It's A Sin - Channel 4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's a weird one though, because although it was amazing, it was also so horrible at the same time. Both me and my sister said we just felt sad after it ended. I've never re-watched Cucumber because that was also really sad and tragic (in a different way).

I might psych myself up to re-watch.
I watched Cucumber last week for the first time - very different to It's A Sin, but like you say, still very sad and tragic but in a less overt way at times.

Reactions: 2
I watched it for a second time and def picked up on stuff I'd missed - i'd recommend!
I loved it even more the second time around. I went in completely blind the first time. I had no idea what it was about or hadn’t even heard anything about it but the first Friday night it was on, I couldn’t reach the remote while I was feeding my baby so came across it by mistake 🤣 so glad I did but I wasn’t ready for the heartbreak 💔

An absolutely brilliant series. It had RTD all over it, so well written. I was a teenager in the early 80's and recognised some of the behaviour and misconceptions. The rubber gloves was typical, the bonfire not so well.known but I heard one story where a family did exactly that when their son died.

The different manifestations if the virus from early on set dementia, pneumonia, lesions etc were accurately displayed.

It was amazing, thought provoking and well worth a 2nd viewing - I need to recover first though.

LA

Reactions: 8
Cucumber is next weeks viewing. Did you watch banana as well?
That's next on my list! I know there's some crossover but I think I prefer the continuous storyline style of Cucumber rather than self-contained episodes. However, I know there's more Freddie in Banana so...:love:

I think it's a shame how few of my straight friends have watched It's A Sin (or any TV based around gay people). I'm straight but so much of my life and my interests are influenced by gay people that I feel I should watch these things, and I genuinely find them much more rich and complex than hetero love stories.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I loved it even more the second time around. I went in completely blind the first time. I had no idea what it was about or hadn’t even heard anything about it but the first Friday night it was on, I couldn’t reach the remote while I was feeding my baby so came across it by mistake 🤣 so glad I did but I wasn’t ready for the heartbreak 💔
I didn’t really know what it was about to be honest. Just kept seein the advert with the music, love the 80s. So glad I did and yes the heartbreak got me too. 😭💔

Reactions: 1
They are selling "La" t-shirts with the proceeds going to the Terrance Higgins Trust.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
They are selling "La" t-shirts with the proceeds going to the Terrance Higgins Trust.
Reminds me - i am going to make a donation directly to the trust.. Living in Ireland and i'd be afraid id get stung for VAT/customs!

Like others on this thread, I’m watching for a second time (C4 pace) and picking up on a lot of stuff I missed during the binge. It’s also quite a different experience watching it and knowing what’s going to happen (even though we had all guessed I’m sure).

I'm still psyching myself up to watch again tbh, I do want to watch it again and see what I notice that I didn't the first time. The fact that it was so beautifully done is what also makes it incredibly heavy though I suppose.

Reactions: 3
I couldn't get into Cucumber, I think I found it too bitter. Liked the anthology series Banana though.

Also really enjoyed RTD's previous series Years and Years.

What's everyone watched since? I'm finding it really hard to get into anything else, watch about 15 minutes of something but can't get into it! It was so good, everything else seems rubbish!

• Heart
Yeah I’m watching again with different eyes. You always spot things and clues.
Still thinking about Collin. His background story of was a mixed one. I wasn’t sure if he had consented To football shirt guy, maybe he felt pressured by him.
Maybe on the after hours show they might break it down for us.
I assumed it was his first sexual experience so wasn't aware that football shirt was a bit rough with him. He was probably excited that there was somebody like him under the same roof. I saw it as consensual but he wasn't sure how he should react. It absolutely broke my heart when he died.

Reactions: 11
Wasn’t Marcus one of the many men who Ritchie slept with back at his flat? I think there was a very brief scene and he’s like “bye then!” afterwards.

God this show, I can’t stop thinking about it.

I was born in 1982 so I can’t really remember too much about it but I do remember in primary school, kids would run around chasing other kids and if they caught them, they were given ‘Aids’ and had to pass it onto the next person they then caught. I don’t think any of them understood what AIDS was but it shows you how it trickled down to kids even as young as 6 or 7 at the time

It makes me sad that these men were living their lives in shame just because they were gay. And this wasn’t even a long time ago, this is modern history. My sister is a married gay woman who has been with her partner for nearly 20 years. The mental health struggles she has as a result of being horrifically bullied as a child and as an ADULT for being who she is are horrific. It’s scarred her for life and affects her every day and even now she gets funny looks if they walk down the street together or people whisper behind their backs. It’s shocking and heartbreaking.

Reactions: 4
I thought it was a masterpiece. So perfectly pitched and and well told.

Attitudes have changed but people are still so judgmental - I messaged a group of work colleagues about how good it was when someone asked for TV recommendations and got the reply 'think I'll give that one a miss thanks'.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 9