Influencer Industry

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I hope the "influencer" bubble will burst soon, and that only the ones with genuine talent/knowledge will remain successful. Maybe that's wishful thinking. I do think it's great that the internet and social media have given opportunities to talented people to make a career from their skills, e.g. food bloggers, artists and comedians. However, it's unfortunate that it's also given talentless people the opportunity to make a "career" based on living a shallow, consumerist lifestyle.

Hopefully things are changing though. I sent in a complaint to Gatwick Express about a month ago, as I'd noticed they were advertising their service by paying "influencers" to post about it on Instagram. It just pissed me off because I used the Gatwick Express earlier this year, and I hate to think that the money I (and other ordinary people) spent went into the pockets of these people, who probably got the rest of their holiday paid for as well. It just seems absurd to me that posting a picture of your holiday can be considered "work". To be fair, the response I got from Gatwick Express was quite promising, and they've said management will review their methods of promotion. I hope the tide is turning, and companies will start to realise that influencer marketing isn't the way forward (as I'm not even sure it's particularly effective in business terms anyway).

I think the Coronavirus situation will definitely change society in a big way, and the idea that advertising a life of leisure and luxury is a legitimate choice of career will not sit so well with people anymore.
On the high low podcast (journalists dolly alderton and pandora Sykes talking about culture and current affairs and such) one of them mentioned looking at this daily mail article on the Beckham (against their better judgement). The article had republished all these photos from their various Instagram accounts of them gadding about on their estate in the Cotswolds. As she pointed out though it’s “fair enough, they live there” it felt an incredibly tasteless thing to be posting right now. Most interestingly though, she said the comments weren’t the usual vitriol filled love to hate troll fest but far more sincere and sad. People saying they don’t know how they’re going to pay rent or worried about loved ones they can’t see. They aren’t exactly influencers but it’s a similar thing, this crisis has put what matters into a stark perspective that exposes people like the Beckhams, or many influencers, for the shallow small minded tasteless people they are. And it’s not ‘fun’ to hate them when it’s like that.

Reactions: 10
On the high low podcast (journalists dolly alderton and pandora Sykes talking about culture and current affairs and such) one of them mentioned looking at this daily mail article on the Beckham (against their better judgement). The article had republished all these photos from their various Instagram accounts of them gadding about on their estate in the Cotswolds. As she pointed out though it’s “fair enough, they live there” it felt an incredibly tasteless thing to be posting right now. Most interestingly though, she said the comments weren’t the usual vitriol filled love to hate troll fest but far more sincere and sad. People saying they don’t know how they’re going to pay rent or worried about loved ones they can’t see. They aren’t exactly influencers but it’s a similar thing, this crisis has put what matters into a stark perspective that exposes people like the Beckhams, or many influencers, for the shallow small minded tasteless people they are. And it’s not ‘fun’ to hate them when it’s like that.
I couldn’t agree more with the ‘tasteless’ comment. There are families stuck in high rises, no gardens, crowded and without the funds to do all this crafty bullshit that they’re all flogging. Loads of people have been laid off work and will struggle with bills and there’s Gordon Ramsey moaning he’s never had to cook so much for his family whilst isolating in their Seaside second home. I’m not a fan but at least Jamie Oliver is doing something positive with some ideas on how to cook with limited ingredients. It just feels like this lot are rubbing our noses in it. My ‘word of the moment’ is ‘vacuous’ apparently I’m saying it a lot 😜. This whole ‘Influencer’ thing is vacuous. Pointless. Get a proper job and get your hands dirty 🤬

Reactions: 10
Lurker on Tattle life since December last year, first ever comment right here right now!! I just have to kick things off by saying (cringe) that I actually wanted to be an insta 'influencer' and spent the past 3 years quite frankly in a bubble, pretending to be something/someone i now know i AINT and I am not joking it absolutely done my mental health in...I got to about 4000 followers and actually deleted the whole effin thing, not just deactivated i mean DELETED and i cannot tell you how open my eyes are now. This culture (insult to culture) is absolutely the worst, sure there are some positives like with anything but this influencer shite needs to come to an end, it's making the wrong people the wrong kind of money...and omg the entitled-ness of it all!!! I'll stop there as theres always gonna be more to say, but you are all a breath of fresh air. Real bleeping air and I wish we could all breathe it in!!! *little wave and takes a seat quietly at the back*

• Heart
Reactions: 16
This is quite interesting, the whole influencer thing might never be over. But this current bubble won't continue forever.

Reactions: 2
Scammers the lot of them🤢 it’s definitely a shameless game criminal at points, what gets me is the promotion of these fraud businesses they team up with, anyone remember the furniture business Manchester based who stole massive amounts of money from people twice😳 well that business has set up shop again new name, same set of criminals

Reactions: 5
Seems like the best place to post this news from Australia; at least one country is starting to take serious action.

Any influencer who relies on skincare, supplements or protein powder will need to find a new job.

Influencers will be banned from receiving payment or benefits from spruiking health and wellness products.
274805961_150510454073669_9165244389663554099_n.jpg
274638811_296095085923028_3937862936716858203_n.jpg
274759172_634952960911356_721885889444942738_n.jpg
274602107_1251869408638392_8451170061024907859_n.jpg
274634009_3085829341671320_1633135607808015134_n.jpg

(source The Australian https://www.theaustralian.com.au/)

Article : https://archive.is/XBwN0

So many influencers in the UK promote supplements and skincare so fingers crossed something similar is introduced.

The papers are always going on about something needs to be done about tattle (because it allows opinions that these busisnes entities can't delete), but silent about influencers damaging unregulated actions on society🤦‍♀️

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 471
Seems like the best place to post this news from Australia; at least one country is starting to take serious action.

Any influencer who relies on skincare, supplements or protein powder will need to find a new job.

Influencers will be banned from receiving payment or benefits from spruiking health and wellness products.
View attachment 1088815View attachment 1088816View attachment 1088817View attachment 1088818View attachment 1088819

So many influencers in the UK promote supplements and skincare so fingers crossed something similar is introduced.

The papers are always going on about something needs to be done about tattle because it allows opinions that these buusness entities can't delete, but silent about influencers damaging unregulated actions on society🤦‍♀️
This is great news! I hope it catches on!

• Heart
Reactions: 70
Shares in charcoal face masks plummet in response to the news

• Haha
Reactions: 45
If the UK could follow suit and put all these Insta huns out of business that would be great 🙌🏼

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 119

View attachment 1088815View attachment 1088816View attachment 1088817View attachment 1088818View attachment 1088819

The papers are always going on about something needs to be done about tattle because it allows opinions that these busisnes entities can't delete, but silent about influencers damaging unregulated actions on society🤦‍♀️
ABOUT bleeping TIME!!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
I truly look forward to the time society looks back at influencers with bewilderment that they were subjected to next to no regulation for so long and that anyone who expressed a less than fawning opinion was called a jealous troll.

• Heart
Reactions: 155
Oh this is fantastic!!! Really hope other countries arrive at this decision too 👏👏👏

Reactions: 25

The papers are always going on about something needs to be done about tattle because it allows opinions that these busisnes entities can't delete, but silent about influencers damaging unregulated actions on society🤦‍♀️
I don't have enough words to express how great this is! At least a bit of common sense in this world! What a breathe of fresh air. Can someone move me to Australia now lol? They have the great weather, healthy food and common sense!

I think it was about time though. A lot of influencers keep promoting all these supplements / vitamins etc without at least including a disclaimer to tell their followers to consult their doctor first. It's downright negligent. It might put a lot of content creators out of business, but I think it is important to protect influenceable people out there who certainly do not research the product before purchasing. None of these influencers are qualified professionals.

Last edited:
Reactions: 30

Skincare is fine in my opinion, but promoting weight-loss products when you're followed by kids is dangerous. Some influencers even promote scam numbers and plastic surgeons 😤

Reactions: 25