Ioan Gruffudd & Alice Evans #52 More projection than a silent movie theater

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not to be a generalist, but men tend to regret moving from one woman to another like they regret making more money for the same job and doing the extra work to change it.
Maybe there is regret but who lives a life without a regret that you can look at yourself.
I think IG mentally checked out a decade ago, even before their second daughter was born.
I've been thinking that too.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I end up missing most of thr film as I've disappeared down an online rabbit hole about one of the minor actors. Historical ones are the worst as I end up on a Wikipedia chain, 20 pages on from where I started "just to check if my memory is right about how it really happened".
For me the worst is watching something and recognizing an actor but you can't place them, so you have to go online in the middle of the show, search for the episode title, search the cast list, and then search the actor's credits until you find what you saw them in by which point you have to back up the show because you just missed the last 10 minutes. It's exhausting.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
That interview is 20 years old!! I'd imagine many life experiences since 2002 will have changed his opinions on fame. I would hate for people to think any comments I made 20 years ago are written in stone from that point on.
I know, right? I'd be mortified to read some of the offhand comments I made back in the day. I think the value of posting the interview segment ties into the discussion about why Ioan didn't hone his chops on the stage before trying to make it in Hollywood. It was clear from the get-go that he was interested in making it in the big time as soon as humanly possible.

I get a bit sad when the conversation turns back round to picking at IG's career choices etc. Feels like the poor bloke can't catch a break anywhere from anybody. I'm not a super fan or anything (though I do love a bit of Hornblower), I just hate to think of AE and the FMs reading along with these threads and cackling because everyone here portrays him as a bit tit and useless too.

(not aimed at anyone in particular, just rambling into thin air really)

• Wow
Reactions: 28
Yes, I've read about the 'posh performer' issue. Seems to be the acting branch of the Old Boys' Club. There's plenty of networking that occurs in Hollywood, but your educational background seems to matter less here than who you know and in some of the sleazier circles, what you're willing to do.
It really kind of is an old boys club! It’s amazing how many English actors went to Eton or Harrow, or were otherwise privately educated.

Yes I think it's crystal clear than in this case no matter how wrong I or any others think cheating is, it certainly wasn't what ended the marriage.
Especially if we believe the gossip about AE's affair with one of her sons on TVD in 2010-11. I am inclined to believe it's true and it still didn't cause the end of their relationship - that was down to AE's abusive narc behaviour which went on for years.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Fame and money were definitely major motivations for Ioan. He didn't enjoy his time at RADA and only got a lead role in his final year. In a 2002 interview, he talked about Titanic and how he wanted to be Leonardo.
Mad about the boyo | Film | The Guardian
'Even though it was miserable and took so much time, the pay-off is so incredible. I was only playing a very small part - I wanted to be Leonardo DiCaprio, you know, in my own blockbuster. That's the quest I'm on. It made me more hungry. I hope that everything is a means to that. I'm not embarrassed to admit that that is an ambition. And why not? Twenty million a shot? Yeah, thank you very much." He has no time for actors who say wealth and integrity don't mix. They are self-deceived, he thinks. "People say, 'Oooh, money, it doesn't make you happy.' But because I feel quite happy at the moment, money would be a nice little bonus. To people who say it'll make you miserable, I say 'bollocks'. As long as you understand that you find happiness in real terms through family, friends and love, then money is just a nice bonus.'
'I just knew I wanted to do this forever' - Independent.ie
'Looking back," says Gruffudd of his seven years on the soap, "I was an awful actor, but I just knew I wanted to do this forever and I was happy to learn it as a craft and go to Rada and do everything I could to improve myself. And, you know, even then I imagined myself as a movie star and saw myself sitting in a house in Hollywood and gallivanting with the stars. So when I'd trained and established myself, I realised the dream was still there and I put up my hands and admitted that I wanted to pursue it'
Re: The Guardian article Mad about the Boyo - IIRC, IG gave a couple of early interviews where he talked about his ambition to be a movie star with a huge pay-day. And I always got the sense that this kind of open ambition is considered somewhat “uncool” in Hollywood.

Reactions: 5
That interview is 20 years old!! I'd imagine many life experiences since 2002 will have changed his opinions on fame. I would hate for people to think any comments I made 20 years ago are written in stone from that point on.
It may be 20 years old but it gives an insight into Ioan's motivations for moving to LA and also the effect numerous career disappointments would have had on his mental health, marriage, and confidence. We talk about 14-year-old Alice demanding that her family don't move from the family home as an early indication of her personality. Alice has such a large personality that Ioan's is overlooked

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Well it does make you wonder who he was getting his advice from. Surely any agent would encourage him to take the theatre work rather than do nothing and wait for Hollywood to call.
I wonder if she had anything to do with this because didn't she get him to fire an agent? She seemed to dominate so much of their relationship.
Saw a comment upthread (sorry, didn't tag member) which was a good point. Maybe his panic attacks played a part, excuse the pun, he had one I believe during filming Harrow but at least recording TV he could do a re-take. If you're prone to anxiety & panic attacks, which he is, I can't think of anything more anxiety inducing than theatre!

Reactions: 13
nexto

Reactions: 2
I just hate to think of AE and the FMs reading along with these threads and cackling because everyone here portrays him as a bit tit and useless too.
Huh? No one said that.

I think he's a good actor in the right vehicle. Liked his early stuff, not so much the Hollywood tit like FF4 but want to check out Forever.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.