Interior Design masters

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Im kinda pissed Michelle kicked Ry. I thought Jack and Ry would make it into the final! Now, to me it is pretty obvious who will win the season.
I agree, Ibiza boy should have gone this week!

Reactions: 5
I would have been pissed off if anyone but Ry had gone this week (something I didn't think I'd be saying last week) - he had such a crappy attitude and just couldn't be arsed with it

I actually quite liked Temi this week 😆. Even though they disagreed on pretty much everything, that weirdly seemed to work well for them as a team, just the fact there was no passive aggressive energy there and they were so upfront and got things done. And their shop looked great! So cosy

Reactions: 3
Ry was a good designer but he failed in that challenge and I don’t think he’d last long in the real world with an attitude like that.

He pretty much gave up on his first day and couldn’t find any motivation, just whinged.

He didn’t think through the design properly at all. Even a random on the street told him his shop window sucked and he didn’t listen.

At least Ibiza boy and his partner had passion and worked hard. I’d rather hire someone like that than Ry, to be honest.

Reactions: 6
Yeah I think Ry showed he likes what he likes and that's it. If a project doesn't inspire him then he loses interest, and you can't do that as an interior designer.

Reactions: 6
I do think that Ry failed to show the shoes off, but I’m not sure if I thought he had an attitude problem. He said he was struggling on the first day but then seemed to bounce back. It is any different to Monika constantly saying the nursery challenge was not for her or Tom saying he was really not enjoying the hotel maximalist challenge (which he said a lot)?

I thought the person who mentioned the boxes in the window was one of their tradies. Personally I wasn’t keen on the boxes as I thought they looked clunky but if you looked at Monika’s design, you could barely see into the shop either as she had large boards that clothes were pinned too. Obviously on a different level but you can’t see through Selfridges window displays either, nor most chain high street shops. My issue was the display wasn’t very good and wouldn’t make me want to buy the shoes, although I also thought all the shoes were ugly whereas I wasn’t keen on the bags but Jack did his best to show them off. Hated that weird black and white boa thing on the kissing chair and wondered why it wasn’t picked up on by Michelle.

Tom’s design definitely a stand out, and interesting they picked up on the elements that Temi said she didn’t like and would want to change. The wall of shoes looked great whereas she said she wanted to dramatically reduce the amount of stock they had out.

Reactions: 8
I do think that Ry failed to show the shoes off, but I’m not sure if I thought he had an attitude problem. He said he was struggling on the first day but then seemed to bounce back. It is any different to Monika constantly saying the nursery challenge was not for her or Tom saying he was really not enjoying the hotel maximalist challenge (which he said a lot)?

I thought the person who mentioned the boxes in the window was one of their tradies. Personally I wasn’t keen on the boxes as I thought they looked clunky but if you looked at Monika’s design, you could barely see into the shop either as she had large boards that clothes were pinned too. Obviously on a different level but you can’t see through Selfridges window displays either, nor most chain high street shops. My issue was the display wasn’t very good and wouldn’t make me want to buy the shoes, although I also thought all the shoes were ugly whereas I wasn’t keen on the bags but Jack did his best to show them off. Hated that weird black and white boa thing on the kissing chair and wondered why it wasn’t picked up on by Michelle.

Tom’s design definitely a stand out, and interesting they picked up on the elements that Temi said she didn’t like and would want to change. The wall of shoes looked great whereas she said she wanted to dramatically reduce the amount of stock they had out.
I thought they would say that Tom’s was too busy and crowded … I’m sure designs have been dinged before for having all the stock out, so from that point of view I understood where Temi was going with that. I do wonder how long the sheepskin rug wall with last when it’s been mauled by every sticky handed visitor to the shop, though.

I really thought Monika’s was the worst of the 3 … if contestants don’t know by know that artificial flora is Michelle’s kryptonite then there’s no hope. The drop down tables also looked slightly unstable and took a bit of jiggling to get the leg section in a place where it didn’t look like it would fold in on itself if you put anything heavier than a crisp on it. The back area was awful. The lack of anywhere to actually sit in comfort was, to me, the biggest fail across all 3 shops.

i think Ry and Jack were just completely flummoxed by the shop and stock they had to work with and neither came across as wanting to win the lead designer role so it just ended up being fairly generic … which is perhaps the biggest fail on this show.

Reactions: 8
Yeah I think Ry showed he likes what he likes and that's it. If a project doesn't inspire him then he loses interest, and you can't do that as an interior designer.
to be fair, outside of the show he just wouldn't take them on as a client / they wouldn't approach him as a designer if they didn't like his house style

Reactions: 2
to be fair, outside of the show he just wouldn't take them on as a client / they wouldn't approach him as a designer if they didn't like his house style
True, but you also can't afford to be that fussy until you hit the big time. You need to be able to adapt and sometimes do stuff that doesn't personally interest you. They're looking for a well rounded person and not being able to do retail spaces is a pretty big one. You don't need to have an interest in an item to know the basics of how to display them etc regardless of what they are.

Reactions: 7
True, but you also can't afford to be that fussy until you hit the big time. You need to be able to adapt and sometimes do stuff that doesn't personally interest you. They're looking for a well rounded person and not being able to do retail spaces is a pretty big one. You don't need to have an interest in an item to know the basics of how to display them etc regardless of what they are.
I think they both got hung up on the actual product too much … and you could tell neither of them wanted to be lead designer. If it was a rock, paper, scissors best of they’d still be going. I didn’t actually think it turned out too bad in the end - just generic but that’s obviously a worse design crime than nowhere to sit and fake ivy.

Reactions: 4
i agree! imo with his style being more organic he would've thrived with the sheepskin shop if given the choice. as an example we were able to choose from a range of hospitality or retail briefs for my final first year project, and the one before was fashion retail but we had a list of brands / designers to pick from too.

the shoe shop felt the most limited brief and would be my last choice, purely bc they're awkward to display and there's no variety (don't think tom's wall with pegs would've worked all over or without the visual breakup from sheepskin rugs and clothing etc)

Reactions: 1
the shoe shop felt the most limited brief and would be my last choice, purely bc they're awkward to display and there's no variety (don't think tom's wall with pegs would've worked all over or without the visual breakup from sheepskin rugs and clothing etc)
True. Office and Schuh don’t have the most inspiring layouts or displays.

Reactions: 1
They’re all so meh this year, been a weak season! How the Polish woman scabbed through again is beyond me

Reactions: 5
How Peter is still there is a total mystery! Really liking Tom’s personality this week.

I am not a fan of Ry’s but no way should he have gone home. Monika was the weakest link. Enough of the tears and the bad timekeeping/attention to crucial detail. I know she says she has ADHD but you have to be extra vigilant if that is the case. Clients don’t want to hear the back story of the designers they engage, they just want a fantastic job done. Having ADHD is not a barrier to success, but not working with it, is.

I don’t mind the Irish guy, although he was a bit of a spare part this week.

Team Jack all the way though.

Reactions: 10
Looking forward to tonight's!
Laurence Llewellyn Bowen.
On the Secret Celeb Gossip thread someone met him and said he smells of fresh limes 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Temi should believe in herself more.

Loved the art deco divers on the ceiling but did he spend too much time on them 🤔

I think guy with silly big wardrobe should have gone.

Yeah that wardrobe looked ridiculous. I don't think Peters was that bad.

Reactions: 4
I don't get Michelle saying at the beginning she didn't want cliche beach hut, sorry chalet, decor, then likes the most traditional beach hut design the best. I liked it the most too, but I think she really can give out mixed messages about what she wants tbh.

Reactions: 14
Monika should have gone weeks ago. Every week a mistake. Just because she doesn’t like beaches herself doesn’t mean she she should make that the basis of her designs. A designer has to adapt to client likes. The client doesn’t want to adapt to their designers aversion to certain styles and briefs.

I am finding Michelle drippy as a judge. I want to wind her up, give her some oomph.

Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.