I will never buy from.. (fill in the blank) because they gift so much to social media influencers.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anything that is promoted by wealthy people that should show goodwill at a really tough time. Instead it’s greed....
Will name a few
Gousto
Daniel Wellington
Ava May
Joules
Shark ( learnt the hard way buying their crap)
Everything promoted by Housebuild and Justalittlebuild

these people could do so much to promote a brand in a charitable manner. But their greed takes over.
Absolutely agree!
Brands such as:
Daniel wellington
Readly
Tesco
Milk&more
Charlestedinteriors
The basket company
Joules
Sweaty Betty
The white company
Anything that is promoted by wealthy influencers in general and who also use their kids to sell or promote and increase engagement of their accounts
Justalittlebuild, huntersandheels, Thehousebuild berkshirebuild

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Hi! Excellent idea for a thread (y) Top of my list is Jo Malone, after they gifted LEM $,$$$ worth of those giant candles for her wedding. 😳 Haven't bought/sniffed anything of theirs since. ByTerrible, Laura Mercier, Estee Lauder, H&M... list goes on.

I DID buy the Victoria Beckham priming moisturizer (on sale + a free sample) recently just because LEM shunned it. I was already on the VB beauty mailing list and frankly relieved LEM didn't even bother to try it.

Here's my problem though... I do want honest reviews. There is nothing worse than wanting to buy an eyeshadow palette (for example) and then finding out after spending hard earned cash on one that the matte shades are patchy or don't blend nicely but the satin shades are really nice, I hate to return stuff like that because I know it just gets trashed. But, I can't really trust/ believe YT influencers any more. During this lockdown they were cleaning out their beauty rooms and they had *at least* 50 eyeshadow palettes each. That is C-R-A-Z-Y do they not see that?

Remember, these companies also send out units to physical stores. So there isn't much difference in expense to sending out another 100 on top of a unit for every department store in the world to demo/ set out on the counter space (also paid for). Whether its washer/ dryers, cosmetics, or perfumes.

I do understand that companies need to get the word out, and sending some units out for pr is how it's always been done to get eyeballs on products which they apparently feel is the only way to go during a lockdown. Clearly one issue is who it's being sent to... I mean the reason we're all here on tattle is that some of these influencers are just the worst.

The whole influencer gifting needs an overhaul. Maybe they could vet the influencers better? Only send out a certain number of sets (like 10?)

Maybe they could send out mini versions to test/ show, or borrow for a few months (where appropriate). That way we can have the ultimate experience of buying/owning the actual full size thing. Did anyone else receive the UD Vice tiny lipstick samples in the mail back in 2016? All the crazy colors? That was amazing. I think it was because I was an Ulta whatever the top tier was then. So maybe reward (even with samples or a voucher) our loyalty rather than a sub count?

Anywho - hope things change after this. 🤞 Especially the stupid pr trips I mean.... :rolleyes: it used to be to provide influencers new content but honestly it's just made them all lazy and the same.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Majority of the stuff given to Slimming World “influencers”

such as:-

hydratem8 bottles

Spices like JD (fell for it once; utter bollocks. Anyone with half a brain can make better stuff using basic herbs and spices)

that one cal f^cking jelly 😡 I really hate all that stuff

Sarah’s creative kitchen or whatever others punt pound land chocolate for big bucks

One from SW Gemma: low wood bay resort in Lake District. she is always there plugging it. Gutted as well as it does look pretty nice in fairness.

Only one I would probably continue buying is Urban Decay. Have loved their stuff for over 10 years; amazing and it’s good to get an ethical brand that’s good (minus the influencer gifting malark) not 100% why they need to go down this route? They’re well established and have a big base following anyway. 🤷🏻‍♀️
I actually stayed at this hotel after I got married and it is lovely

Nars - after they gifted that huge lipstick collection last year
Missoma - cheap and tacky in my opinion
Hello fresh
Readly
Jo Malone
Benefit

Am sure there are plenty others

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
Hotter shoes
Beauty pie
Benefit (will never buy again after the disaster with the eyebrow products a few years ago)

Reactions: 3
I love this thread! I absolutely detest this way of advertising by companies. Instagram has become a tacky market place. Greedy, unscrupulous traders peddling their wares. I try to avoid P & G ... actually anything promoted by Mrs.Hinch, M & S pissed me off big time sending out hampers, Dunelm, Shark to name just a few. I won’t touch any swipe ups. I wish companies would gift more deserving people and charities .

Reactions: 17
I get that brand trips encourage influences to shill product but I don’t get how they are meant to encourage consumers to buy. Like who looks at some generic looking woman, posing with make up in a sun drenched oasis and goes ‘oh yes! I *neeeeed* to buy Benefit’s new blush!’

Reactions: 6
I’ve been using Beauty Pie long before some ‘influencers’ started using it and love it so don’t want to give it up.
Yes, why Audible? (apart from it being Amazon obvs)

I can’t stand her. She is really fake believe me. She’s only interested in upping her own profile. Sad what she has gone through but I contacted her a while back and mentioned my own baby loss/ivf journey and because I don’t have many followers she was so abrupt and rude and unsympathetic. No help or support at all to me. All that glistens isn’t gold.
I am really surprised, I contacted her as well and she sent me the most lovely message and words of encouragement that really made my day. I wasn’t expecting a response as i didn’t really ask her anything.
My profile on insta is private and I have 200 followers (family, friends and colleagues).
I guess we all have bad and good days

Reactions: 6
I am really surprised, I contacted her as well and she sent me the most lovely message and words of encouragement that really made my day. I wasn’t expecting a response as i didn’t really ask her anything.
My profile on insta is private and I have 200 followers (family, friends and colleagues).
I guess we all have bad and good days
Well I think she’s fake AF, wouldn’t trust her and her frumpy dresses as far as I could throw them.

Reactions: 2
Im seeing lots mummy bloggers being sent childs farm stuff and its annoying me as i spend loads on this as its the only thing that doesn’t irritate my daughters eczema and i hate they are getting it for free when they can easily afford it

• Sad
Reactions: 13
Most fake tans use influencers to advertise which I understand but it does annoy me. I’ve seen so many instagrammers rave about Tanologist and say they only use it but its not got great reviews elsewhere. I can’t trust any influencer/YouTubers fake tan routines as every one I’ve watched is sponsored.

Also really hesitant of gym wear brands - I’ve had three pairs of leggings from Gymshark and two got holes in them within a couple months. They did refund my last pair despite it being months later which was nice but has made me question why they’re so hyped up by every fitness influencer.

Reactions: 2
Iconic London
Their cream contouring palette is good and so’s the liquid illuminator but the stick foundations are rubbish! Slide right off the skin! Not sure they’re worth being stocked in Harvey Nichols? Anyone else used it?