If you're not from London what do you think of it?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was born and I lived in London for 40 years. London was amazing but the tourist part of London isn't full of Londoners but tourists and commuters rushing to work. the outskirts of London are amazingly friendly or they were, but now most Londoners have moved away. My whole family were born and bred in London we all lived in the same area, both sets of grandparents lived within a 2 min walk but the only one remaining out of all of us is my brother, we have 100s of aunties, uncles, cousins etc all moved away. I moved out 23 years ago and even then London was not full of Londoners, but from people all over the world and from all over the UK.

There are no communities in London anymore and that trend is spreading. Not many areas that those who were born somewhere can afford to live there once they marry or leave home.

I moved out 23 years ago and even then London was not full of Londoners, but from people all over the world and from all over the UK.
Aren't they Londoners by virtue of the fact they live in London? Doesn't having a cosmopolitan citizenship make it a more interesting place?

Reactions: 4
I was born and I lived in London for 40 years. London was amazing but the tourist part of London isn't full of Londoners but tourists and commuters rushing to work. the outskirts of London are amazingly friendly or they were, but now most Londoners have moved away. My whole family were born and bred in London we all lived in the same area, both sets of grandparents lived within a 2 min walk but the only one remaining out of all of us is my brother, we have 100s of aunties, uncles, cousins etc all moved away. I moved out 23 years ago and even then London was not full of Londoners, but from people all over the world and from all over the UK.

There are no communities in London anymore and that trend is spreading. Not many areas that those who were born somewhere can afford to live there once they marry or leave home.
i dont know where you lived in London but to say there are no communities is ridiculous. i was born in london but now live in a totally different part of the city. i know my neighbours, we organise projects together to improve our surrounding area. there is very much a sense of community here. as someone else here has said, the diversity of london is what makes it a great place

Reactions: 3
Aren't they Londoners by virtue of the fact they live in London? Doesn't having a cosmopolitan citizenship make it a more interesting place?
I never said it didn't I was trying to explain (maybe poorly) why you cannot compare London with the north any more than you can compare London with the South.

i dont know where you lived in London but to say there are no communities is ridiculous. i was born in london but now live in a totally different part of the city. i know my neighbours, we organise projects together to improve our surrounding area. there is very much a sense of community here. as someone else here has said, the diversity of london is what makes it a great place
OK maybe "no community" is wrong but certainly nothing like it was when I was young. I also never said it wasn't a great place.

I’m from Manchester but go to London at least once a year to sightsee and stay over. I love London and feel strangely at home ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Yeah, the black snots are grim. I call them tube snots. Always have to clean my nose when i get back from London.

I think its a little unfair, that Londonders get a hard time of being unfriendly. Its a mad pace in the city, the buzz and rush. Lots of tourism, lots of work, shopping, its actually small but overcrowded. When darting about from work or shopping, I probably looked grumpy and unfriendly too 😂

• Heart
Yeah, the black snots are grim. I call them tube snots. Always have to clean my nose when i get back from London.

I think its a little unfair, that Londonders get a hard time of being unfriendly. Its a mad pace in the city, the buzz and rush. Lots of tourism, lots of work, shopping, its actually small but overcrowded. When darting about from work or shopping, I probably looked grumpy and unfriendly too 😂
Thank you 🤣 I don’t think I’m unfriendly. If anybody asks for help with a pushchair or directions and whatever I’d give it but you’re right I’m usually rushing around, don’t notice people and am focused on where I’d need to get too 😅😅

Thank you 🤣 I don’t think I’m unfriendly. If anybody asks for help with a pushchair or directions and whatever I’d give it but you’re right I’m usually rushing around, don’t notice people and am focused on where I’d need to get too 😅😅
Its totally a rat race and you have to focus 😂 I worked on oxford street, and getting from the store to the tube at christmas time was like a military operation. All smiles until im out the door onto Oxford st, then its head down and weave my way through the crowds at pace so i dont get stuck behind hundreds of strollers 😂

I miss the buzz of living, working & partying in London!

• Heart
  • Haha
I did enjoy visiting London when I went and would go again. My stereotypical view on London though is it’s either ridiculously priced and posh or council flats where you get stabbed 🤪 I would never in a million years move there to live on either side.

• Haha
I did enjoy visiting London when I went and would go again. My stereotypical view on London though is it’s either ridiculously priced and posh or council flats where you get stabbed 🤪 I would never in a million years move there to live on either side.
Noooo 😂 its definitely not that bad!

I wonder if it's only in central London, where the main sights are, that people get the black snot and symptoms of the pollution. Does this occur outside of central london, such as in North London and the 'greener' parts?

I wonder if it's only in central London, where the main sights are, that people get the black snot and symptoms of the pollution. Does this occur outside of central london, such as in North London and the 'greener' parts?
I think its just the tubes, how dusty and grimey those tunnels are 🤢 i dont get the black snots if im there by bus but get them every time from the tube.

Reactions: 1
I mean I live in south London and travel on the tube often and I can confirm this has never happened to me 😅😅

• Haha
Reactions: 1
I think its just the tubes, how dusty and grimey those tunnels are 🤢 i dont get the black snots if im there by bus but get them every time from the tube.
yeah I agree, my mum moved here in the 70s and then it was apparently basically whenever you went outside :sick: because of all the pollution. Really don;t think it is the same now

If you get the black snot thing there, wouldn't it be like smoking every day even if you don't touch cigarettes?

If you get the black snot thing there, wouldn't it be like smoking every day even if you don't touch cigarettes?
we have aa really high level of lung issues nowadays. asthma among children especially has skyrocketed

I'll be honest I experienced this after I came back to London after a week in Brighton with my sister. A good deal of our time was spent walking on/ along the beach.