It's A Sin - Channel 4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Best thing I’ve seen in a long while, I was in floods watching! Olly Alexander was fantastic!

I watched it all today and it is brilliant..upsetting but brilliant..

It reminds me of the This is England series, well acted and portrayed the issues of the time really well..
Yes!!!

Reactions: 3
It was so fantastic, I cried every episode and binged it twice in two days!

I knew I wanted to watch this, but maybe later at some point.
Had nothing to do, decided to watch the 1st episode to see how I like it and 5 hours and several tissues later I was through.

Next day, I decided to rewatch the 1st episode, because so many characters etc I didn't quite catch some things and 5 hours and a couple of tissues later I was through the whole thing again!!!!

Re-watching it was even better than 1st time around, I missed a few things and re-watching helped.

1st watch I cried every episode.
2nd watch I cried episodes 3+5.

Didn't know it was supposed to be 8 episodes, I'd love to know what those would've looked like.
It was strangely comforting to know that Jill is a real person and that she had a part in the show!

I still think about the show quite a bit.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
The stigma for my mum who is a lesbian in the 80s was awful we as children used to get teased and bullied. God knows what it was like for gay men let alone with hiv/aids! I binge watched it all tonight and loved it still sobbing now. La!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Also love to see a current day series. Where we see how things changed. Maybe one of the group did get HIV but a lot later and are living a good life with modern day treatments. And see how they coped with loosing so many friends .
RTD has said that there was another episode written that brought the story and characters right up to date, but that it was not funded.

Maybe it will get funded now that Eps 1-5 have been so well received.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
RTD has said that there was another episode written that brought the story and characters right up to date, but that it was not funded.

Maybe it will get funded now that Eps 1-5 have been so well received.
I thought it odd that there was just 5 episodes, usually there’s 6 to a series. Let’s hope we get to see the 6th as a special

It's also odd how thrillers, horror stuff and violence and killings are seen as en vogue in media (books, film, TV), but "chick lit" and rom coms are ridiculed and dramas about uncomfortable topics are avoided like the plague, but hey let's watch the latest gore fest and don't be a baby about it :rolleyes: Oh and action films are mega cool anyway... 🤦‍♀️
How many men would watch it if it was about lesbians? Just think about that...

Reactions: 10
Read an interview with Russell T Davies earlier and, as others have said, it was supposed to be 8 parts but C4 asked him to cut it. It was also turned down by C4, BBC and ITV at least once.

• Sad
  • Wow
Read an interview with Russell T Davies earlier and, as others have said, it was supposed to be 8 parts but C4 asked him to cut it. It was also turned down by C4, BBC and ITV at least once.
ITV and the BBC must be kicking themselves

• Wow
Reactions: 14
I definitely think we could have known some of the characters more in-depth 8 episodes would have been so much better! I don't know if anyone watched "I may destroy you" but that was 12 episodes!

Reactions: 4
ITV and the BBC must be kicking themselves
No way the BBC or ITV would have allowed some of the scenes in it, like football shirt boy going at it, or the Hooked On Classics rapid fire sequence, even today in the so called more liberal age. But I feel those scenes are part of what made it great, because they really showed the background to everything. I dare say the BBC might also have had issues with the portrayal of the tailor shop manager cutting a bit close to some of their past staff behaviours as well and that would also have put them off. C4 is really the only main channel I could see it working on.

Reactions: 9
That was a bit of a rollercoaster ride, just watched it in one go.

Now watching Cucumber also by russell t davies. Its about gay life in 21st century

Reactions: 1
Would be nice to see how the fared maybe 15 years later
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd want the story to be bang up to date. I'd like to see the same actors featured rather than different actors playing them 30 yrs later or trying to age them up as that never works successfully.

Tbh, I actually felt that it ended on the perfect note, I'm not certain I'd want it to go beyond that. But I do think it could easily have been 6-8 episodes - but with the same ending.

Reactions: 5
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd want the story to be bang up to date. I'd like to see the same actors featured rather than different actors playing them 30 yrs later or trying to age them up as that never works successfully.

Tbh, I actually felt that it ended on the perfect note, I'm not certain I'd want it to go beyond that. But I do think it could easily have been 6-8 episodes - but with the same ending.
Yep sometimes i think a flash forward ruins a series.

The best ones leave you wanting more!!

Reactions: 3
I didn’t realise there was a thread on this!
I just finished this series and honestly I’m wrecked!! I was at an all girls boarding school in the 80’s so anything about AIDS was what was in the news and those terrifying infomercials on TV.
Being almost 50 now and having a big circle of gay friends, some of whom were around the scene at that time or a bit younger; it’s just heartbreaking to know how they were treated and what they went through. And some still do literally die of shame - even in this day and age 😭
It’s a really important series I think. Brilliantly acted and written.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I'm so pleasantly surprised by what a massive hit this show is. I watched it all the night it came out after eagerly anticipating it. Laughed, cried, loved it but also found it gut wrenching. I did not expect it to be the type of show my mum is texting me about. Yes it's achingly sad, but moreso than that I think this show feels like liberation for all the gay men in this country who died alone, who died of shame, who died stigmatised and cast aside. Who were forgotton (not by the LGBTQ community but by society at large), until now. It feels like a massive celebration, as well as an education. The balance is just perfection. Russell T. Davies can be extremely hamfisted I find but what an achievement to write his best work ever at this stage in his career. He deserves a BAFTA next year and so does the young actress who played Jill, the exceptional Keeley Hawes and the multitalented Mr Olly Alexander.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Corrrr what a phenomenal series. I so so wish they’d allowed the 8 episodes, there was so much more they could have fleshed out. My main bug bare was Ash. Mostly because the actor is bloody beautiful. I needed more of him 😂 what was his story? where were his parents? I’d have liked them to focus some more on his relationship with Ritchie. It all seemed a bit rushed at the end that it transpired he loved Ritchie..

But otherwise, stella. The young, relatively unknown cast were so good.

Colin 😭😭😭

Reactions: 15
I watched this last week.
Oh my god did I love it.
Heartbreaking and funny. One of the best shows I've watched in recent years.
I've read through this thread, and I too was destroyed my Colin's death, and Ritchie's, but in a different way. His Mum kept Jill away, and then you think she's come around to letting them see each other, only to find out he died. Devastated me.
I've just started watching Cucumber, from people recommending it on here, I'm on the 1st episode, and I'm liking it. Not sure how I missed it when it was first shown!

Reactions: 1