Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

veevee04

VIP Member
I'm honestly baffled that most of the DM seem to think it's a cryptic "hey Alice, I might have a baby from your husband, haha" (I only noticed that she used the same emojis as in the couple announcement) - Alice will 100 % think the same then, damn
They do and AE will be reading all the comments , I don't think she will post as herself tonight as she will be high off the supposed public " support " and want to keep the momentum going she will be tweeting off Alcatones all night.

Reactions: 3

IHateHadargoyle

VIP Member
Great post especially BIB.
I think AE is a rage junkie so she gets off on all this, and the attention to. She is very like Trump in many ways. She would rather people diss her than ignore her. She WANTS to see posts that inflame her and actively goes looking for them, including unblocking people so she can argue with them some more. Yes it's strange behaviour but some people are like that.

And I'm here for it. :cool:
I was just wondering if Tattlelife is what keeps Alice going? I sincerely hope not.

I think Emma picked that up from Ioan. He started humping things and finally escaped when Alice tried to kiss him too.
Tell us what you really think of Ioan, Ena? Especially since the man you’d rather shag is in a bit of a pickle across the pond. 🤭

Last edited:
  • Sad

Knitwit

VIP Member
So he outright lied then? Because this is his quote: "I decided that no amount of money would prevent me from standing up for the poor workers and their decimated community. So I called Burberry up and asked whether there was any way we could make it work for all of us but they just said 'no' and left me for dead. Fine, I thought, you can come and sue me but I'm going to defend these people."

Although I suppose technically he says 'fine, I thought' not 'fine, I said'. So maybe he thought it but never acted on it 😂
He did speak out but only after it became public that he had refused to help save the jobs

He did one step further than thoughts and prayers. He called them up, asked what are they doing, they said it's none of his business and he agreed. And that, he believes, is him giving it his best. Case closed.
Giving his 'best' and painting himself as a hero

The news coverage seems to indicate that he did come out publicly in support of the workers. It was about two weeks after the news first broke. Michael Sheen didn’t join the campaign until months later.

As locals probably know, the factory closed:
Unlike Ioan, Michael Sheen wasn't the current face of a Burberry campaign. Emma Thompson also spoke out.

klarakluckbag

VIP Member
He was very nice! I saw a show where him and his son were doing a You Do You Think You Are type thing. But the guy at the other end, don't even know what his name is, was really funny. I've attached his photo again. He sort of looks like Tone 🤣
I'm not a big fan, I'm a touch too young and missed their their hay day although I loved Through The Barricades, but my husband loves them. Glad I could make your day by including a random Spandau Ballet post.
That's John Keeble I think? He was a Spandau Ballet member, possibly on keyboards?

Welsh Attack Squirrel

I came across an interview Ioan did with Celia Walden in the Telegraph in 2008.
Ioan Gruffudd: Blair, Burberry and fatherhood
It has some interesting facts and observations in it. Ioan used to be a smoker. Nicole Appleton dumped him.
'Around that time, while dating Nicole Appleton from girl band All Saints ("until I was unceremoniously turfed out for the next guy"), he met Evans.'
This is odd. He met Alice first.

He basically describes Alice here:
'Moving to LA, where he and his beautiful wife, Francophile actress Alice Evans, have lived for the past five years, doesn't appear to have thinned his character in the way it has for so many exports. "LA is like alcohol: either it accents your natural characteristics or it taps into your insecurities and makes monsters out of people,"

BUT this was the bit that jumped out at me. Ioan used to be the face of Burberry's London Perfume. I didn't think Ioan was political and so I was really surprised and applauded him for this: Good for you Ioan!!!
When, as the face of Burberry London perfume, he heard that three hundred factory workers at the label's Treorchy plant in Wales, near his birthplace, were to lose their jobs last year, Gruffudd refused to turn a blind eye.
"I decided that no amount of money would prevent me from standing up for the poor workers and their decimated community. So I called Burberry up and asked whether there was any way we could make it work for all of us but they just said 'no' and left me for dead. Fine, I thought, you can come and sue me but I'm going to defend these people."

I then googled the Burberry story and came across this article from 2006 in The Independent:
'Face of Burberry' refuses to join jobs battle in homeland | The Independent | The Independent
They'll keep a welcome in the hillsides, as the old Welsh song goes, but only up to a point.
One person for whom the welcome is conditional is Ioan Gruffudd, the Welsh actor. He has become the new face of Burberry - "high class" purveyor of luxury goods, couturier to chavs across the United Kingdom and the main employer in Treorchy, in the Rhondda valley, south Wales.
Burberry is threatening to close its factory, condemning more than 300 people to the dole queue, which presents the Cardiff-born actor with a bit of a PR problem. It is even more of a problem for the Burberry employees. Rhondda is not the kind of place where jobs grow on the Forestry Commission conifers that overlook the plant.
So far, intermediaries for Mr Gruffudd have said he is "sad" about the job losses but unable to back a campaign to save the factory.
A letter from his public relations adviser yesterday, marked "not for publication", says that because the actor is contracted to the company it would be "inappropriate" for him to comment. He hopes, however, that "everything works out".
Leighton Andrews, a member of the Welsh Assembly for Rhondda, said the workers were hoping for a little more from the actor who starred as Horatio Hornblower in the ITV adaptation of the Forester novels and played Lancelot to Keira Knightley's Guinevere in the recent film about King Arthur.
John Harris, a union official at the plant, said of Mr Gruffudd's response: "We understand his position but he's a Welsh megastar and we were hoping that he woud be more supportive."

Fuck you Ioan.
How fucking dare he portray himself as the hero in this 2 years after he said he wouldn't help. He was bowing to public pressure. This shows how aware he is of his public image and please, anyone that comes on here to say 'it wasn't him, it was his PR people', the usual Ioan can do no wrong with some posters. He is the one who chose to paint himself as the hero 2 years later.
I had completely forgotten about this. This is a piss poor example of a Welsh man. When you think of Anthony Hopkins who gave a million pounds to help preserve Snowdonia and Michael Sheen, who funded the Homeless World Cup in Cardiff with his own money. This gives more weight to the viewpoint that his mother(parents

• Heart

Hiraeth

VIP Member
I think he used the word faithful (trusted?) hound because it's a phrase you find in medieval literature. Or fantasy literature (Huan!). Sounds like his thing, white knights and all.

Also, a minute of silence for Gelert, please.
Big 💜 for the Tolkien reference!

• Heart
Reactions: 2

Dombey

Oh no. I wish I could unsee that. I have had a big crush on Ioan but that gives me the wobblies (not in a good way) 😳
It's not coming up for me. Computer says, 'Turn off ad blocking' etc. But I can't be bothered, especially with people getting the ick from it

• Haha

Knitwit

VIP Member
I mean the fact that Ioan was the face of the Burberry campaign and spoke out makes it much more remarkable that he did that. For everyone else it's easy, he had conflict of interest.

And even if it took public pressure (or perhaps it was just legal advice) that's still good. Most people in that position usually let this go silently (which I too understand)

I also dont think he painted himself as a hero. He told the story truthfully, even if he left his initial refusal out.

That's definitely very unfair to him now, especially after you left context out (unintentionally I presume) that painted him badly
I am pretty offended that you think I left context out, even with the caveat 'unintentionally I presume' which I presume to be passive-aggressive. What would I have to gain by omitting context? Please explain exactly what context you feel I left out. I presented information as I discovered it I copy-pasted the first article and copy-pasted the second. I applauded him for standing up for the factory, then discovered he had initially refused. In this quote, he absolutely describes his actions as selfless and heroic. Good for him that he spoke out EvEnTuAlLy, if there had been no backlash I doubt he would have.

"I decided that no amount of money would prevent me from standing up for the poor workers and their decimated community. So I called Burberry up and asked whether there was any way we could make it work for all of us but they just said 'no' and left me for dead. Fine, I thought, you can come and sue me but I'm going to defend these people."

lolaclare

Dyma chi fynd! 😩🤣😘
Ooh question from a welsh learner, still plodding my way slowly through Duolingo: shouldn't it be 'Dyma chi'n mynd'? If not, why not? Sorry, I know it's off-topic but I don't know how to do spoilers (I've barely managed to do this quote, so hoping it works!). The language is so idiosyncratic that I'm guessing that the chi instead of chi'n is for a reason I haven't come across yet. I think I posted way back in these threads saying it was quite straightforward and easy - I take that back now as I'm starting to really struggle with the more complicted stuff.

• Wow

Knitwit

VIP Member
Ah. Now it feels more complete.

From the article:

Last night, Leighton Andrews said the actor's support would be a great boost to the 300 workers who are fighting to keep their jobs from being moved to China.

He said, "It is immense. Obviously, we wanted his endorsement from the start as he is one of the two main faces of Burberry but we knew he was in a difficult position. The fact that he has come out and done this is fantastic."

It seems that the campaign to keep the factory, which is one of the main outlays for the company's polo shirts, is gathering more support.

ETA: It also gives a timeline:

Thursday, November 9 - Ioan Gruffudd's PR people say it is inappropriate for him to comment.

Sunday, November 19 - Ioan Gruffudd writes to Leighton Andrews telling of his support for the workers and how he has urged Ahrendts to look for other options.
It still doesn't change the fact that he was asked to help and refused, he then realized it wasn't a good look, reversed course then painted himself as a hero

saraw946

This is me too. I know when they sell the house, BW starts doing acting or she really just breathes air Alice is going to lose her shit. There are so many things coming soon like bifurcation, house sale, jobs etc where Alice is going to melt down and abuse again. So until she gets mental health help and does something positive by NOT abusing for the rest of her life, I have nothing to say about one good acting stint.
Edit.. nothing against those who do.
Didn‘t she work with Claude Lelouche when she was really young though?

Knitwit

VIP Member
yeah, no, you are very wrong.

If I research something and put a story together and unintentionally happen to miss out on a piece (it can happen) and it's later pointed out to me that something crucial is missing I would adjust my opinion accordingly rather than to double down and continue to criticise somebody unfairly based on the opinion I built based on my faulty (incomplete) research, in your case by still minimizing him speaking out on the basis that others (who unlike him had nothing to lose, yet more missing context, in fact somehow you think it's more remarkable if you speak out without conflict of interest?) did speak out too so it's nothing special anyway or because he only did after there was some uproar, which is funny, because I've never seen somebody going after their own sponsor before there is public outrage.
yeah, no. It doesn't change my opinion. My 'faulty (incomplete) research'? This is a gossip forum, not a PhD thesis. It doesn't make one iota of difference to me to subsequently discover he wrote a letter. It doesn't change the fact that he presented himself as a hero in 2008, or that either he or Celia Walden CHOSE to leave out that he didn't step up to the plate when first asked. So what if the Arch Bishop of Canterbury wasn't the current face of Burberry? He is a Welshman and a senior Church official and opened himself up to criticism by speaking out, sure the others had less to lose but they still spoke out. What would have been heroic would have been for Ioan to have spoken out when asked precisely because he had something to lose, not when he was tried in the court of Welsh opinion and found wanting.

Knitwit

VIP Member
You say 'eventually' like it was months before he said anything. He spoke out 10 days after his PR people initially said it would be inappropriate to comment.

10 days.

In your original post, #737, you completely left out the fact that he had written a letter. It made it seem as though the campaign criticised him for his statement saying he couldn't comment, and then 2 years later he claimed he had supported them. It made him look like a liar.

That's why I said it seemed like something was missing...and it was. He wrote the letter. Buttertart pasted the link to the article. You didn't mention this originally which is why Welp said context was missing.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/ioan-joins-battle-save-burberry-2301415
@IHateHadargoyle is this behind a paywall for you?
I 'conveniently' left out the fact he wrote a letter because guess what? There was no mention of a letter in the articles I read and posted. The first I heard of it was him boasting in 2008 of how he had stood up for the workers. I googled and saw it wasn't quite like that. My bad for not digging further so I could portray him as the hero he portrayed himself as but claiming I am 'deliberately leaving out context' because I have an agenda against Ioan pisses me off. I think this speaks to his character compared to others, Yes, I get the conflict of interest, but I think it specifically speaks about his awareness of PR and in this case, he was told it was harming him to keep his mouth shut. I know I would rather have Michael Sheen in my corner than Ioan but I guess that makes me anti Ioan