Ireland - any stories from growing up?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
knock knock
Open wide,
See what’s on the other side.....

It’s bleeping Dublin zoo again ffs Bosco.... 🙄
I've a story about Dublin Zoo yrs ago when my son was about 5 we took him ,it rained from the heavens ,the Gorilla choked on a ball and died and the Giraffes decided they wanted a shag in front of about 20 families .Everyone was running to cover their kids eye's a Giraffe with a **** on is not a pretty sight I'm still scarred for life 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 13
This is making me feel fierce nostalgic. I'm in Canada now, just a few years, but I feel nostalgic about loads of stuff. Lucozade, decent chocolate. Tayto, Colour Catcher sheets for the washing machine, grand stretch in the evenings, great drying out, flat 7up, brack (never even ate the stuff when I lived there), soda bread, decent butter, a white sliced pan. Bosco, Dustin, not being able to make it back to repeal the 8th, 99s, Monster Munch, Space Raiders, Bacon Fries.

Jesus but I miss Ireland, lads. Love it here, it's home now, but I do miss it.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I'm Irish, but have lived in the UK for nearly 30 years, and there are still things that I say which my English hubby has gotten used to, but he now also says them! 'C'mere to me...', standing up to do something and going 'now!' for no reason, 'grand', and of course: ''turn off the 'big light'' :)

One of the best Irish weddings I went to was in Kinsale, Co Cork (and I’ve been to loads in Ireland), another 5am job - massive hangover next day....

Mind how you go.
and 'mind yourself' when you said goodbye to someone

Last edited:
  • Haha
I remember being scared shitless on Barry's ghost trainđŸ‘»
Soda bread with real butter and a cup of tae
Free state Dairy milk,golden crisp and mint crisp
Banging the bin lids when the army were searching
Having to go through a turnstile and getting searched on every st in the town centre

• Heart
Reactions: 7
My mum would always say that children should be taught how to say their prayers before another words

Reactions: 2
For anyone who now lives outside of Ireland. Do you ever see people in the town or city where you now live, and just think they have a big Irish head on them? It’s unmistakable.

“Look at the big mad Irish head on him/her”

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Derry Girl here. One of my most vivid childhood memories was playing with my brother and friends and the army were patrolling the streets as they normally were, it was really icy that day and one of the soldiers slipped and fell on his arse and we were screaming laughing at him until he pulled his gun on us 🙈 I was 7 at the time and wet myself then my Ma gave me a clip on the ear back in the house because I only had one pair of trousers at the time 😂

Fave Irish saving, when talking about someone tight, “sure they’d peel an orange in their pocket” 😂😂😂

• Haha
For anyone who now lives outside of Ireland. Do you ever see people in the town or city where you now live, and just think they have a big Irish head on them? It’s unmistakable.

Irish lads you can spot a mile away, can't believe the DM did a 'you can copy his look' article on the fella from Normal People and it was a pair of o'neills shorts. Made me absolutely howl!

• Haha
I'm Irish, but have lived in the UK for nearly 30 years, and there are still things that I say which my English hubby has gotten used to, but he now also says them! 'C'mere to me...', standing up to do something and going 'now!' for no reason, 'grand', and of course: ''turn off the 'big light'' :)

and 'mind yourself' when you said goodbye to someone
and saying "I'll let you go" when you're done talking and "bye bye bye bye bye bye bye" on the phone. Oooh and calling a cupboard a press.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Derry Girl here. One of my most vivid childhood memories was playing with my brother and friends and the army were patrolling the streets as they normally were, it was really icy that day and one of the soldiers slipped and fell on his arse and we were screaming laughing at him until he pulled his gun on us 🙈 I was 7 at the time and wet myself then my Ma gave me a clip on the ear back in the house because I only had one pair of trousers at the time 😂

Fave Irish saving, when talking about someone tight, “sure they’d peel an orange in their pocket” 😂😂😂
Jesus you must have been foundered:LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 3

I used to live in Liverpool and I agree it was mostly irish lads you could spot a mile off. And of course Liverpool is full of them. We used to practically live in pogues irish bar, we used to say it may as well have been the irish embassy

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Phoning home to talk to my parents. On the rare occasion that my Dad would answer the phone, he would ask : Everything in order? Right, I’ll fetch your Mother.....

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7