Ireland - any stories from growing up?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I grew up in the North near the border.
We used to go over the border on sunny days to the beach and come home with the "good butter", the "proper white bread", the "free state tayto" and Irish Cadbury.
My grandad used to always come with us and go to his favourite pub while we were at the beach
When the army border checkpoints were still a thing if they stopped us my grandad (who was the biggest joker and messer) uSd to shout really loud "ah shite they're gona find the guns in the boot now". I was only about 7 or 8 and used to cry my eyes out thinking the soldiers would take him away and he would be laughing his head off 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 19
We used to go over the border on sunny days to the beach and come home with the "good butter", the "proper white bread", the "free state tayto" and Irish Cadbury.
My grandad used to always come with us and go to his favourite pub while we were at the beach
When the army border checkpoints were still a thing if they stopped us my grandad (who was the biggest joker and messer) uSd to shout really loud "ah shite they're gona find the guns in the boot now". I was only about 7 or 8 and used to cry my eyes out thinking the soldiers would take him away and he would be laughing his head off 🤣🤣
Ah bless you. We lived just south of the border in the 80’s and my Dad would go over the border for petrol, and us kids would be scared stiff in the back of the car, seeing the soldiers and the large look out towers....

Reactions: 6
I love how political Tayto was 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I agree with all you say. I think it is all about money and inheritance. There is a famous photo on the Internet of Bishop Casey and Fr Cleary either side of the Pope in his popemobile when he visited Ireland in 1979, two of the biggest hypocrites!
Ya I guess it was a bit hypocritical. the church of England vicars can marry have families and carry out their duties just fine, if the Vatican had followed suit there wouldn't be half the scandals I'm betting.
Eamonn Casey did amazing work for Irish Emigrants in the UK, he would be anti Trump and refused to meet Reagan or back his visit - I'm not 100%sure what that was about it was a human rights thing. And unfortunately he's remembered for having sex, something most of us do twice a year, birthdays AND Xmas 😂😂😉

• Haha
Ah bless you. We lived just south of the border in the 80’s and my Dad would go over the border for petrol, and us kids would be scared stiff in the back of the car, seeing the soldiers and the large look out towers....
We had an army base really near our house and used to get woke up on Sundays with a chinook landing at the bottom of the garden 🤣🤣
I remember playing swingball in my friends back garden and a soldier crawling through the bottom of the hedge. He must have only been about 18....we just waved awkwardly and kept playing. Funny what you remember.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Ya I guess it was a bit hypocritical. the church of England vicars can marry have families and carry out their duties just fine, if the Vatican had followed suit there wouldn't be half the scandals I'm betting.
Eamonn Casey did amazing work for Irish Emigrants in the UK, he would be anti Trump and refused to meet Reagan or back his visit - I'm not 100%sure what that was about it was a human rights thing. And unfortunately he's remembered for having sex, something most of us do twice a year, birthdays AND Xmas 😂😂😉
I agree. Catholic priests should be allowed to marry, but I think it is all about the Vatican wanting to hold onto their wealth.

I always loved that Fr Ted saying- sure the money was only resting in my account!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Fabulous memories 😂 but scary times. Screenshot_20200604-211927~2.png

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
We had an army base really near our house and used to get woke up on Sundays with a chinook landing at the bottom of the garden 🤣🤣
I remember playing swingball in my friends back garden and a soldier crawling through the bottom of the hedge. He must have only been about 18....we just waved awkwardly and kept playing. Funny what you remember.
My friend who lived on the border in Fermanagh, saying soldiers would knock on their bedroom window; when they were teenagers in bed late at night and scare the life out of them. I can’t imagine growing up in that situation.

Does anyone recall the Ann Lovett scandal in 1984 in Ireland?

Reactions: 5
My friend who lived on the border in Fermanagh, saying soldiers would knock on their bedroom window; when they were teenagers in bed late at night and scare the life out of them. I can’t imagine growing up in that situation.
I was 14 the time of the good Friday agreement so most of it was when I was too young. My dad said he found me about 7 or 8 watching some news report about anotjer bomb, legs and arms crossed like an old fishwife tutting and saying "poor ireland daddy, poor ireland"...such a granny 🤣🤣🤣

In saying that there was quite a few big things happened in my early teens that I remember all too clearly and I think that's why I love derry girls so much I was that age when that is set...was all so familiar.

• Haha

Does anyone recall the Ann Lovett scandal in 1984 in Ireland?
I remember that. So incredibly sad.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I was 14 the time of the good Friday agreement so most of it was when I was too young. My dad said he found me about 7 or 8 watching some news report about anotjer bomb, legs and arms crossed like an old fishwife tutting and saying "poor ireland daddy, poor ireland"...such a granny 🤣🤣🤣

In saying that there was quite a few big things happened in my early teens that I remember all too clearly and I think that's why I love derry girls so much I was that age when that is set...was all so familiar.
I can recall coming home from school every day, with Ulster TV evening news on and another bombing. You just became desensitised to it all.

I remember that. So incredibly sad.
She was in my class in school.

Reactions: 3
If we’re talking scandals and drama -

Charlie Haughey 😐
Every house in Ireland in the 90’s was tuned into RTE for that tit show 🤦‍♀️

legend.

F8517B1D-E4AC-4B1F-AE08-4B3A29206CED.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Screenshot_20200604-214452~2.png
Oh I love these😍 my gran used to call Mikados "wooly backs" 😂😂 anyone else have a favourite Irish biscuit?

• Haha
  • Heart
When I was a child my maternal grandmother visited Buncrana quite a lot. On one particular trip, she bought my mother a lace tablecloth. She wrapped it around her body under her underwear, in a toilet,. She said she did some shopping. My dad said I think it’s called smuggling.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I have loads, i moved to the uk 8 years ago and miss my culchie roots. We used to run across the old mans next doors bales having the time of our lives til he caught us and mam and dad would go ballistic. Would still do it the next evening. We lived beside a small stream and one summer used a wooden crate and plastic barrels and about 10 of us jumped on it with 2 pushing it down the stream and the water was full of cow tit 😂😂😂 we all started smoking at like 11 behind the old mans next doors bales 🤣🤣🤣 the nearest bit shop was 15 miles so we would walk a mile to the local pub to buy an overpriced dairymilk! Did anyone else have a field car? God forbid you'd drive it in the fields before sillage season though

• Haha
Reactions: 7
7up and dry toast could cure any illness or ailment. Kerry girl here. Don’t live in Ireland now but I miss it so much.

I haven’t been home since Christmas and I’m missing my family so much. Bloody corona. No idea when it’s safe to fly either. Aer lingus aren’t flying atm from what I can see but Ryanair are from London. I wonder how that will work with social distancing though?

Remember when they tried to make tayto chocolate a thing. It wasn’t a thing. Cheap cooking chocolate, should of used Cadbury’s, blasphemy!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
7up and dry toast could cure any illness or ailment. Kerry girl here. Don’t live in Ireland now but I miss it so much.

I haven’t been home since Christmas and I’m missing my family so much. Bloody corona. No idea when it’s safe to fly either. Aer lingus aren’t flying atm from what I can see but Ryanair are from London. I wonder how that will work with social distancing though?

Remember when they tried to make tayto chocolate a thing. It wasn’t a thing. Cheap cooking chocolate, should of used Cadbury’s, blasphemy!
Yes!!! Why didn't cadbury and tayto team up for that, they are the best combo. Bite of each.
Chocolate in them was minging