Interior Design masters

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ah, I'm really happy for Roisin! They both did a great job, but Matt's was a bit underwhelming. I especially loved Roisin's master bedroom as she used my favourite colours.

I think tbf to Matt, he was in a bit of a no-win situation with Michelle - he compromised on his own style a bit because of her comments last week and I think if he'd gone all out on his signature style more, if would have had more impact

Can't believe Domhal didn't show up! Even if he was still sulking, it's a bit disrespectful to the finalists

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I knew she would win but that living room was HORRENDOUS. It gave me a headache and I wasn’t even in it! Can someone find the lodges and see if they’re still the same? I can already picture the scallop, bobble, flowery green La Redoute products.

Reactions: 27
Interesting now they got their own product line. Can't they be trusted to decorate somewhere now.

Was it a bar last year?

Reactions: 5
Ah, I'm really happy for Roisin! They both did a great job, but Matt's was a bit underwhelming. I especially loved Roisin's master bedroom as she used my favourite colours.

I think tbf to Matt, he was in a bit of a no-win situation with Michelle - he compromised on his own style a bit because of her comments last week and I think if he'd gone all out on his signature style more, if would have had more impact

Can't believe Domhal didn't show up! Even if he was still sulking, it's a bit disrespectful to the finalists
The comment that Roisin’s lodge was more “happy” made me think that they wanted him to go lighter

To be fair, the corridor was way too dark but I don’t think this is a challenge that was in his favour in general 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 6
The single most important thing, when it comes to interiors, wasn’t mentioned when judging…. What type people will be staying in the lodges, and what will they be looking for?

Reactions: 14
The single most important thing, when it comes to interiors, wasn’t mentioned when judging…. What type people will be staying in the lodges, and what will they be looking for?
Yep another challenge with no client in mind

Reactions: 16
Yep another challenge with no client in mind
I wouldn’t mind it, if they were showcasing the best of the best ideas and celebrating really unique and out-there ideas but they have no budget and no time to do anything!

At the end of every season I wonder why I watch this programme. Matt is the winner in my eyes, he’ll go far.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Interesting final. Very different designs. I think that Matt took the brief to tie the lodge into Blenheim Palace quite literally, clearly Roisin had a looser interpretation. I think what swung it for Roisin was that the judges were looking at the spaces as what someone booking into a holiday lodge in the grounds of BP would be expecting, and how they might use the space.

I imagine people from abroad would look at Roisin’s design and think Laura Ashley, English country garden, afternoon tea, napkins and doilies. Matt’s felt very much less placeable as an aesthetic and I thought his living room furniture looked really formal and uncomfortable. I understand why he chose it, it just didn’t look like somewhere I’d want to sit for any length of time.

I found the black and white quite stark too, and although I appreciated the column and panelling idea, the finishing wasn’t good in places, particularly the paint job. You could totally see that they’d filled the grooves straight away in the hallway as the colour was lighter on the filler.

Rather like Monika in the pub challenge who I seem to remember gold-leafed her bar, the island would get very scratched up very quickly so not at all practical. Likewise having a fire pit type thing sat on an outdoor rug… I think Matt missed a trick not to have a dining table outside too.

I didn’t mind the scallop motif in Roisin’s although wasn’t keen on green again, and rolled my eyes when I saw those bloody picture frames with bobbles again. I weirdly liked the wallpaper and pink cabinets, the rattan lights and the 2 armchairs but didn’t like the yellow. It was just too much and too clashing for my taste.

Matt was definitely the series winner, but I think Roisin edged the final design as it was more country house lodge.

Reactions: 11
I love Roisin but that collection looks like everything they already have in Sainsburys.
I'd love for Matt to design my house for me.

Reactions: 23
Going through her IG is interesting. She seems to use a lot of the same colour combinations and ideas as the ones she used in her parents house

I’m surprised they pick absolute newbies for these sorts of shows tbh. I guess it’s nice to give them a bit of a portfolio but they still have a lot of room to improve and this doesn’t really feel like the show for that

Reactions: 9
Absolutely loved Matts design, sophisticated, masculine yet soft and embracing too.

Roisins was pretty poor, so many loud patterns and clashes. It reminded me of an old person's place in the 90s. I'd hate to stay somewhere like that. Also no progression from week 1 and didn't feel any different to previous designs. Could be anywhere, nothing blenheim related.

Sad he didn't win, but also not surprised.

Matt is the only designer ever out of all the series that i would hire. I love how much thinks about his designs and his style is spot on. Genuinely wonder how much he costs to hire haha

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Absolutely loved Matts design, sophisticated, masculine yet soft and embracing too.

Roisins was pretty poor, so many loud patterns and clashes. It reminded me of an old person's place in the 90s. I'd hate to stay somewhere like that. Also no progression from week 1 and didn't feel any different to previous designs. Could be anywhere, nothing blenheim related.

Sad he didn't win, but also not surprised.

Matt is the only designer ever out of all the series that i would hire. I love how much thinks about his designs and his style is spot on.
I would hire Roisin if I wanted green, florals and velvet. I would hire Matt if I wanted a fresh look at an existing space.
I didn't mind her bedrooms but thought the living space was ghastly. Bisected by a strong yellow against green florals making it jarring.
Also a poor decision to bring in a new judge in the final week. So they saw Roisin's designs and thought 'wow so original' without taking into account she had done the exact same thing for 8 weeks.

Reactions: 11
Both were a miss for me, Roisins' was migraine inducing, Matts was too dark in parts and the finish was poor. I still grieve Anthony

Reactions: 8
Roisin’s floral wallpaper would’ve looked great in the wardrobe, off the main, as an accent but covering the whole bedroom - floor to ceiling - in it would not make for a peaceful, restful sleep.

Also wallpaper in the kitchen? Wouldn’t that peel eventually from the condensation when cooking?

There were things I didn’t like about Matt’s - like the sofas were bad, and the black and white was too stark in the living room. But the bedrooms were definitely 1000x better, felt modern, luxurious and unisex

Reactions: 10
Roisin was the right fit for the prize on offer but that scalloping was bloody awful - childish and cheap looking. She is very one note and just following current trends, they always make a big fuss in this show that it’s “designing not just decorating” but I didn’t see much of that from her. I can see why Matt didn’t win this challenge but he is for sure the better designer and will have a bigger career.

Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.