Interior Design masters

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Michelle and Matthew did not agree this week did they. I was on Matthew’s team. Tom shouldn’t have been in the bottom 4 IMO. Not perfect and not my taste but 100% better than Monkia’s design or that ridiculous canopy 🙈

Reactions: 13
Tom is arrogant but he wasn’t bottom 4. The canopy bed room didn’t remotely look like a 5 star hotel. I would have sent that designer home and Joanne (the lobster woman).

It is going to be another male winner this year. Jack for me. He’s a clever and creative guy.

Got a bits awks when Matthew disagreed!

Looking forward to the shop edition. Wonder where?!

Reactions: 16
I was totally with Matthew too - no idea why Tom was in bottom 4 whilst that dreadful canopy room got a free pass.

Lobster lady’s room was just horrible and really tacky but the other lady, her room was worse. Very old fashioned and why ON EARTH move the bed so you’re looking at a wall instead of beautiful Scottish countryside?!

Jack or Ry to win.

Reactions: 11
one of our first lessons in uni they literally said 'never use the word theme' ... hate the way it's michelle's way or the highway and she prances about like a headteacher chastising a bunch of naughty school kids. i think there needs to be a second 'judge' as well as a guest judge to give some balance bc the guests aren't really arsed about the long term outcome and there's no one there to balance michelle's personal taste vs everything else being 'wrong'

i'm actually quite tempted to make a pinterest board for each week to see if some of the design decisions are as obvious as i think they are while watching 😅

Reactions: 6
Glad Joanne went home, she kept banging on about how hard she was working - spraying a lobster gold and sticking pheasant feathers to a lampshade is hardly taxing! That lampshade was awful and surely a fire risk?

I actually didn’t mind some of Monika’s design this week although the headboard idea with the paint effect was awful. Thought Temi’s room had some nice touches but the canopy was impractical and flimsy. Have to say any fabric around beds gives me the heebie-jeebies thinking about all the dust, mites and who knows what else harbouring in the fabric 🤮

Does anyone else find the chats between Michelle and Alan awkward AF? He cracks a joke and she doesn’t seem to know how to respond.

Reactions: 13
Michelle seems one removed from life IYSWIM.

Alan doesn’t seem to be doing as much this time. Not masses of interaction with the contestants.

I am not enjoying this series as much.

Reactions: 3
I think Kate Watson-Smyth and Sophie Robinson would be good judges. Their podcast has moments of madness and they often balance out each others opinions. Good friends with completely different taste. Michelle’s seems to struggle when a design doesn’t suit her. That was very evident this week with the difference of opinion

Reactions: 7
She’s seems to always be trying to find a problem when sometimes the room just works 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 5
Just watched it, glad Joanne went as she was obviously the weakest and think the other one who went home (can’t remember her name even though I’ve just watched it 🙈) deserved to go too. She should have revised her design to work with that great view, that was obvious.

Quite liked Monica’s room!

Reactions: 5
I think Kate Watson-Smyth and Sophie Robinson would be good judges. Their podcast has moments of madness and they often balance out each others opinions. Good friends with completely different taste. Michelle’s seems to struggle when a design doesn’t suit her. That was very evident this week with the difference of opinion
Sophie Robinson Was actually a judge in the series early days when it was called the Great interior design challenge.

Reactions: 4
Totally get what you mean about Michelle, both in terms of her way or the highway and seeming removed from life. I have very specific taste, but can recognise when something works even if it isn't in the style I would have chosen. I think the canopy room was way worse than Tom's - his wasn't amazing, but it was good. I liked Monika's, Ry's and Jack's rooms, too.

I didn't like the white room (and I think it would have been more of a challenge for him to have taken on the maximalist brief given his love of white), the lady who moved the bed made a huge error, and Joanne's was a mess (she should have got the spa brief as she describes herself as a maximalist I think, too).

I agree that Sophie R and Kate WS would be GREAT judges here - why not have the three of them?

I'm a designer and I agree with Matthew. Tom's room worked, while Temi's room created a problem. Design should solve problems, not create them. Her room reminded me of a teenager's room, it was not 5-star which was part of the brief. I was shocked to see Tom in the bottom over her.

Michelle needs to be replaced with someone else, IMO. She's too uptight. Design should be fun.

Is Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen still part of the show?

Haven’t read the new posts yet. Just doing my own prediction before the judges discuss. I think long ginger hair woman and red glasses northern woman should go. Possibly lawyer woman.

Reactions: 2
Michelle seems one removed from life IYSWIM.

Alan doesn’t seem to be doing as much this time. Not masses of interaction with the contestants.

I am not enjoying this series as much.
I’m wondering about the timing of filming - it seems very sunny and they mentioned it being hot which suggests last Summer when I think he was also filming the series with Amanda Holden in Sicily. Perhaps he wasn’t as involved this year or experiencing burn out from being overworked and going through his divorce?

I agree this series is falling rather flat, the challenges haven’t been as interesting although I always enjoy shop week which is coming up next.

In Episode 4 (28 March), the designers discover they’ll be heading to Harrogate in North Yorkshire to transform three independent shops. Working in teams of two, the designers will be making over either a fashion store, a women’s shoe outlet or a sheepskin shop. Each unit has an individual brief with different requirements but before they can begin, the teams must pitch their plans to the shop owners, who will decide which idea they prefer and nominate a lead designer for each team.

With a budget of £3,000 per shop, a team of tradespeople and only two days to create their designs, the pressure is on. Scrutinising the designs alongside Michelle this week is retail space expert Ross Bailey. Ross and Michelle discover impactful windows, unique design features and extraordinary makeovers, but have the designers thought about the all-important customer journey?

Reactions: 4
Hated the canopy bed. Looked like me and my sister playing tents with my mums sheets when we were kids.

However hated Toms room. Too much mish mash for me.

Didn’t get the Insta woman either.

Love Jack. Every week he’s been my fave.

Reactions: 8
As soon as Joanne pulled that lobster out, I knew she was in trouble. I didn't like Temi's room either - there was something about all the fabric with that hotel room carpet that made me feel a bit icky.

I didn't mind Peter's room but it did fell a bit cold and bleak. Quite liked Tom's apart from those gingham curtains

I liked Monika's! Especially the decoupage wardrobe. But the headboard was a bit crap. Very Changing Rooms

Jack and Ry are just miles ahead of everyone else though

Am I the only one who didn’t like Ry’s room? Those weird blobby cutout bits totally ruined it for me.

When I think back to last year with Banjo and the other lady who came second (she produced amazing bespoke wallpaper) I don't think any of these are anywhere close to that standard. Ry's room was OK compared to the majority of the rest. It bugs me when Michelle says "this is a 5 star hotel so it needs to be of that standard". How are they supposed to produce 5 star quality on a tiny budget in 2 days?!

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.