautiful friendship between them all. It made me want to live in the Pink Palace and live life to the full. For how much sadness there is in the show, it was also filled with so many beautiful moments of friendship. The scene with them all near the end in the park was so poignant.

Just need to find a friend like Jill now.
I went to school behind monsall hospital. Early 90s and remember people calling it the aids place. Unfortunately we didn’t know any better because all the information given out was made to be scary

• Sad
Reactions: 1

Jaybtee

VIP Member
Im half way through episode 4 and I had to switch over. I can't handle knowing what's coming :(!

• Sad

sleepflowers

VIP Member
I love QAF. A lot more light hearted but serious moments too. Its RTD so excellent ❤ I was in one of the bars they filmed at in Canal St and was beside myself 😍
I watched QAF last week - I kind of enjoyed it but not as much as Cucumber or It's A Sin...I just found the majority of the characters really unlikeable? Like it was so hard to root for them at all. Not to mention the weird relationship with a schoolboy thing...I know it was a 'different time' but surely it wasn't that different!!

Molsdol

Chatty Member
Spoilers are easy enough find if you want and I'm glad I went into this spoiler free. Though have the hankies to the fore and there are some sucker punches.

MrsLucas

VIP Member
Ah I wish there could be more...it is just too bloody good!! I wish it could have been a series but then it wouldn’t have been the same would it?

KerChing

Chatty Member

Merpedy

VIP Member
I've just binged it and both me and Mr P were in bits. Amazing, funny, harrowing. I just loved it and by the end was crying real snotty tears.

I was so upset by the fact people just couldnt be who they wanted to be and were abandoned and forgotten when they really needed care and love. The scene where Jill took the man's hand in the hospital and he just looked at her 😭😭. I remember AIDS being scary and frightening and the hoo ha about how you might catch it. So much ignorance.
This reminds me of 120 bpm, they showed it on one of the Sky channels a couple of times.
Honestly might give it a watch, always enjoy a bit of a good cry

ClockworkDolly

VIP Member
I think the woman in the wheelchair was Colin's mum - didn't we see Colin helping her with walking once or twice - and the lady who got off the coach was Jill's mum, the black guy was her dad. The actresses do look a bit similar!
Yes, I knew the wheelchair lady was Colin's Mum, but it was the other lady (coach lady) who threw me slightly, as she hadn't been introduced as such. She was just suddenly there, off the coach and mingling with everybody else.

Idontknowwhatimdoing

Can I ask a silly question, and apologies if it’s been asked before. I’ve just watched for the second time and I was wondering about the scene in the beach with the school friend. Was the way Richie behaved in this scene a product of his illness or was it just him being desperate to engage with the friend? (Sorry not the best terminology) He was being overly graphic with the friend and although he’d been like this with is friends it just seemed a bit extreme. Similarly in E5 when he’s telling his mum what fun he had, was that oversharing due to his illness? You know like Colin in E3. Does anyone have any thoughts?

~vix~83~

VIP Member
I’m gonna watch it tonight...with different eyes. On Instagram maybe Facebook they do a after hours interview after the show

Fishyrod42

Finally watched all episodes. It was ok, but not as good as the hype suggested. It felt a bit forced in places, both the acting and the writing. I think Russell T Davies is good at comedy, but in general, I find his dramatic scenes a bit artificial. His writing is very one note, he always writes his young gay characters in the same way, I felt like I could have been watching Queer as Folk at times. I'm in the minority, but I wasn't as moved as I should have been. It also didn't look like the 80s in places, and it spanned 10 years but the characters never seemed to change or dress different.