If you're not from London what do you think of it?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Me and my friend went Ice Skating at the tower of London a few years ago that was really nice, and there's a market on the opposite side of the river. Also Greenwich is lovely for a wander and they'll have a market too.

i’m not from the UK & when I visited London I was so shocked by how much y’all jaywalk 🤣 just went at it like nobody’s business!
🤣 amazing. Guess I never think about it but yeah we do, not illegal here.

London, I hate it. I grew up 10 miles from central London, went to a school inside Greater London so I spend most of my younger years in London as it was free travel. We spent most of our time at a free muesum, along the river or window shopping. Cheap day out.

I now commute in and have for the last 8 years, my uni friends love meeting in London. One moved from Birmingham to here to rent a room for £700/month when she could buy a house up there just because she loves london.

Now I’m older I can think of better things to do with my time that sit on public transport and spend lots of money.

I now live 30 miles away and come the new year won’t need to commute in 🙌🏻

I don’t like crowds and people just don’t care here, they shove and push. It also annoys me how late shops open in the morning, because they stay open late most don’t open before 10.

I absolutely LOVE the place. It seems that every corner you turn, there something interesting/beautiful/exciting to see.

Reactions: 4
Oxford Street, Regent Street and Carnaby Street for the lights. Expect it to be busy but if you can go during the week it may be a bit more bearable.
Selfridges (on Oxford St) always used to have amazing window displays but some years they were a bit weird but maybe that's because I prefer traditional Christmas decs?!
Picadilly circus
Somerset House
I'd suggest to walk everywhere rather than take transport if you can as you're more likely to see random little side streets, shops and attractions that you may miss if you do it all on the underground 😊 definitely wear comfy shoes!

Winter Wonderland at Hyde Park is good to wander through.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will certainly look into those. I'll probably do a bunch of stuff while I'm there. I don't know if any friends will come with me, I'm trying to get one or two to come, but if not I'll go by myself and see what I can get up to. Probably visit Harrods and Fortnum & Mason to check out their Xmas displays and what xmassy products they have available too.

I enjoy London more now as a tourist. I lived there for around 3 years and my commute and living situation just sucked the life out of me eventually. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I was a little bit younger but my boyfriend and I just wanted to be able to live alone, and save up for a house, which we couldn't do despite being on ok salaries. Now I live in another smaller city and I'm so much happier, and have so much more time to do things outside of work and commuting. I love visiting London now and I feel like I go up with the purpose to have a full day out.

Reactions: 1
I'm going to get flamed here I'm sure but I detest London. It's busy, grimy, overpriced. I grew up in Glasgow and now live in the rural outskirts of a market town. We do go to London occasionally as we have friends there but I always can't wait to escape and get home.

Reactions: 3
I really like London, I think its a great city. I love how big it is and how much there is to do. I do think I'd enjoy living there but the expense of living in it puts me off so much. Rent/mortgage is ridiculous, even transport is so expensive. I would get paid more in my job but its not proportional to the rise in accommodation expenses etc. I love to travel and think that would be a sacrifice I'd have to make if I lived there.

It's interesting looking back at history that Winchester and Colchester were both capitals of England at one time, yet it was London that became today's capital. I do wish that London had a smaller population. 4m instead of 9m, would be far, far better. It still blows my mind that London has a larger population than Scotland and Wales combined. Insanity.

Reactions: 5
I love London but to visit, not to live. There's a fantastic buzz about it but a weekend is enough for me. Have had some of the best times of my life there so will always come back for visits. The water is absolutely shocking though, hard as rock

I love to visit as a tourist, I've been a few times and there's always something different to see and do, more so than in other big cities. I wouldn't want to live there though.

Reactions: 2
I love London but to visit, not to live. There's a fantastic buzz about it but a weekend is enough for me. Have had some of the best times of my life there so will always come back for visits. The water is absolutely shocking though, hard as rock
True about the water. If I am away my hair always looks cleaner for longer and softer. Get back and my hair is greasy in a day and feels dry at the same time.

Reactions: 5
I'm currently in Brighton - whilst I honestly love the beach I'm surprised that travel on the buses is actually more pricer than London (without the resident discount ) and I'm not used to trains only coming every 20 mins. Longest wait so far has been for 40 mins as one was cancelled and the pavements are so much narrower that it's hard to walk in pairs down the majority of them with other people too.

Loads more quirky people here though, which I love and you'd not see so much in London bar Carmden mainly.

London aquarium tickets for an adult are at £22 instead of London's premium price of £27.

People though are so much friendlier- one cashier added a student discount for my sister and gave her a free tote bag without us even asking. Another started chatting with her about the product she had bought. The Macdonald's wasn't manic. In the music shop the ownder also gave us a 10 % discount off the instrument and there were no listed deals instore either. There's definitely something in the water. 🧐

I love it! I’m 45 minutes away and I used to visit a lot, haven’t so much the last year or 2 though. I love the energy there, I even love that it’s filthy 😂 I love just hanging out there especially in the spring time, even if I have no plans or anything specific to do there I just love it 😍

Reactions: 2
I enjoy it for a day trip and shopping but really don't get the obsession with living there. There are much nicer cities and towns to live in that are less polluted and expensive.

I always get black bogies after visiting :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I don't mind the occasional visit, but I couldn't live there. I'm always glad when I'm on the train out.

My theory is the born and bred Londoners are more tolerant. It's the ones who've moved as adults who tend to be rude - e.g. pushing people out of the way on the Tube escalators - mainly because they think that's the 'done' thing among locals and want to be seen as part of them. :D

I did it once as a tourist (ran down the escalators past people who were stood waiting) but then it was awkward because I missed a train and had to stand on the same platform as all the people I'd passed.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Love London, fave city in the UK. Although maybe I'm biased because I don't live there and only go for fun. So much to do and I like the vibes.

I lived in London for 16 years and loved it...was there for a year early 90's for uni but dropped out and came back home...moved back down from Glasgow at the end of the 90's with £150 and no job, had one within a week...mate I crashed with was unemployed so always found the good free things you could do...think it's sad that there is no way you could do that nowadays unless you have rich parents and admire anyone who is a student there..moved home (small town outside Glasgow) a few years back as I didn't get on the property ladder (too busy enjoying myself haha) and rents were getting stupid...didn't want to move to the suburbs, what's the point when I could come back to Scotland and have bought a property with a garden which I would never have been able to do there...never had any hassle or trouble and used to get night buses home on my own...miss the availability of culture when you want it, the anonymity of the city, the variety, the great public transport and the Vietnamese food places in Dalston lol...

Every time time this thread pops up I keep hearing "London baby!" in my head

• Haha
I've never really experienced the rudeness in London. Then again, maybe because I've never been in London during the busiest periods when people are trying to get to and leave work. Generally people have always been quite receptive whenever I've said hi or smiled at them in passing.