Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

thegossboss92

Y’all, I just had a total shock: I was watching a recorded episode of the Great British Sewing Bee and I had fallen asleep and just woke up to Huw presenting the news!! 🤯 I literally had about 10 seconds of thinking “no way have they unsuspended him already!!! He looks really well?!” and then I realized it was the recording still running 😱🫣

• Haha
Reactions: 16

Squittel

VIP Member
I was so proud of him that he had become so well known and respected and I was very proud of his achievements. He also did some excellent documentaries about Wales, such a sad end to a great career.
I totally get you. It’s not about defending him, but when you like and respect a famous person for their work and then they do something in their private life that you don’t agree with it’s so disappointing and makes it hard to enjoy the work they did.

Not comparing HE to Michael Jackson but there are a couple of MJ albums I really like and I must say I find it a lot harder now to enjoy his music for what it was without thinking about allegations against him. You end up almost mourning the music or content (what ever it may be) that you enjoyed because of what they’ve been up to in their private lives and the end of their career is just tragic from a personal standpoint.

LadyMuck

VIP Member
Because the issue is more complex. There‘s a difference between saying “it never happened” and saying “something happened but it wasn’t illegal and it’s none of your business anyway”. My guess is that his team are working on how to execute the second approach.
I get what you mean, but the second option is very much our business in that he's a highly paid, by licence fee taxpayers, public profile person. It is a news story, it is in the public interest. And coupled with the other 3 boys and the BBC young staff, and who knows how many more, this is proving to be a very immoral, seedy story. Whether some like it or not, those in very high positions need to be held to account. Jmo of course

• Heart

InTheDollsHouse

VIP Member
I don’t disagree agree with you but he could be bi.
Thank you. There’s a lot of emphasis on him being gay when there’s no basis for that.
It doesn’t make any difference what his sexuality is, really. It doesn’t change anything that he’s done.

LadyMuck

VIP Member
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool"
- William Shakespeare

• Heart

Jwren

VIP Member
I think for me what I struggled/struggle with A LOT (this isn’t aimed and anyone in particular, it really isn’t), from the onset …. they’re adults nothing to see here. I could say the same as other adults on the thread, I was 17 when I left home (I didn’t want to but had a difficult relationship with my father) so I had to. It was actually quite scary, I was completely on my own in life (not in a relationship) I didn’t leave home to get married, or live with a partner and I would say I was very streetwise but I was still VERY young. When I look at my daughters I think how could HUW, a man of that age, a relatively intelligent one, who’s lived a life and knows the difference between right and wrong. And seen in the world (and reported on it!) what’s good and bad. Yet has still chosen to privately message youngsters and basically mess with them and to me it’s just not right and never will be.

As far as the dress message and this is in no way an attack on anyone, it’s just my viewpoint. I don’t want to try and minimise that young staff member’s experience because I can see it could be quite uncomfortable/intimidating and if the BBC have seen it and stated they felt it was flirting, then to me it was.

There was a lovely Tattler (so sorry I can’t remember your name) that posted about their daughter who was dating a much older man. I think the mother still sees her daughter but the daughter can’t/doesn’t go to their home. I may have this completely wrong (and I apologise if I have) but I assumed it was because of the older man she was dating wasn’t welcome. If it were me and you can find a way to do this, I would welcome them into your home with open arms, so she never feels she has to chose, that way if he’s not right for her there’s more chance she will walk away. I say this because a similar thing happened to a school friend and she ended up having children and then was pretty much stuck with him for many, many, years even though she hated him a few years into their relationship.
We knew my SIL was in a relationship with someone who was feeding her drug habit, none of us liked him, so she was never allowed to bring him to family gatherings, which must have been difficult for her when we were all in couples. So one year to everyone’s horror 😱 (and it was our turn to do Christmas) I invited him too. A few months after that she left him for good and came to live with us for a bit. So for me it was well worth having a slightly uncomfortable Christmas. As the saying goes…. keep your friends close and your enemies even closer, obviously don’t let the person know you’re not keen on them 😉. In fact I would do the opposite and welcome them with open arms. That way you get to see how they treat your loved one, although I do appreciate they could be different behind closed doors.

Last edited:
  • Heart

VivienDarkbloom

It's worth bearing in mind that the statement issued by HE's wife was produced with the close guidance of Andy Coulson. It is very strategic and I would say very clever in how it aligns historic mental health issues with current struggles. Not saying it isn't true, but the wording and emphasis is a comms expert at work.

stardust21

VIP Member
From today's Daily Mail. Very interesting...View attachment 2317784
It’s not because he’s untouchable. It’s for the same reason the Sun have really backed off:

Despite how unpalatable all of the allegations may be, none of them are illegal. The man Is in an obvious serious way. Ethically speaking all journalists need to be careful with the story now, because it could easily be construed as a witch hunt, and if something happened that would put them and their employer in a very uncomfortable position.

News night shared their current findings, it was 3 people who received messages, nothing illegal.

Welloil

Reading that article and basing my opinion on how he describes these episodes my view is that HE has never suffered from severe depression illness.
I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if he put out this mental illness stuff knowing he had lots of skeletons and it'll be a very handy excuse to use in the future.
Like it or not but mental health is massively abused by people looking for a tool to silence and manipulate others.

thegossboss92

I just love Tattle and I love all your differing opinions, it helps me keep my own perspective balanced. I also just love this drama.

• Haha
  • Heart

Fishwife

Chatty Member
As a former psychiatric nurse I would like to argue with the assumption that people can't become more disinhibited in their fifties or older. It can be an early sign of dementia or other brain disorder. I am thinking of Mo Mowlan who was known for not closing the toilet door. In her case it was probably due to the brain tumour which caused her death. I am not trying to give an armchair diagnosis just saying that Hugh may not have been buying nudes for decades.

InTheDollsHouse

VIP Member
Kim Woodburn on gb news earlier said she's not sure how bad he is for example why couldn't he issue a short denial via his lawyers or his wife. Unless he's at death's door which she doubts he is.
Maybe next time she won’t hold back and tell us what she really thinks 🤭
---
The simple answer to that is he‘s likely guilty, not necessarily of something illegal. But for 6, or is it 7 youngsters (that we know of now to have come forward), I can’t think they would all be saying it if there were no truth to it.
Absolutely agree, those who have come forward about the messages are (IMO) telling the truth, and their perception of the messages is that they were inappropriate which is what’s important.

My only little hesitation is that until the content of the messages (to junior colleagues, and to people online) becomes clear, it appears at the moment that the content is a bit all over the place from ‘you look lovely in that dress today’ to ‘here’s £200, thanks for the cup of tea’.

Both are weird in their own right, but they are possibly different ends of the spectrum (IMO only - I’m really not trying to argue I promise!) and I hope it becomes much more clear what other things have been said, and if he has (or has not) done anything else beyond messages. Did he follow on the dress message with anything else, or was it just that? Was he clearly targeting specific kinds of people?

I’ve worked with all sorts of people, and there are some that if I’d had that dress message I’d have been over the moon, knowing they meant it genuinely. I’d have replied with an awkward ‘ah thank you, I was worried about wearing something other than jeans but tried to be brave 🙈

Other people could have sent it and I’d have immediately felt sick. Skin crawling, looking behind me to see if they were there, locking myself in the loo to calm down because I knew that was somewhere he couldn’t see me.
One of those worked in HR.

I absolutely support the BBC staff who have come forward about messages. I understand why they didn’t do it sooner. I wouldn’t have, in their position.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Miss Havisham

VIP Member
Yeah I was referring to the clergy really as opposed to the congregation
Ah yes, I see.

Thinking of HE though - if he is from a strict religious background, that doesn’t warrant his behaviour (as some posters have suggested). He was was born in 1961. I’m sure once he left the valleys he could have become a little more liberated.
No criminal act found, but he has behaved in a predatory manner, and whilst in a position of power. My own guess on this is that he was probably being blackmailed - and if he was - he must have had the sense to see it coming.
His best bet is to retire - and he is fortunate enough to be able to be able to afford a nice life in retirement.

• Heart

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
Just reread Dan Wootton 's statement last night, and I noted that he says "several dark organisations are trying to bring down the channel, including one fronted by a phone hacking convict". I wonder if Andy Coulson, HE'S crisis management is involved, it wouldn't surprise me.
Yeah because Wootton has never hacked someone’s phone has he? He talks total bollocks. I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t disappear from GB News soon.

• Wow

cee-bee

VIP Member
Poor George. He sounded like he was a much loved figure and colleague. He’d been living with cancer for a long time too, bless him.

• Sad