IBS/IBD sufferers...

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes colonoscopy about 4 years ago when he had private healthcare through his old work and found nothing out of the ordinary but it has since become a lot worse.
No dr has mentioned a pill cam not sure if those are widely available on nhs here (Scotland) they have just basically said there is nothing more they can do except refer to gastroenterologist
My CRP has always been normal even when in flare. Ask for a pill cam it's likely his small bowel or a redo of the colonoscopy. I'd recommend joining the crohn's and colitis group on Facebook 'Crohn's & Colitis UK Forum' there is a lot of people with a huge amount of knowledge about how to get the doctors to look more etc. If it gets too bad go to A and E.

Reactions: 1
Yes colonoscopy about 4 years ago when he had private healthcare through his old work and found nothing out of the ordinary but it has since become a lot worse.
No dr has mentioned a pill cam not sure if those are widely available on nhs here (Scotland) they have just basically said there is nothing more they can do except refer to gastroenterologist
GPs don't usually have access to the pill cam. Sometimes GPs can be a blocker for getting the right tests, push for the referral as much as you can. Log symptoms, get copies of blood tests etc.

Reading all these issues you’re having and I’m sorry to all those going through it.
Spent some time reading through this thread and although I’ve never been diagnosed, I’ve had stomach issues my whole life. I also have Fibro so it’s hard to distinguish symptoms sometimes. My question is this - is it better to try and amend diet/stress levels first before getting investigated. I’ve had a couple bouts of food poisoning recently but I know my diet is terrible 😞 this may be a reaction to it, knowing I need to get my sh!t together (pardon the pun! Lol)

Reading all these issues you’re having and I’m sorry to all those going through it.
Spent some time reading through this thread and although I’ve never been diagnosed, I’ve had stomach issues my whole life. I also have Fibro so it’s hard to distinguish symptoms sometimes. My question is this - is it better to try and amend diet/stress levels first before getting investigated. I’ve had a couple bouts of food poisoning recently but I know my diet is terrible 😞 this may be a reaction to it, knowing I need to get my sh!t together (pardon the pun! Lol)
When I changed to a good diet due to being overweight and type 2 diabetic I went the complete opposite to soooo constipated I wished so badly I could go get it out. I'd rather the runs than that but now I'm back eating normally and embarrassingly soiling myself at night if I dare break wind. Having to get up and got the the bathroom each time just in case is annoying when I'm trying to sleep.

I have coeliac disease, but I also believe I have IBS as well, although not formally diagnosed.

I’ve gone through an awful bout of constipation recently. Bleeding every time that I’ve been to the toilet 🙁!

The only thing I could work out that might be a trigger is a lack of fibre due to the coeliac disease. I’ve introduced loads more fruit and I’m not confident, but I think it’s working a little bit, although I’m still getting some bleeding.

The worst thing is our toilet in work is one cubicle for women and there are around 8 women in the office at once, but the toilet is just behind a door in reception so if you even have a wee, people can hear everything! I’ve resorted to going to the shops on my lunch to use a supermarket or cinema toilet😫. I can’t rush as it makes it worse, so I need be somewhere where I can have privacy!

• Heart
I've had IBS for about ten years now, and I'm being sent for an urgent colonoscopy in the next couple of weeks due to stomach pain waking me up at night. I've never had one before and I'm terrified. 🫣

I've had IBS for about ten years now, and I'm being sent for an urgent colonoscopy in the next couple of weeks due to stomach pain waking me up at night. I've never had one before and I'm terrified. 🫣
I had one last year and prep was worse than the procedure. They give you sedation which makes you feel mildly drunk, but you’re with it throughout. Then, later that day, you’ll realise you’ve forgotten most of it.

Reactions: 2
I had one last year and prep was worse than the procedure. They give you sedation which makes you feel mildly drunk, but you’re with it throughout. Then, later that day, you’ll realise you’ve forgotten most of it.
This was my experience too. The prep was the worst part honestly. The rest was a breeze. Definitely opt for sedation though even though I probably could’ve done it without I think the sedation was nice 🤣

This was my experience too. The prep was the worst part honestly. The rest was a breeze. Definitely opt for sedation though even though I probably could’ve done it without I think the sedation was nice 🤣
I've mentioned before the prep gave me seizures so the procedure didn't go ahead. I didn't know you could be sedated for it though, they never said that to me. I don't know if I'm brave enough to try and go for it again. They said I'd have to stay in hospital the night before to take the prep because of what happened last time, imagine that toilet wise! Still having a lot of problems soiling which is a nightmare.

• Wow
I've mentioned before the prep gave me seizures so the procedure didn't go ahead. I didn't know you could be sedated for it though, they never said that to me. I don't know if I'm brave enough to try and go for it again. They said I'd have to stay in hospital the night before to take the prep because of what happened last time, imagine that toilet wise! Still having a lot of problems soiling which is a nightmare.
Oh bless you. That’s not nice ☹ I know that sometimes they give enemas to those that can’t tolerate or haven’t cleared out properly but you run the risk of them not having a great view or getting far enough through the test. I hope everything goes ok for you!

Oh bless you. That’s not nice ☹ I know that sometimes they give enemas to those that can’t tolerate or haven’t cleared out properly but you run the risk of them not having a great view or getting far enough through the test. I hope everything goes ok for you!
I don't even think I was cleared out properly because after the seizures I was kept in and was going to the toilet like crazy. Thanks for your reply.

Christ! When was this? A friend of mine gets them regularly cos she has crohns and she said they've changed the prep recently and it's not as bad now?

Christ! When was this? A friend of mine gets them regularly cos she has crohns and she said they've changed the prep recently and it's not as bad now?
I have Crohn's too. I had one in March and it was different to the last one I had a few years ago. It was hideous, I mean the old prep wasn't great but I hated this one, it was a tropical flavour but by the evening sachet I was sick a few times and had to stop. Thankfully I was clear enough and my biopsies came back clear.
---
I've always been sedated. I didn't want to be sedated for my last one but they said they recommend it.

I was worried about the sedation and thought I might feel woozy and horrible all day, but it wasn’t like that at all. I felt normal the entire time and rested the rest of the day, but didn’t feel unwell.

Reactions: 3
When we say sedation - they don't knock you out they just give you a drug that makes you feel abit high.

Hello looking for tea and sympathy but hopefully some advice.

I had a massive IBS flare up earlier this week. My period was also late which is never a great combination. Today I've been in bed with stomach cramps and missed out on a much needed fun day with my kids.

My IBS has been fairly manageable over the years but the past few months have made wonder if PMS is a factor too. Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to manage this?

• Heart
Hi all just found this thread, it’s so nice to know I’m not alone in the world or made to feel like I’m going crazy.

I got diagnosed with IBS in 2003 after I lost two stone in a month from being unable to eat and being hospitalised as a result. Found I can’t eat many carbs such as pasta, rice, bread and potatoes (much to the chagrin of my Irish side - officially the joke in my family). So I managed it with diet and exercise.
Then in 2020 I ended up on two sets of antibiotics with a UTI. But with it being lockdown no GP saw me to confirm with the dipstick test, so basically I ended up with colitis due to killing all my good bacteria (lesson learnt always take yakult with antibiotics) as a result of having C Diff. I spent two weeks in hospital on a drip with crazy strong meds in isolation.
I ended up with worse stomach pain than before. Apparently the colitis is gone but I still have all of the symptoms. I begged my UK dr to help, had scans and tests to be told it’s IBS.
I moved to the states and within a month I had a colonoscopy biopsy and I’ve been told I’ve got microscopic colitis which doesn’t show on scans. Same symptoms and effects but invisible. As if life isn’t hard enough with any bowel condition, now it bloody hides.

• Heart
Hi all,

I have a colonoscopy scheduled the first week of June. I was given a prescription for Moviprep. I did it with Cleanprep ten years ago and it was horrid but I’ve been reassured that this one isn’t half as bad. Or maybe just half as bad! No horror stories please.

I’m looking for tips and tricks from any unfortunate experts with experience. But have folk followed particular diets in advance? Found ways to make the prep less uncomfortable? And again no horror stories please.

I know it’s not going to be pleasant, but I’ve had it before, I’ve had surgery involving intestinal resection, and at the moment am battling chronic diarrhoea so my threshold for discomfort has increased over the years!

I really just want to see if there’s anything I can do to make life a little easier on the days before, of and after.

no horror stories please!

❤

Hi all,

I have a colonoscopy scheduled the first week of June. I was given a prescription for Moviprep. I did it with Cleanprep ten years ago and it was horrid but I’ve been reassured that this one isn’t half as bad. Or maybe just half as bad! No horror stories please.

I’m looking for tips and tricks from any unfortunate experts with experience. But have folk followed particular diets in advance? Found ways to make the prep less uncomfortable? And again no horror stories please.

I know it’s not going to be pleasant, but I’ve had it before, I’ve had surgery involving intestinal resection, and at the moment am battling chronic diarrhoea so my threshold for discomfort has increased over the years!

I really just want to see if there’s anything I can do to make life a little easier on the days before, of and after.

no horror stories please!

❤
Okay. It's gross but doable.

Make your moviprep and put it in the fridge so it's ice cold. Drink it through a straw and get it right back on your throat so it avoids those taste buds. Get yourself a wedge of lime and suck on it after every sip.

Buy moist tissue paper wipes as your hole is gonna hurt from all the wiping.

I basically only eat all the stuff that's on your approved list for a week before so theres not too much to clear. Once your poo is running clear you can stop drinking the prep.

I have these twice a year so I see myself as an unfortunate expert.

Next time you have one ask for picolax instead.

• Heart
Reactions: 3