If you're not from London what do you think of it?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've only been in the tourist areas. Nothing too bad just very busy and feel like you can't stop and look at things sometimes.

I’m from Greater London (a London borough) and I already hate it here 😂 way too busy for my liking. I couldn’t even fathom Living in the city, apart from the fact that there are so many great shops there

Reactions: 2
I love it but every time I go I find the air pollution very noticeable.
just found this thread and as a Londoner who was born here I am finding it so interesting! totally agree about the pollution, I have family in North Wales and getting off the train the difference in air is SO obvious, that was the best thing about lockdown here, the air quality really improved a lot, sadly it hasn't lasted

I love London. I love strolling along the thames, looking round the shops, drinking and eating in the nice bars. It's very cosmopolitan and Londoners seem to be more aspirational than say people in somewhere like Burnley. The transport system in London is the best in the country (except for their mandatory face mask policy 😠). I like how even the suburbs are bustling and you could have a day out visiting each suburb on their own i.e. Camden, Hampstead, Islington. What I don't like though is most place only take card payment and some places are a little obsessed with reservations when you go out to eat.

Reactions: 3
I love London, I used to really want to move there. I only had one crappy experience when I was trying to scan my Oyster card coming out of a tube station and it wasn't working and every person coming out just ignored me and reached around me to scan their own. It's like I was invisible and I was baffled that not one person stopped to help.

It's been a while since I last went but I'm hoping to go with a friend in December to see a show, which is exciting because I've never been in London around Christmas time! I know it will be a lot busier but I can't wait to see all the lights!

Reactions: 1
I do love London but I’d never ever live there.

It’s a cliche but northerners are so much friendlier. Too much rushing in London and it’s true when they say nobody smiles on the tube!

Manchester over London any day for me.

I do love London but I’d never ever live there.

It’s a cliche but northerners are so much friendlier. Too much rushing in London and it’s true when they say nobody smiles on the tube!

Manchester over London any day for me.
I find it weird that people expect to be smiled at on the tube 🤣🤣 why would I smile at a random stranger who I don’t know

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
It has a definite 'buzz'. Can't describe it. But so dirty and the air genuinely feels like smog at times. People are in a rush and you are in their way. Weird mix of people being really cold and unfriendly and what I assume must be an eastend / Cockney / Londoner characteristic of being almost aggressively in your face friendly and generous and upfront. I get completely charmed by it, it's so likeable. I can't really describe what I mean!

I grew up somewhere that looked like a Warburton's advert so still find the 'big city' overwhelming. Figuring out routes and stops on tube seems designed to give people a nervous breakdown, but I see natives casually hopping on and off tubes and skipping platform to platform like it's nothing. Things are really expensive. There's more push and ambition and just a sense of this is where things happen and get started. Your snot turns black after a day there.

I find it weird that people expect to be smiled at on the tube 🤣🤣 why would I smile at a random stranger who I don’t know
I went down to collect my sister from work today. There was a girl who had been in my class throughout secondary school and I haven’t seen her in years. I didn’t smile at her or say hi either because we weren’t even close.

Random guy walking with his dog (rufus) today which stopped to look at me got a hi back because his dog was cute and so was he 😂.

• Haha
It has some really ugly buildings. The skyline has been ruined, especially with the big toe one!
I’ve been several times over the years and I don’t know how to explain it well but more and more recently I’ve found that each group keeps to itself more and more. It’s become a bit us vs them and people stick to their own whereas I remember going in the 90s and early 00’s and everyone seemed to gel better?
I think it’s very expensive too and it’s such a shame that the everyday Londoner is being pushed out because the ridiculous price rises.
I feel kinda envious of America as they have all these great cities and the cities we have here I’m not a fan of 😂

I went down to collect my sister from work today. There was a girl who had been in my class throughout secondary school and I haven’t seen her in years. I didn’t smile at her or say hi either because we weren’t even close.

Random guy walking with his dog (rufus) today which stopped to look at me got a hi back because his dog was cute and so was he 😂.
I think with dogs/pets in general people are just more friendly, I know most of my nieghbours (that I do now) as a result of my pets (I live in London) and whenever I have had to take my cats ot the vet etc on public transport people always make conversation about them
ETA not that people who own pets are more friendly, but when people see people with animals they are

Reactions: 4

I would be the same 🤣🤣 I avoid eye contact especially with people I know but don’t want to talk too 😅
To be fair, I know loads of people say we’re not friendly and don’t say hello and that but the second you smile at a random person if it’s a fella he thinks you’re into him and you spend the rest of your journey refusing to give your number sooo that might be why we’re like this 🤷🏽‍♀️

Some people don’t even acknowledge you’re there. We spent a weekend in London with a pram and I nearly fainted when one person asked if we needed a help with the pram in the station as back up north it’s just so common! 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Heart
From a tourist's perspective, it's my favourite city. Meaning, having the free time and disposable cash to wander where you like and do anything you want, London is the place I miss the most when I'm away from it for a long time. I doubt I'd find it as comforting and entertaining if I had to make do with a tight budget, put up with the hectic commute and rush hours after working all day and if I couldn't live/stay wherever I wanted.

I can imagine London being extremely unfriendly and unforgiving when you're not living like a tourist (or a rich influencer lol), which was mainly the reason why I refused a low paying job offer, despite the fact it would have meant that I could move to the UK and to my favourite place. As much as I love London, I didn't want to struggle to the point where I've started to resent it. When I'm visiting for pleasure, I love that I can adjust the pace of the city to my liking. I take my time, live slowly, spend time at my favourite corners and have the luxury to skip something that I don't fancy doing.

If I could live there like a millionaire, I wouldn't think twice, but until I win the lottery, I'll have to settle for saving up for it and treating myself to 'my' London for a short period of time.

• Heart
seriously thinking of moving there for uni but i've never been ... in general i could take it or leave it, i like my nice tap water and fresh air but it's the only course like it in the country. a friend from college is already down there so i'd probably be living with her and not as lonely! i think private rent on a student loan might make me hate it and i could see myself moving back up straight after graduation tbh.

I smile on the tube but then people think I'm mental!
seriously thinking of moving there for uni but i've never been ... in general i could take it or leave it, i like my nice tap water and fresh air but it's the only course like it in the country. a friend from college is already down there so i'd probably be living with her and not as lonely! i think private rent on a student loan might make me hate it and i could see myself moving back up straight after graduation tbh.
Maybe have a visit to the area your friends living in to get a feel for it before you commit to anything!

I like visiting but I couldn’t live there long term

very convenient - love how accessible everything is

I grew up in outskirts of London, was always partying and shopping there when I was younger and reckless. Was a fantastic city but in the last 10 years changed massively. My partner lives in Shoreditch and I do enjoy the markets, food and friendly people.

However after moving to South west England 3 years ago I have realised country life is so peaceful. No sirens, extremely welcoming neighbours and no pollution. As someone else mentioned when I come back to London the closer I get, the dirtier the air feels.

London is great for a weekend or two but I would never live there again, I think people are either city dwellers or not. I'm definitely a born again county bumpkin :D