IBS/IBD sufferers...

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Okay. It's gross but doable.

Make your moviprep and put it in the fridge so it's ice cold. Drink it through a straw and get it right back on your throat so it avoids those taste buds. Get yourself a wedge of lime and suck on it after every sip.

Buy moist tissue paper wipes as your hole is gonna hurt from all the wiping.

I basically only eat all the stuff that's on your approved list for a week before so theres not too much to clear. Once your poo is running clear you can stop drinking the prep.

I have these twice a year so I see myself as an unfortunate expert.

Next time you have one ask for picolax instead.
Oh I didn’t get an approved food list! Was told could have breakfast as normal and then only the moviprep and clear liquids after 12.30 the day before.

Oh really!? That's odd.

I've attached what's usually on mine.
You angel, thank you so much for sharing.
No fruit, veg or porridge for a week will be quite the task. Chocolate isn’t on either list…

I’m sorry to hear you go through this twice a year. I can’t imagine it ever gets easier to endure. Do you find it takes time to recover after too, or are you business as usual once the procedure is done?

Reactions: 1
You angel, thank you so much for sharing.
No fruit, veg or porridge for a week will be quite the task. Chocolate isn’t on either list…

I’m sorry to hear you go through this twice a year. I can’t imagine it ever gets easier to endure. Do you find it takes time to recover after too, or are you business as usual once the procedure is done?
I usually bounce back pretty quickly. Tbh the worst thing about it imo is the prep.

Thanks my love 🥰
You will be absolutely fine and I hope you find the answers you're looking for.

• Heart
I've got my first colonoscopy on Wednesday and I've been told to only eat the "approved" foods from Sunday onwards.

I usually bounce back pretty quickly. Tbh the worst thing about it imo is the prep.

Thanks my love 🥰
You will be absolutely fine and I hope you find the answers you're looking for.
Oh me too. I almost don’t even care what the results are as long as it is something definitive that I can work with. The way my life is limited at the moment is becoming impossible to endure. A week of rice krispies and mash is a small price to pay.

I've got my first colonoscopy on Wednesday and I've been told to only eat the "approved" foods from Sunday onwards.
Gosh i was so impressed by the very lovely gastroenterologist today but now I’m a little furious that I wasn’t given any guidance re pre-prep diet!

Some colonoscopies are less invasive as they only want to look at the lower part of the colon meaning it doesn't need to be completely clear which I guess why the diet might not be as intense.

Oh me too. I almost don’t even care what the results are as long as it is something definitive that I can work with. The way my life is limited at the moment is becoming impossible to endure. A week of rice krispies and mash is a small price to pay.

Gosh i was so impressed by the very lovely gastroenterologist today but now I’m a little furious that I wasn’t given any guidance re pre-prep diet!
I’m going to send a quick email to gastro to see what he recommends but reckon if a five day prep diet is optimal then I may as well. An excuse to eat buttery white toast! Thanks so much for all the advice ❤

oh didn’t mean to quote myself ! @Blahblah93 thank you.

• Heart
Hello, I feel like I’m hijacking a bit but this is a thread that might actually have some helpful advice!

I have kind of ‘self-diagnosed IBS’. I’ve suffered a lot with anxiety which tends to be very physical in nature. At the risk of being really TMI, my bowel movements are rarely normal and pretty much always loose, but it goes hand in hand with my moods and anxiety levels, so I think I just wear my anxiety very physically. I try to take probiotics and I was on SSRIs (reducing off then at the moment) and I sort of have my own ‘normal’.

Anyway, I’ve been away on holiday and I’ve eaten something that’s disagreed with me (as has my husband) and we’ve both had diarrhoea since Saturday night, mine worse than his. Whilst we were on holiday I took Imodium just so I could leave the hotel. Yesterday we lived on a very light diet of toast and I don’t feel like I’m getting any better, in fact I now have more stomach cramps than I did. Every trip to the toilet is pretty unpleasant, shall we say. We’re trying to stay hydrated, I’ve had a supermarket’s own Actimel today alongside my probiotic pills. I’m starting to get hangry but I don’t fancy any more quick fire trips to the toilet than I’m already dealing with. There’s been no vomiting (which I’m grateful for as I’m emetophobic) but I feel really sick today.

I cannot stand the taste, smell or texture of bananas which of course seem to be Dr Google’s number one food stuff for people in my situation. Can anyone recommend anything (food, OTC meds, herbal remedies, interpretive dance) to help me out? I don’t want to take any more Imodium because I’d like whatever is causing me so much upset to get out of my system as quickly as possible!

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
Hello, I feel like I’m hijacking a bit but this is a thread that might actually have some helpful advice!

I have kind of ‘self-diagnosed IBS’. I’ve suffered a lot with anxiety which tends to be very physical in nature. At the risk of being really TMI, my bowel movements are rarely normal and pretty much always loose, but it goes hand in hand with my moods and anxiety levels, so I think I just wear my anxiety very physically. I try to take probiotics and I was on SSRIs (reducing off then at the moment) and I sort of have my own ‘normal’.

Anyway, I’ve been away on holiday and I’ve eaten something that’s disagreed with me (as has my husband) and we’ve both had diarrhoea since Saturday night, mine worse than his. Whilst we were on holiday I took Imodium just so I could leave the hotel. Yesterday we lived on a very light diet of toast and I don’t feel like I’m getting any better, in fact I now have more stomach cramps than I did. Every trip to the toilet is pretty unpleasant, shall we say. We’re trying to stay hydrated, I’ve had a supermarket’s own Actimel today alongside my probiotic pills. I’m starting to get hangry but I don’t fancy any more quick fire trips to the toilet than I’m already dealing with. There’s been no vomiting (which I’m grateful for as I’m emetophobic) but I feel really sick today.

I cannot stand the taste, smell or texture of bananas which of course seem to be Dr Google’s number one food stuff for people in my situation. Can anyone recommend anything (food, OTC meds, herbal remedies, interpretive dance) to help me out? I don’t want to take any more Imodium because I’d like whatever is causing me so much upset to get out of my system as quickly as possible!
Are you sure it’s something you ate and not the water or maybe even an infection/parasite? You may need to go to a doctor. Sometimes severe cases require antibiotics.

I’m so sorry you’re going through all this and your holiday has been ruined. I hear you on the anxiety front too. It’s so hard to tackle physical and mental health all at once but they’re all so connected it’s impossible to separate.

I know my doc hates immodium - like you, always advises you let the bad stuff out if it wants out! Please make sure you’re hydrating and maybe take something like Dioralyte too.
I wish I could be more help.

Cooled boiled water to drink . I agree to try and get everything out to run its course and that immodium can cause a different kind of stomach ache in some people.

You need to replace salts and sugars . If I've had the shits , I nibble on crisps or nuts , although I appreciate not everyone will feel up to eating them .

Are you sure it’s something you ate and not the water or maybe even an infection/parasite? You may need to go to a doctor. Sometimes severe cases require antibiotics.

I’m so sorry you’re going through all this and your holiday has been ruined. I hear you on the anxiety front too. It’s so hard to tackle physical and mental health all at once but they’re all so connected it’s impossible to separate.

I know my doc hates immodium - like you, always advises you let the bad stuff out if it wants out! Please make sure you’re hydrating and maybe take something like Dioralyte too.
I wish I could be more help.
It could be a parasite I suppose, hard to know. We think it came from an undercooked burger and is food poisoning of some sort, as my own stomach problems started a few hours after eating in a burger restaurant (that looked, at least, to be clean and reputable but you just never know!). We were on bottled water only when we were there (including for teeth cleaning), lots of hand washing/sanitiser etc. I think my stomach is a little delicate as a result of having a ‘nervous stomach’, but my husband generally has a strong constitution. Despite also suffering from anxiety, his stomach/bowels are never affected by his moods in the way mine are!

We were still able to enjoy the holiday, we were just a little hampered by dodgy bellies! It’s not the worst I’ve ever felt or anything, it’s just been quite prolonged and doesn’t seem to be getting any better which is weird.

Thanks so much for replying!

It could be a parasite I suppose, hard to know. We think it came from an undercooked burger and is food poisoning of some sort, as my own stomach problems started a few hours after eating in a burger restaurant (that looked, at least, to be clean and reputable but you just never know!). We were on bottled water only when we were there (including for teeth cleaning), lots of hand washing/sanitiser etc. I think my stomach is a little delicate as a result of having a ‘nervous stomach’, but my husband generally has a strong constitution. Despite also suffering from anxiety, his stomach/bowels are never affected by his moods in the way mine are!

We were still able to enjoy the holiday, we were just a little hampered by dodgy bellies! It’s not the worst I’ve ever felt or anything, it’s just been quite prolonged and doesn’t seem to be getting any better which is weird.

Thanks so much for replying!
A week is a long time to not see any improvement at all, how is hubby now?
Peppermint tea can help with nausea. If nothing else, warm liquids are comforting I think. Hot water bottles too. But if you’re prone to a nervy tummy you probably know all this anyway.

I know it’s easier said than done but be careful with dr google. I drove myself demented earlier this year when my tummy started flaring. Everyone had their own magic remedies and foods to avoid. Too much information can be a dangerous thing. And when also prone to anxiety it’s overwhelming. My sick tummy made me anxious and my anxiety made my tummy worse. It’s vicious.

If you’re still feeling very unwell, temperature or fever then I really would contact a doctor if you can at all.

A week is a long time to not see any improvement at all, how is hubby now?
Peppermint tea can help with nausea. If nothing else, warm liquids are comforting I think. Hot water bottles too. But if you’re prone to a nervy tummy you probably know all this anyway.

I know it’s easier said than done but be careful with dr google. I drove myself demented earlier this year when my tummy started flaring. Everyone had their own magic remedies and foods to avoid. Too much information can be a dangerous thing. And when also prone to anxiety it’s overwhelming. My sick tummy made me anxious and my anxiety made my tummy worse. It’s vicious.

If you’re still feeling very unwell, temperature or fever then I really would contact a doctor if you can at all.
He’s about the same, he has less stomach cramps than I do, but hasn’t seen much improvement in his trips to the toilet, and has been on the same toast diet as I have. I hear you about google for sure! At one point it suggested I had dysentery so at that point I gave up on it, haha! Between that and ‘you can only be fixed if you eat a banana’ I was done! I do love a mint tea so I’ll get some fresh mint in when I can and use the teabags till then. I’m not so unwell I can’t work and there’s no fever anymore (first night of this I woke up in an actual pool of my own sweat which was alarming! But nothing of the sort since), but I’ll see how today goes with some mint tea and give 111 a call if I need to. This happened the last time I went on holiday to a lesser extent but by the time I was back in the country (and it was a shorter holiday) I was totally back to normal. It is hard to know if the SSRI reduction, which ok actively on, is playing a little part in it all as well. Always hard when there’s a few different possible things happening at once, isn’t it?!

• Heart
He’s about the same, he has less stomach cramps than I do, but hasn’t seen much improvement in his trips to the toilet, and has been on the same toast diet as I have. I hear you about google for sure! At one point it suggested I had dysentery so at that point I gave up on it, haha! Between that and ‘you can only be fixed if you eat a banana’ I was done! I do love a mint tea so I’ll get some fresh mint in when I can and use the teabags till then. I’m not so unwell I can’t work and there’s no fever anymore (first night of this I woke up in an actual pool of my own sweat which was alarming! But nothing of the sort since), but I’ll see how today goes with some mint tea and give 111 a call if I need to. This happened the last time I went on holiday to a lesser extent but by the time I was back in the country (and it was a shorter holiday) I was totally back to normal. It is hard to know if the SSRI reduction, which ok actively on, is playing a little part in it all as well. Always hard when there’s a few different possible things happening at once, isn’t it?!
Oh heavens yes. But if hubby is still complaining too then it sounds like you both got the same dose. His tum is obviously just a bit more resilient than yours so he’s not struggling as much. Sometimes these things just take time to clear out (pardon the pun!) and i am reassured that you’re not getting actively worse. Wanting to eat and being terrified of eating is such a horrid place to be. Please keep me posted? I’m invested now!

• Heart
Oh heavens yes. But if hubby is still complaining too then it sounds like you both got the same dose. His tum is obviously just a bit more resilient than yours so he’s not struggling as much. Sometimes these things just take time to clear out (pardon the pun!) and i am reassured that you’re not getting actively worse. Wanting to eat and being terrified of eating is such a horrid place to be. Please keep me posted? I’m invested now!
Bless you, you are really lovely! This is Tattle and everyone is supposed to be really mean, remember?! Hahaha I joke, of course, I’ve actually never found it like that at all!

• Heart
Bless you, you are really lovely! This is Tattle and everyone is supposed to be really mean, remember?! Hahaha I joke, of course, I’ve actually never found it like that at all!
Oh god me neither. This place has been a home from home for me. I imagine it all depends on what threads you frequent and your intentions/motivations. But anywhere there is about shared experience and interest seems to only be warm and welcoming ❤

• Heart
Yeah a week is a long time to still feel grim from food poisoning. Are you still away? If you're in a hot country be careful as you can become dehydrated very quickly. It might be worth a little trip to the doctors as you may need some antibiotics.

Drink lots of water. Peppermint tea is good. Don't worry too much if you're not eating too much just try little and often.

• Heart
Yeah a week is a long time to still feel grim from food poisoning. Are you still away? If you're in a hot country be careful as you can become dehydrated very quickly. It might be worth a little trip to the doctors as you may need some antibiotics.

Drink lots of water. Peppermint tea is good. Don't worry too much if you're not eating too much just try little and often.
We are back, it was v. hot but we took hydration very seriously indeed, haha! I felt like I was on some sort of intrepid exploration rather than a regular person’s holiday, hehe.

will continue the hydration and add in mint tea and see how things go over the next couple of days!

• Heart
We are back, it was v. hot but we took hydration very seriously indeed, haha! I felt like I was on some sort of intrepid exploration rather than a regular person’s holiday, hehe.

will continue the hydration and add in mint tea and see how things go over the next couple of days!
Ah great! I hope you still managed to have a lovely holiday?

Bowels are annoying.

• Heart
  • Haha