Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Opalfruit8

VIP Member
Am I the only one that hates Primark?

Firstly, I actually do not think Primark is that cheap.. I find H&M cheaper and considerably better quality! Everything I have ever purchased in Primark has developed holes or fallen apart with in one or two wears! I cannot think of one item that has stood the test of time.

Secondly, I just find Primark stores too busy, filled with people in my way!

Lastly, I just find the whole concept of ‘throw away fashion’ so horrendous. Having watched documentaries on how some of these cheaper items have are made and the factories allowing their dyes from the fabric to leak into river causing harm to locals and the environment!

And.... if I have to see one more influencer show their “Primark haul” I’m going to scream.... I don’t care what tat you have in your brown bag!

Am I alone in this?
I absolutely hate it. The quality is poor (especially for socks) and much as I love a bargain, there’s bargains and then there’s primark.

Reactions: 4

ChubClubThug

VIP Member
I went to primary yesterday for the first time in a couple of years. Used to love it ! Oils always pick several outfits and bags and shoes and would often come away with a ‘haul’.

Not anymore, I struggled to find anything that wasn’t utterly hideous - patterns and prints and then fucking SLOGANS like ‘Hogwarts is always HOME’ or ‘SLAY ALL DAY’

The prices weren’t that cheap and the quality was obviously poor. I said to my husband that it’s the last time I’ll ever shop there, and he agreed.

I don’t like the thought of fast fashion but don’t have the money to invest in high quality items all the time. H and M is the ‘old’ primark quality in my opinion so I’ll be shopping there
Those slogans 🙄 I agree it's not even that low cost anymore. Love H&M! They have got a lot better with sizing and quality..

p.s your Tattle name has me 😂😂😂

judsmum

Chatty Member
We have a caravan in the Peak district and my 7 year old plays out all day whatever the weather. His clothes for the caravan all come from primark because £1-£2 for a T-shirt and 3 quid for jogging bottoms that are only gonna get covered in mud makes sense but the quality is shit and they don’t wash well but they do last! I buy a big ‘haul’ (ha sorry! I hate that term!) for him at the beginning of the season and it sees him through to the end so 8 months. Any clothes that I want to last for him come from M&S or next.

I never buy women’s stuff, I once bought a bra and every time I bent over a titty fell out, not supportive at all.

• Haha

Dannie

Chatty Member
When I was losing my weight I bought their leggings as refused to waste money on clothes as I was dropping sizes. Bought some white vest tops too and pjs are good value too. Everything else seems cheap and not very good quality clothes wise. The exception is underwear - Fantastic for my 11 year old who is now growing boobs 😂. Picking up bras for her for 2 quid after being measured in marks and Spencer’s .I love their sandals. Especially the sparkly ones. I picked up a cream bronzer there once and love it more than my Chanel soil de tan one. I pick up cotton pads too. A big pack for 50 p. Picked up some sparkly belts to dress up jeans on a evening night out.so some things are good but you have to selective. The aisles full of people make me want to turn into the hulk at times but now I tend to either go at opening or just before closing on a sunday.

If you out cost per wear it's actually quite expensive. The quality is just rubbish even simple items like vests shrink or lose shape after a couple of washes. I've found although more expensive next, new look etc are more cost effective in the long run.
The next sale is fab for kids clothes and prob the same price as primark, tops for £3,jeans about £5/7. Well worth buying it a season in advance imo

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
I like it but it's definitely getting a lot more expensive that it used to be. I've really noticed prices creeping up in the last year or so.

I wish they'd calm down with the Disney shit though. It's all over the place in there and on absolutely everything. It's like their target range all of sudden is 12 year olds.
That said I have a work colleague who recently spent over £400 in the Disney store on stuff for herself (no kids) She's 40 and personally I thought it was a bit sad, but I suppose whatever floats your boat.

ABCDEFG

Chatty Member
Except for socks I am not a fan.

You get what you pay for with Primark but I dont think they are any cheaper than say ASDA ect, but the quality is awful. Tops always end up out of shape.
My local store always puts me off because it looks like a jumble sale.

Fatima

VIP Member
I must be alone as everything I've had has lasted ages and not shrunk or been thrownaway. I usually buy their vest tops, pants, socks, sometimes shoes, and nice dresses.

Mine must be a quiet store too! I enjoy going, but it definitely isn't as cheap as it used to be!
You are definitely a lucky one on this! Lol

thats good, maybe you’re better at laundry than I am.
Maybe depends on the country?or is it the same quality everywhere?

Because long time ago, I saw a documentary showing that the texture of the Nutella wasn’t the same here in France and in Germany.
I know it’s food it’s not the same but maybe it applies in clothes?🤷🏻‍♀️

Last edited:
Reactions: 3

memoii11

VIP Member
Okay, so which one of you cursed me? The primark vest top I was wearing got a hole in it, after saying everything I've had has been decent quality! 😂

• Haha

hrh89

VIP Member
I actually love primark but it depends on which store you visit whether or not you get a pick of the top range items. The bigger stores (London etc) have lovely stuff that’s similar to places like new look but a third cheaper but my local store (Brighton) is pretty lacking in the new stuff and always seems to be filled with t shirts and vest tops 🙄

I still think on the whole their prices are good especially for things like jumpers, jogging bottoms, shirts and blouses etc. Coats are always nice too. I hate the fit of their jeans though they are weirdly baggy round the crotch 😂 I stick to asos when it comes to bottoms.

I actually shop a lot in the men’s section of primark, they have nice basic sweatshirts for £6 in so many colours and I find the fit better than women’s. Same with jogging bottoms. I find the women’s too skinny fit so I get the men’s cuffed ones!

Those slogans 🙄 I agree it's not even that low cost anymore. Love H&M! They have got a lot better with sizing and quality..

p.s your Tattle name has me 😂😂😂
I love H&M too but their prices just confuse the hell out of me! I can pick up a t shirt and it’ll be like £39.99 then find a dress that’s £8.99! I can never tell how much something is going to be by just looking at it!

I love it for the underwear, socks, shoes, leggings, ie the basics but I do struggle to find any “nice” clothes. Nearly every top I looked at over the weekend was cropped 🙄

Custard cream

I hate Primark too!! The clothes are dreadful - poor quality and cheap looking. They don’t wash well either in my opinion. Not to mention the store is always too busy and messy (well in my local one anyway). Everyone I know loves Primark and I always feel like I’m the odd one out as I don’t like even going in the front door of it! I would rather save up for a bit longer and buy stuff from Zara or Next or somewhere as it’s generally better quality.

I used to like it and over the past few years I’ve lost quite a bit of weight so brought a few dresses but they shrink! A cotton checked shirt dress that was lovely and loose. Washed and line dried and put it on two days later misshapen and much smaller. That cost £15 as well. So not mega cheap.

It’s handy for dd and her Harry Potter obsession but even she has stopped wanting to go in there as as others have said the material is usually weird. T shirts in a funny polyester almost shiny material or cotton that shrinks.
H&M sizing is tiny so I rarely shop in there.

Primark does what it says on the tin. It’s cheap, mass manufactured tat that is designed to only last a few wears. It’s not meant to last long, that’s the whole point. They want you to keeP going back and buying stuff on a regular basis.

I go in and get a few bits every now and again - usually a few bits of work wear or a few things for a holiday. I don’t expect any of it to last very long and therefore it doesn’t bother me when inevitably items get thrown away after a few wears or washes.

If I want good quality, value for money clothing that lasts for ages I wouldn’t be going to Primark for it!!!
Yes, you’re quite right! It’s definitely not built to last and I guess one should only go there with that expectation. I just feel the price has crept up to almost match other high street. I have found the kids clothes are roughly the same price as Next (but Next are much better quality.)

coconochanel

VIP Member
I used to buy my basics from primark knickers (for time of the month) and socks. The knickers came apart at the seams and the socks got holes in after a few months. Now I buy my basics from m&s and ive never looked back. Primark is ok for some things I buy the fleecy pjs but if you buy the jumpers from there invest in a debobbler.

OhhBacon

VIP Member
I like their jeans, skinny fit are great and wash well.
My boyfriend has their hoodies for work.

That is all I buy from there, the rest is crap!!!

DramaNoDrama

90p flip flops are great for holidays and/or hospital showers when given birth
I definitely like the cheap flip flops ..

We have an Asda next to us and they are usually about £3 or £4 a dress.

I use Next online (never in store as the range is terrible) most of the girls dresses I buy Next are about £5 or £6 I just put them I price order to find the cheapest. What I do like about the Next dresses is that the wash really well and last for ages.

H & M - although I know you don’t have one near you, the dresses are all about £2.99 - £4.99.

You’re not a caver person at all. I’m with you! I just think it’s a shame they don’t put more effort into making things better quality so they last, not end up in landfill.

I have found lots of children’s clothing items online but I’m struggling to upload them as it says “file too big”.

I can only suggest going directly to the websites and putting kids clothing into ascending price order.

Sorry hope that helps P xxxx
Thank you so much for the tips. Appreciate it x

Whatliesbeneath

VIP Member
I like the underwear and the makeup and theyve started making actual nice heels but the clothes ehhhh hit and miss

The only things I buy from Primark these days are shapewear tights and underwear for my boys (if I can find the sizes).
The shops are too vast but always crowded and cant find anything. Sizing is all over the place and with two kids in hand I dont have time to hang around the changing rooms.
Shoes, underwear, t shirts are awful quality. They bobble or shrink.
Jeggins / "denim" trousers stained my skin for months no matter how many times I washed them. I looked like a freak with denim stained legs whenever I took them off.
Primark is not cheap these days - I think they started off as a cheap shop with decent stuff but I really struggle with paying £15-£18 for a jumper at primark if i can get better quality for less elsewhere.